To drill or not to drill?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKEEE169

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk on here about breach plugs,so took one of mine out of the M.L. and looked at it.Such a small hole.I've never had a problem shooting pellets,but am planing on shooting real black powder come Dec.9th.I generally run a retractable nipple pick after i fire it.I ran a 1/16" drill bit down it and was thinking would it really hurt just to drill it out,i can see the end of the bit not that much medal there.over time i think it will open up on its own.I do weigh all advice given here.

I believe that the fire/flash hole on a CVA Accura BP is about .031" to .035" while 1/16" = .0625" which may be too large if you were to drill it out. I don't think that you will have a hang fire with your unmodified BP & you should at least try it first.

Real black powder ignites easier than pellets so i dont see why you would even consider drilling out the flash hole? The only thing you will accomplish is wearing out your plug faster and putting more "back pressure" on the primer.

GM54-120 said:
Real black powder ignites easier than pellets so i dont see why you would even consider drilling out the flash hole? The only thing you will accomplish is wearing out your plug faster and putting more "back pressure" on the primer.

x2

I have sent all 3 of my T/C speed breeches into Modern Powders and they drilled them out to .032" for free.

A lot of confusion about this the Flash hole is fine!!!!!
The purpose of the drill bit is not to open up the little tiny hole by the powder or pellets. The purpose is to clear the pathway from the hole where the primer sits to the little hole this channel clogs with hard carbon from the 209 shotgun primer. if this channel is reduced by 25% the heat hitting the power or pellets is reduced. A Thompson Center takes a 1/8 inch drill bit A CVA takes a 7/64 inch drill bit it takes a while to get out the carbon. I get a white sheet of paper or paper plate and start the process turn a bit and then tap on white paper a lot of black stuff will come out "thats Carbon" it's very hard it can take 10 minutes or more depending on how many shots on the plug. You will be rewarded with more positive ignition and less blowback all the flame going through the little hole. It really does make a difference. Some people never realize this problem exists but it does.

His original post was about opening up the small hole at the end where the powder sits, not cleaning the carbon build up out of the inside.

Latest posts

Back