Thanks for the help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrbuk

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to the board members who have responded to my posts or private messages. Especially 1874sharpshooter and edmehlig!

Four or five years ago I only owned one muzzleloader and I only used it as a teaching tool in my hunter education classes.

Thanks to Chet I own 3 more White Rifles and my buddy has a couple Knights and 3 Whites.

I pestered Chet with questions, which he always answered and we eventually bought several Whites from him.

In 2015 my buddy drew a Colorado muzzleloader bull tag. Chet recommended a load and we went to the range to try it.

1.5 MOA or better with a Lyman peep sight was the result out of a M97 & a S91. Both rifles were money out to 200 yards

My buddy killed a nice bull the third day.

This year I drew a Nevada muzzleloader bull tag for the Ely area. I got my 45 caliber super 91 dialed in with some of Ed Mehlig's 465 grain conicals and Pyrodex P. Easily sub MOA with a scope. And with the irons I could shoot it about 1.5 MOA.

I must say Ed makes a super consistent accurate bullet. And he is a super nice guy.

My buddy has a 45 caliber fast twist Knight Mountaineer that he bought after talking to Chet a few too many times.

That rifle with BH209 and a Parker 275 BE also proved to be super accurate (.5 MOA with a scope).

Again I pestered Chet on sight set ups and ended up with Globe sights up front on both rifles a Lyman rear sight on the White and a Phoenix Precision with adjustable iris on the Knight.

I elected to hunt with the Knight as the shots were probably going to be longer.

I hunted several giant bulls but couldn't get inside 375 yards on them. I felt very confident in the rifle /bullet /shooter combo to 300 yards.

After hunting 7 days we lowered our standards slightly. We spotted an older bull on the 10th day. Got back on him in the afternoon and waited for him to get out of his bed.

I was at 195 yards, my first shot took out a front shoulder but not fatal, second shot probably would have been fatal (quartering away to far forward, one lung) wobbly but 3rd shot and he went right down. My first muzzleloader animal ever!

Super cool older bull, we took pictures and got to breaking him down.

No the bad part of the story We came upon an injury that we eventually found had left him gravely ill, and septic. Lots of white pus in a pocket and in his chest cavity. I was not going to take that meat home to my family.

The game warden agreed and after investigating said it was the worst he's seen.

The end result is I get the same tag for next year!
So a huge thanks to all those who replied to me and helped.

b0c297a0c23c85acf6a38bb229128066.jpg

27d71a0dff8fe401bf41a3834b27429c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man they are big ! I'm gonna go on a Colorado Elk hunt next year . First time hunt . I have no idea what I'm doing but look forward to giving it a try . Nice bulls fellows !

Lowered your Standards! :shock: They both look Tremendous to me! Congrads to you both! :applause:

Tremendous looking bulls . It sure is nice when all the preparation and practice pays off. Congratulations to you both . It’s shame about your bull but in it way it’s kinda like a bonus . You got to hunt a nice bull and now you get to do it all again next year also . Nice shooting :) and next one may be even better . Now that you got them Whites and that fast twist Knight the next step is a Custom :)

Man, that is one GREAT LOOKIN BULL ELK!!!! Hopefully, the one you'll get next year will be even bigger and you'll do it right by using your White!! :lol:

Tremendous bulls for sure.
You're story of assistance from Ed & Chet can be replayed to just about every hunter or shooter out there willing to learn - there is no replacement for experience, to me your endeavor was just as important if not more than the hunt itself.
Looking forward to your hunt results next year.

Outstanding bulls for both and congrats. I too have found the members on this site to be extremely generous and patient while bringing us "new guys" along. Sorry to hear your bull was unfit for the table but at least you get to hunt next year and with your knowledge and confidence I would bet you tag an even bigger bull.

52 is spot on. It would take years and a lot of range time to learn what Chet has passed on and now he says custom [emoji23].

Thanks for the compliments. Great bulls for sure. I did hunt with a guide in a top area. We tried to kill the bull below for 4 days and couldn't get into range as he bedded in the thickest country.

The picture is of Brock, my guide. He relocated the bull in the rifle season and his hunter connected. We hunted a couple other jumbo sized bulls.

Bottom line is I'm a archer and wouldn't be shooting at the level I'm at with great equipment without help.

I'm very thankful to all who helped.

d55ba86847f573fbf59adbf548f0f918.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, congrats! Fantastic bulls and great job on the hunt and the prep for the hunt :yeah: :D

Yep Chet is a great guy and a very appreciated and knowledgeable member on this site. He and many other have really helped myself and many others learn alot and take MLing to the next level.

So did you get to keep the antlers/cape?

[quote="WV Hunter"

So did you get to keep the antlers/cape?[/quote]

I wish

No they keep everything if you elect to get a new tag..

Latest posts

Back