new Firehawk pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well .54 Firehawk just arrived via big brown truck, had to open box in front of UPS driver as the box was all smashed and crushed..luckily the gun didn't have a mark on it.
If this gun isn't brand new who ever cleaned it got it spotless cannot tell if its ever been fired..it does have 3 little rub marks on stock that may rub out, show up as white spots in pics.
It came with a nice little Cabelas Pineridge 2x7x32 scope which is really bright and clear with nice fairly thick but not too much so crosshairs.. anyone know who made these for Cabelas?
It came with musket cap nipple which is great as I have about 800 musket caps.

e8u1hu.jpg

qn8qcx.jpg

2n9w0vr.jpg

seo9ds.jpg

Love the walnut and blue.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Looks Great! They sure did use nice wood on those Firehawk's. Can't wait to see a range report.

yeah it has the QLA, but I heard these early ones with the qla would shoot conicals well definitely going to find out, going to try no excuse and some .50 cal no excuse in sabots and some .45 conicals duplexed in sabots...serial number is in the 6,000 range.

toytruck said:
8) Like already said that walnut stock just sets off the entire gun. Does it have a QLA?

dbowling said:
yeah it has the QLA, but I heard these early ones with the qla would shoot conicals well definitely going to find out, going to try no excuse and some .50 cal no excuse in sabots and some .45 conicals duplexed in sabots...serial number is in the 6,000 range.
Took some carnuba wax and waxed stocked and barrel it really shines now, these guns have the best bluing Ive seen on a muzzleloader, the old Ruger 77/50`s had nice bluing also.

toytruck said:
8) Like already said that walnut stock just sets off the entire gun. Does it have a QLA?

Nice looking rig! What twist is it?

dbowling said:
I ordered some weaver mounts for gun so I can get scope lower hate raising my head to look thru scope..

twist is 1:38

Ok thanks.

My previous post was going to say nice looking rig except the hideous see through mounts but I deleted the second part as to not offend. But now that you say your getting new rings I can say it lol. Never been a fan of the looks of those.

Yeah I hate them also, I ordered some for my shorty .54 Renegade I had Bobby Hoyt do as its been drilled/tapped for them and took them off 2 days after I put them on.. it now has a set of CVA/Mountaineer Fiber optic sights and they are awesome.. Mountaineer front sight and I believe its a CVA rear sight found it in my box of sights, works perfect though.The Mountaineer rear sight wouldn't adjust high enough.

03mossy said:
dbowling said:
I ordered some weaver mounts for gun so I can get scope lower hate raising my head to look thru scope..

Ok thanks.

My previous post was going to say nice looking rig except the hideous see through mounts but I deleted the second part as to not offend. But now that you say your getting new rings I can say it lol. Never been a fan of the looks of those.

dbowling said:

One thing I didn't care for with my FireHawk was the scope base only had one screw holding the base to the receiver. I never had a problem with that, but prefer two screws for better stability. T/C corrected that with the Black Diamond rifles I believe.

I used the "flame thrower" nipple on my FireHawk also, worked great!! The breechplug is not removable as you probably know.

If I hadn't sent mine off for the QLA I would probably still have it!

I never had any problems with the scope base on my original Firehawk I had, as long as its loc tited good should be good to go..I ordered the 209 conversion kit from a guy over on huntingnet.com should have it in a few days, don't know If I will ever use it as musket caps work just fine..also ordered another flamethrower musket cap nipple off ebay.

toytruck said:
dbowling said:

One thing I didn't care for with my FireHawk was the scope base only had one screw holding the base to the receiver. I never had a problem with that, but prefer two screws for better stability. T/C corrected that with the Black Diamond rifles I believe.

I used the "flame thrower" nipple on my FireHawk also, worked great!! The breechplug is not removable as you probably know.

If I hadn't sent mine off for the QLA I would probably still have it!

The Firehawk is a really nice rifle.

My .54 Firehawk came from a pawn shop in fine condition. Cost all of $100. It's a very early gun with no QLA. The Firehawk gets really cruddy, especially when using 209 primers. Mine uses #11 caps and goes bang every time.

Never had any problem with the scope mounts despite having fired dozens of 330 grain hard cast saboted bullets with 100 grains of powder.

I have a T/C Firehawk that I bought new back in about 1995. I got the 209 conversion kit, and with 209 primers, accuracy was not good. If you want to convert the # 11 ignition, I would suggest a musket cap nipple. Just unscrew the #11 nipple, and the musket cap nipple screws right in. I have had good accuracy using Hornady FTX .44 caliber, .430, 225 grain, with an MMP white sabot for .54 calibers. I use 90 grains of 777 FFG. I never had any luck with conicals with this MZ. Even though I have a couple of newer, more modern MZ's the Firehawk remains my favorite.

Back