Optima V2 Pistol scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmmorin

Reaction score
Looking for a scope power recommendation for an optima V2 pistol. I am trying to decide on a fixed 2x or 4x scope. Not sure about a variable power. Not sure on manufacturer yet.
Any one have a set up they like?

Thanks

Mike

I have a Leapers 2X7 on mine and love it. Very clear, very easy to work with. The pistol is very accurate and sighted at 50 yards. The load is 63 grains of BH209 [weighed charge], 240 brain .44 cal XTP, green Hornady sabot.

Don't buy on the cheap....those under a c note even though they are available. Spend a hundred and a half at least and you'll be good. As far as power goes, I was between this scope and a straight 4 but when I went to order the four it was out of stock, so..... Also, don't get cheap rings and bases and when you screw them down, use lok-tite!

Proof.....

MeR8NhL.jpg

bushnell trophy is a good scope.. used them on my t.c encore got 2 for sale if you are looking for a 2-6x32 .. WORM

Are you dead set on a scope or open to the idea of a red dot ?

For woods hunting on a pistol I would go with either a red dot or a fixed 2X with the best glass I could afford.

red dots are ok as long as you have good light but as soon as it starts getting into low light shadows it gets really hard to see the body of the critter your shooting.. love them for midday or morning hunting though.. would go 2x over red dot.

I've got a 29 year old Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 that has been on my Optima V1 Pistol since 2011. It spent it's first 23 years on my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag, so it's had several hard recoiling loads ran through it over the years.

I'm sure there are a lot better scopes out there today, and my intention was to purchase a new Leupold for it after I found out how good the Optima Pistol shot. On the first range session, I was shooting such good groups, I couldn't bring myself to change scopes at that point.

80 grains Volume Blackhorn 209, 200 grain Shockwave, at 50 yards. 1510 FPS @ 10'.

Works great out to 75 yards so far. This was the first one at 60-65 yards. Went 20-25 yards after the shot, and was one of the quickest kills I've ever witnessed.

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_0333 (1).jpg
    100_0333 (1).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 334
I settled on a bushnell trophy with the long eye relief. 2-6 power. Thanks for the input. I went with a scope as I will be stand hunting with fairly open spaces on a farm in Maryland. My next question will be ballistic tip or hollowpoint sabot. I am thinkin that the velocity not being that of a long barrel, i should go with the hollowpoint.

I'd do the hollow-point option. Personally I use a 240 grain .44 cal XTP in my pistol, over a weighed 63 grain load of bh209 powder [90 grains by volume] and use a green sabot. The deer in the picture fell to a 250 grain .45 cal XTP last fall but I have done some dinking and have settled on this .44 cal load for this fall. I have 2 tags to fill during the regular season and the pistol goes to the woods after the first tag is filled. I have some deep curls I want to shoot a couple more times before hitting the woods with them and if I have the time before the late muzzie season pen to shoot them they may go along then. The XTPs in this gun are dandies though.

I'd also go a granulated powder direction too, be it 209, pyro or t7. I've found that accuracy in this gun needs some propellant load flexibility and that just isn't possible with pellets.

What Mr. Tom said you cant beat the 240 gr. XTP have killed a lot of deer with them and they just plain work and don't cost 1.20 apiece..my gun also shoots the 300 gr. Deeps curls and the 250 gr. Shockwaves very good.

I have a Weaver 1.5-4X20 scope I had mounted on a 41 revolver. I liked it. Clear with a useable magnification range. Its been in the closet a few years since I went back to open sights.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
That's some impressive shooting Busta!

Thanks, but that is only 50 yards off the bench and sand bag. Those pistols will shoot better than I can shoot them.

So I went with the BH209 abd some winchester 260 grain platnums. Had a box of 30 to play with. Group from a rest at 100 yards wit 80 grains powder. All went to hell when the weaver rail cam loose. Will be switching the rail to a DNZ game reaper 1 peice and to 240grain XTP. Will shoot again sunday and post report

Attachments

• group.jpeg
    group.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 203
If you Loctite bed the rail down, it will stay put. I do this with all the rails/bases on my rifles too. No surprises that way!

I will bed and loctite the the new mount. I have never been a fan of the weaver rail and rings system.

Back