Knight FPJ conversion kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Can someone remind me who makes the good bare primer conversion kit for Knights? I was thinking Lehigh? Perhaps more important than that, are there any still left anywhere or does someone have one to part with?

SuperKirby said:
Can someone remind me who makes the good bare primer conversion kit for Knights? I was thinking Lehigh? Perhaps more important than that, are there any still left anywhere or does someone have one to part with?
The one your thinking of was made by Lehigh but are not made anymore due to contracts with knight, The last "Kits" (plug and a bolt adapter) was bought up by Buddy Truckley. Not sure if he has any left as the last guy I gave this too did not let us know. Email him and he usually gets back pretty quick. IF he has any left let us know. They do not come with the vent liner.

This is a copy of the last email I had from Buddy.

[email protected]

""Hey Shawn,

They are one delivered for $45 or two delivered for $80.

Thanks

Buddy T""""

IF you have the adapter I would recommend going with Bestill's plug. No vent liner as it has a Tungsten Carbide bushing in it. I have one in my ultra light and it is a great plug.

Thanks. I’ll send him an email and will let you know if there’s any left. Will that work with a standard bare primer plug or does it have to be one for a conversion?

SuperKirby said:
Thanks. I’ll send him an email and will let you know if there’s any left. Will that work with a standard bare primer plug or does it have to be one for a conversion?
It is a bare primer plug and has the adapter you put in the end of the bolt to hold bare primers instead of the FPJ. You still need to get the Ventliner from Lehigh or ASG (arrow head sporting goods)

This is what you get. This is a pic of 2 kits.

5mvVpye.jpg

The original Lehighs DO NOT fit the Mountaineer IIRC. The breach plugs are different.

Kirby i thought you had a Mountaineer 1-20?

A new bare primer bolt also?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:

Are you asking because you’re curious or because you have one you were offering up? If you have one you’d like to get rid of shoot me a pm

Re: RE: Re: Knight FPJ conversion kit

SuperKirby said:
herschel conyers said:

Are you asking because you’re curious or because you have one you were offering up? If you have one you’d like to get rid of shoot me a pm
I don't have an extra bolt. The title of the thread "conversion" i was thinking a bolt was also needed with a breech plug for a mountaineer.

Alright, so here’s what I did. I thought I had the fix figured out. Now I’m not sure.

When I got my .45 Mountaineer the bolt was rough. The primer pocket was not great and it seemed harder than your typical Knight to open. I spent some time with a dremel, a file and a pick and pulled some burrs out of the primer pocket. Sent the gun to bestill for a plug and when I got it back it was cleaned up enough that I could at least take a few shots before having to pry the primers out. It was functional.
The difficult bolt handle still bothered me. I noticed there was a little groove forming where the bolt surfaces meet. I mentioned it on here about polishing it with a dremel. Seemed like the general consensus was that it shouldn’t hurt to try. So I did. Well, then we had a heck of a summer with house problems and health problems. I realized the other day that the season was only a couple weeks away and I hadn’t had a chance to even start prepping for it. Pulled the Mountaineer out and I apparently made it worse. Like, the bolt handle barely opens kind of worse. And you really have to crank on it.
I can pick up an FPJ bolt handle for a disc extreme at a reasonable price which was my original plan. From there i have a western breech plug I can use if needed or I was hoping to pick up the Lehigh FPJ bare primer conversion, but now I’m not sure they’ll work together?

I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any. I take responsibility for causing my problem as I should have sent it in instead of messing with it myself. I like to tinker. But now I have 13 days to figure out a solution or the season is off.

Re: RE: Re: Knight FPJ conversion kit

herschel conyers said:
SuperKirby said:
herschel conyers said:

I don't have an extra bolt. The title of the thread "conversion" i was thinking a bolt was also needed with a breech plug for a mountaineer.

