Strange zero Issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddown5

Reaction score
Shooting 90 grains BH 209 Encore 209 Stainless have it zeroed in with 240XTP I have a Sightron 1.5X 6 scope which has 1 click"= 1" settings been shooting less than 1" groups at 100 yards.
I tried to go to 300 grain SST bullet with red Sabot its shot about 2.5 inches low. Thought this would be easy went up three and bullet raised an inch?on second shot. Gave it another 3 clicks got another inch, Now i'm scratching my head? whats going on? Thinking my scope is suspect I shoot a 240 XTP 6 inches high. Any idea whats going on?? Only had gun and scope2 weeks.
Been shooting muzzleloaders for years but different kind of scope 1 inch clicks instead of four I had Nikon Omega on other gun and don't remember bullet weight affecting scope adjustment.

With the 240 grain a click is one inch with the 300 grain it seems to be almost a 3 to one ratio. After adjustments the 240 grain raised 6 inches the 300 grain only raised 2 inches that is what seemed strange to me. All my other scopes have been 4 clicks to the inch but I have confirmed this Sightron is 1 click equals i inch @ 100 yards. I have never experienced bullet weight affecting scope adjustment.

I was getting on Paper the other day at 100 was 6" up and 6" left if it was 1/4 should have been 24 clicks up 24 right took it right off paper went back 20 center of bull verified by making adjustments strange I thought but it is accurate adjustment. Scope marked 1"/100 YARD on turret

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81713 ... icle-matte

This is the scope it really is nice and like I said I'M SHOOTING about a inch group with the 240 XTPs so it does work

This is all I found on the scope. It says 1/4" per click. If it is not correct maybe you need to contact Sightron.

gpdZXKL.jpg

It sounds like you used the Red Ez-load sabots with the SST. That might contribute to the elevation change. Some of mine that have loaded easy shot different POI verses a tighter fit/harder to load combo. I have also see big change in weight cause it too.

I did some research also .I can't find any Sightron that has 1 click moves 1 inch . I have 4 Sightron scopes all are 1/4 clicks they also make 1/8 click scopes but I have never heard of a scope like that . Not saying it does not exist.

If you click on the Midway link it clearly states 1"inch/100 yards as it does on the turret if you move 4 clicks with 240 grain it moves it 4 inches. Don't know what to say when I was zeroing gun it gave me fits I was on the target and then I'd go completely off. As soon as I figured out the scope had it zeroed in 4 shots. I'd never seen a scope like this either but it is what it is. Myself and the Range Officer, a Gunsmith have all verified markings and operations. my Question was if Bullet weight could effect the 1" click ratio having never shot the Hornadys with the red sabot 300 grain SST

guess a little more powder if its elevation Like I said First scope I've had like this. It's really quality scope Leopold pedastle mount rock solid. I got the Encore which had never been fired and scope for 495 so I'm happy and it's good for minute of deer. It's just when your brain has been trained to 1/4 clicks your thinking has to readjust to everything

Nope doesn't work that way with the bullet impact 1 click is one inch @ 100 yards click 4 bullet moves 4 inches until I switched to 300 grain bullet with different sabot.

ddown5 said:
Nope doesn't work that way with the bullet impact 1 click is one inch @ 100 yards click 4 bullet moves 4 inches until I switched to 300 grain bullet with different sabot.

I really think you are mistaken. It is 1 click equals 1/4" @ 100. The indication on the scope dial confirms this. If you were to move the scope say from the number 2 to the number 3 you would be moving the POI 1". But that would take 4 clicks to make that movement.

Try what we are suggesting and see if you do not have better luck getting your POA aligned with the POI.

It seems what is really throwing him off is the difference in POI between the 300gnSST and the 240gn XTP he is shooting. Per his initial post the 300gn was moving about 1/4 in per click. When he shot the 240 it was much higher. I can't see that a product of the scope moving anything if it is grouping with both bullets.

Before ever moving any scope adjustments did you try shooting both bullet combos with the same initial settings?

We had three of us working on it Saturday I was 6 inches high and 6 inches left if it were a 1/4 inch scope 24 clicks would bring it to zero. 6x4=24 Well that took it completely off target. Moved it back 20 clicks in each direction perfectly zeroed. I've had five different muzzleloaders Bushnell,Leupold, 3 different Nikon scopes zeroed them all. It's not like the zero process is new to me. what was new is the 1 inch clicks in both elevation and windage if it was just one of those maybe a scope problem but it's made that way. Found out a few scopes are.

yes before changing anything 240 Xtp 1 1/2 group center bull 3 shot group 300 set Hornady 1 1/2 group 3 inches lower

ddown5 said:
yes before changing anything 240 Xtp 1 1/2 group center bull 3 shot group 300 set Hornady 1 1/2 group 3 inches lower

Would you post the name of the scope and the model of the scope again please?

Back