Encore bore dimensions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86alaskan

Reaction score
Ok, so I took the time and slugged the bore of my Encore 209x50 endeavor barrel. I came up with a land diameter of .500 and a groove diameter of .509. Right now I'm using Harvester black smooth and black crush rib sabots. They both measure .500 at the base on average. Is there another kind of sabot that would give maybe a tighter fit or am I already on the right track? And, is this a normal measurement for one of these barrels?

.500 land to land should get you in the ballpark with either Harvester sabots or the MMP HPH-24 sabot. Some bullets may prefer a tighter fit such as the HPH-12 but it will be pretty tight unless you drop down to a .450ish bullet such as a Barnes.

Dont worry about the base diameter, they expand to fill the bore when firing.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

That's good to know about the fit. I've been practicing with the harvester smooth and 250gr .452 LFN bullets. I get decent accuracy and when I find the sabots back they have what appears to be good engraving on them from the rifling. I do plan on hunting with the 250gr T-EZ barnes with their yellow sabots. Would I be better off using the crush rib instead with the barnes?

I have the exact same questions so I'm interested in this thread. I shoot an older TC 50cal Omega and looking for the ideal accurate setup. I'm going to measure the bore today to hopefully help me make a ballpark selection without having to invest in a lot of different products for experimentation. My gun does not like the TC 250gr XTP's that come with a smooth black sabot. Groups at 3 inches. Would the crush rib improve POI? My rifle did do better with the TC shock wave mag express. 2 inch groups. Again comes with a smooth black sabot. Who makes the sabot's for TC bullets? I want to try Barnes 250 T-EZ blue tip, blue sabot. I'm wondering how does this bullet shoot using the blue sabot that comes with the package? I'm not opposed to investing in a different sabot to improve accuracy but wouldn't it be nice if the sabot that comes with the bullet work? Could I be that lucky? :lol: Will find out at the range.

MMP makes the sabots for T/C and Hornady. Mostly the MMP 3P-EZ and probably the HPH-24. Barnes also uses the HPH-24 in the TEZ line. Im not aware of any that come with the Harvester sabots now other than directly from Harvester.

The black crushed rib seems to be the most popular sabot for a TC muzzeloader. My Prohunter XT really likes the MMP h4h 3 petal ez sabots. The MMP 3 Petal EZ sabots are what come on Hornady 250gr SST’s and Hornady 250gr Monoflex. The Monoflex is Hornady’s all copper bullet. My Prohunter really likes the 250gr SST’s and 250gr Monoflex bullets. They shoot great and I like their prices better than the Barnes Bullets.

If you go to the top of this page the second thread down is Sabot + Bullet Total Diameters. It will tell you what size all the sabots are.

I believe the new Remington bullets made for their new magnum muzzeloader are Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets in harvester crushed rib sabots. They should work good in a TC.

Back