Makes sense. Just checking. Thanks

I had a mountaineer that the bolt was very hard to open, almost to the point of using a cheater pipe, no joking. I tried every lube i had on hand. Teflon, synthetic, graphite, chassis grease, all worked for 2 or 3 cycles of the bolt , then the problem returned. The product i used is to prevent stainless steel from galling it is permatex nickel antiseize. Apply it to all bearing surfaces of the bolt and reciever, cycle the bolt several times while holding the trigger in fire position. Reapply and repete. Mine took half dozen applications to slick up. After a range session and cleanup reapply.

Sounds like about where I’m at. If I have to use grease like that I will but I can’t help but think that’s not the way it should be. I’m hoping someone else has a better solution. If not then I guess thats the route I’ll go.

SuperKirby said:

Did you get a response from Buddy Truckley to see if he had any?

Imo best fpj conversion to bare is lehigh bolt adapter kit from truckley then let me fit it with a custom breech plug.

SuperKirby said:
Sounds like about where I’m at. If I have to use grease like that I will but I can’t help but think that’s not the way it should be. I’m hoping someone else has a better solution. If not then I guess thats the route I’ll go.

Correct, the grease should not be necessary. Contact Knight and address your problem to Justin Perry. I think he will be able to help you fairly easily...

Back to the BP and adapter - Remember what Buddy has or had is for the DISC Extreme/Elite Rifle. The Mountaineer Plug is longer.

sabotloader said:
Correct, the grease should not be necessary. Contact Knight and address your problem to Justin Perry. I think he will be able to help you fairly easily...

Back to the BP and adapter - Remember what Buddy has or had is for the DISC Extreme/Elite Rifle. The Mountaineer Plug is longer.

I emailed Buddy yesterday morning and got an email back this morning. He does still have the kits though he didn't say how many. They are still the same price as listed above.

I sent Justin an email on Saturday and haven't heard back from him. I explained the problem initially and the problem after I tried to remedy it. I hope he can help but we'll see.

I'm confused on the adapter thing. I was hoping I could use a Disc Extreme FPJ bolt with the adapter in my Mountaineer bare primer plug. I initially thought that would work. I take it that it won't? I'm going to pick up the DE bolt as worst case I can use it with the Western conversion plug I have. At least that way I'll be able to use the Mountaineer for muzzleloader season. I probably need to just get a new Mountaineer bolt handle but I don't think I can make that happen right now.

SuperKirby said:
sabotloader said:

I emailed Buddy yesterday morning and got an email back this morning. He does still have the kits though he didn't say how many. They are still the same price as listed above.

I sent Justin an email on Saturday and haven't heard back from him. I explained the problem initially and the problem after I tried to remedy it. I hope he can help but we'll see.

I am hoping with you... Justin has changed the atmosphere at Knight in the Service area - certainly hope that continues...

I'm confused on the adapter thing. I was hoping I could use a Disc Extreme FPJ bolt with the adapter in my Mountaineer bare primer plug. I initially thought that would work. I take it that it won't?

That is exactly what I do with my Mountaineers and U-Lites...

IMG_0002.jpg

The adapter is the key and at this time to me they are approaching being worth Gold since no-one is making them. There is or can be a slight problem... I am finding the newer Knight Mountaineer Breech Plugs are slightly longer than the original or the seem to be. So when you install a FPJ bolt in a Mountaineer the bolts cams up against the nut on the BP and will not close completely. I beat the problem by turning off a few thousands from the nose of the BP so it would fit deeper into the rifle. The bolt then closes very easily. Since I shim my BP's that works well for me - I just shim it accordingly.

I think that is what Jeff (BESTILL) was indicating in his post. If you have the FPJ bolt and an adapter his plug would be the thing to get. For myself it is still easier to shim the BP to my needs and with the Mountaineer plug drill out the vent liner and install a replaceable new Lehigh liner.

I'm going to pick up the DE bolt as worst case I can use it with the Western conversion plug I have. At least that way I'll be able to use the Mountaineer for muzzleloader season. I probably need to just get a new Mountaineer bolt handle but I don't think I can make that happen right now.

There is a very good chance that either the older DE bolt or even the newer DE bolt would do exactly what you want. With either of these two FPJ bolts you would probably need to use #11 ignition. Getting a Musket capper into the FPJ area is a bit tricky - it can be done....

Latest posts

Back