80 gr of Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildTurkey

Reaction score
Anybody out there hunting whitetails using 80 gr (56 gr scale measure) of Blackhorn 209 and either a 300 gr or 250 gr bullet. Seems like that should be more than adequate for the task assuming accuracy is sufficient. Sighting in tomorrow. Previously used 110 gr by volume and a 300 XTP. grouped well but kicked like a mule. It seemed to be the darling of the internet for loads. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I use 80gr of BH209 in my Optima V2 pistol and 90gr of BH209 in the Optima V2 rifle, both shooting .452 300gr XTP/harvester crushrib sabots.

I tried 100gr of BH209 an found it was too stout for me as well and accuracy wasn't there like it is at the lesser loads.

I say shoot as heavy a load you are comfortable with that is accurate. 80 grains by volume may not open a 300 grain XTP up much, but a hit on an animal will tell you. I guess at the 80 grain level I'd shoot the 250 grain bullet just to get a tad bit more speed if I knew it shot accurate.

I've been using 80 grains by volume with a 250 grain bullet for a number of years. The shots have been from 30 to a little under a hundred yards, I've yet to recover a bullet because they've all passed thru. None of the deer have made it more than 30 or 40 yards.

I shot the 300 gr XTP w/90 gr of pyrodex RS and out to 75 yds which is as far as I shot any of the 5 deer using that gun/load and they all had 50 cent size exit holes and their lungs were turned to mush. Id think 80 gr of BH209 would have just as much velocity or awfully close to it.

I have been experimenting a lot lately with 80-90 grains of Blackhorn along with .452 250 gr XTP and .430 240 gr XTP's. I tried 100-110 grains but was never really happy with the accuracy with those loads. I found when I dropped the grains I started touching bullet holes at 100 yds. I have taken a lot of deer with 90 grains of Blackhorn and a .430 240gr xtp. Have never recovered a bullet. Recently I dropped that load to 85 grains and my accuracy has improved even more. I have been very happy with the accuracy at the range that I have been getting with 80 grains of Blackhorn and a .452 250 gr xtp. This has been done with two different Omega's. Sometimes I think less can be more!

Blackhorn publishes load data with 80 grains by volume and a wide range of XTPs. Each is roughly traveling at 1700 FPS at chrono distance.

This should be ideal for expansion of pistol bullets. I usually use 100 grains but I don't really know why. I guess in case I have the longer shot but so far 135 yards is my longest.

Very pleased with with my range session yesterday. I shot hornady 250 gr SST and 300 gr XTP's. The 80 gr load was easy shooting and pleasant. The heavier bullet was the most accurate with 3 shot at an inch. The lighter bullet opened up to about a an inch and a half which is still pretty darn good in my book. The sabot was tighter to get down the bore. I will experiment with 90 gr loads next chance out and both the 250's and the 300's. I was working the club sight-in clinic so I was able to do quite of bit of shooting for free. Always surprises me when they ask me to shoot their gun. I can causally bring it in with 3 shots and then hand it over to them. :yeah:

The gun club needed additional workers for our annual sight in clinic so I went out. I brought my CVA MR along just to have something to tie me over if it got slow. 300 gr Hornady XTP with their red sabot over 80 grains Black horn 209 with a Federal 209A primer. Crazy accurate at 100 yards. 3 shots under 1 inch :yeah: . I was expecting the average 3 to 4 inch group typical of muzzys. 80 grains is enjoyable to shoot as well. I intended to work it up to 90 or 95 grains but will be loaded up with 80 grains for the Wisconsin opener on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back