Good day at the Range in Long Island..Finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Today was the Last day for me to get ready for the Ohio Deer season that starts a week from Monday. I'm heading out very early next Saturday morning. The Family always gets together on Sunday for a big get-together since I am not there on Thanksgiving day, got to work Friday. :( But I have the next 2 weeks off. :D The Weather man said there is a big weather front moving in today so had only a short time this morning to Git er Done. I had planned to start hunting with the Ultra lite and then switch to the MK-95 .54cal, but after working with someone to get a KRB7 running good I changed my mind and got the desire to take in out instead of the MK. Poor thing had thought I forgot all about it, since it has not left the safe in several years.

This morning was a very Gray morning and even had a bit of some type of haze on the range when I got to the range and it was about 32* but seemed almost dead calm. I started off with the Ultra Lite as it goes first this season. I had shot about 3 weeks ago and had it set at about 1 1/2" high but after cleaning I had checked the Ring screws and had found one loose, so Pulled it apart and checked everything and re-bore sighted it. So needed to double check my POI.

Load was 120gnV of BH209, MMP-HPH 24, .452 465gn Lehigh CF and Win 209. First shot was low and right where the Black spot was. made one scope adjust up and left and fired 3 more. Group as right a 3/4" at 100 yards.

M5gd9qy.jpg

I was going to leave it alone so pulled the target and put up a new one for the KRB. On the way back to the bench decided to fire one more and then move POI up a few clicks and a couple clicks right. I only had one box of these Lehighs left so just shot 2 to verify and knew the weather was headed here. The lower right was re-sighting the KRB with some 250gn XTPs, scope on it has been swapped a couple times.

zou1dUu.jpg

Next up was the KRB7. Same load as the Ultra Lite except I use the Rem STS primer in it. First 3 shots (after sighting in with the XTP's) are the ones low and right a tad. I dropped the 3rd shot a bit. I went over to help another guy for a few minutes and when I came back I adjusted the scope up 2 clicks and then shot the last 2 250gn Bloodlines I had so I could save the Lehigh's. The Wind was starting to pick up and I was rushing and must had held a bit left, but Elevation was pretty good so I left it alone. After this the Wind really kicked in and had rags and targets blowing around. Guess Mother nature remembered where the switch on the wind machine was. By the time I got home the Trees were really bending, like Troy Landry says "It's a Tree Shaker". Supposed to rain and blow 30mph with gusts to 60mph tomorrow. :( We have had way too much of that this year! :evil:

JMT3ise.jpg

Thanks guys. Wish I had more time to work with the KRB but it should do fine. Mother Nature sure has not been kind to us out here on the Island with good conditions to shoot this year. Seems most Weekends it was either raining or the Wind was blowing like the devil.

Latest posts

Back