CVA Primer Pocket Issue? Too loose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kz106

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a CVA optima V2, I shoot T7 loose with T7 primers. The primers in the primer pocket are very loose and I get ALOT OF blow back out of the back of the breech plug to the point that there is a crud ring around the inner diameter of the breech plug against the firing pin are and all my primers are black can covered in crud. Should I contact CVA about this? Or maybe try a loose powder breech plug?

Let me know your thoughts because this is very annoying and creates an annoying cleaning issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Change primer brands. Those t7 primers are a headache. I suggest the Winchester primers in the blue box or CCI magnum primers. There's a ton of info here about shimming the primer pocket with small rubber O-rings or steel shims. There is equally as much conversation to be found on shimming the firing pin to get rid of excess head space. All of these will steer the gun towards clean firing but you may find that the Winchester primers take care this problem all on their own. I won't use a primer that's designated for black powder or the Pyrodex or t7 propellants at all. I use the Winchester 209 primers and have some CCI primers for just in case, but all of my shooting today is done with the Winchester numbers and I shoot clean all of the time.

Look for Nobel primers at a gunshop. They are usually cheaper than USA brands and fit the import plugs better.
nobel209.jpg

I use the W209 primers (blue box) in my Optima and get very little blow back. But I am shooting BH209.

The easiest way to stop the blow by around the primer is put one of these metric o-ring in the primer pocket, before the primer. Each o-ring will last about 25 shots, before needing to be replaced. If your rifle won't cock with the o-ring in place, switch to a shorter primer.

Busta informed me the Nobels are just as long/longer as the Win209s. I knew they were fatter (A) but i must have overlooked the length. If you look in the primer chart they are .302
331d3jb.jpg

Okay I'll definitely try the o ring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: CVA Primer Pocket Issue? Too loose?

GM54-120 said:
Busta informed me the Nobels are just as long/longer as the Win209s. I knew they were fatter (A) but i must have overlooked the length. If you look in the primer chart they are .302
331d3jb.jpg
Thanks for the great chart!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Back