Knight Ultralite 50 cal proven loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Vette

Reaction score
My hunting partner picked up a Knight Ultralite when they were recently on sale. It's taking a while for his preferred scope rings to arrive, so the time we have to set it up is waning before Muzzleloader season starts.

We plan on using BH209 just like my rifles. I have a variety of bullets and sabots here, and I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions based on their own experience as to what to try first. He'd like to at least get it "on" good enough to use this year, then work later on tweaking it. As such, deer-killing loads for up to 150 yards are all we need for now.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Shot mine yesterday. If he shoots a .452 bullet the MMP-HPH24 will fit great. I shot Win 209 primer (blue Box) 120gnV of BH, .452dia 265gn Lehigh CF.

Target is here.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31055

I have used 110-120 grains of B209 in my Knights, kinda backed off just a bit to 110-115 grains lately, not any noticeable difference. I like a nice bore fit, not to tight or too loose with the saboted bullets. That means a 'Crush-Rib' sabot from Harvestor usually. The supplied sabots you may get with bullets may be just fine, test yourself. The crush rib sabots can be a tad loose in my 50 cal, just right in my 45 cal. Of course the exact bullet you use is key.

Years back I often used a Hornady 250 grain SST in my 50. They shot very well and did mostly fine for me on deer. You will never get a pretty mushroom with one, just a mangled hunk of lead & copper, or separation. Most of the time I have a pass-thru with a soft tissue shot, no bullet to recover.

I normally use a 250 or 300 grain XTP or a Barnes copper bullet now. The Barnes copper has the prettiest mushroom in the woods, just like the ad. Use an appropriate prime with B209.

I'm just back from a deer hunt, a nice buck & anterless with my 45 cal, 200 grain XTP this time. I like a nice scope too, 3-9 Zeiss Conquest currently.

Killed two deer this year with my ultralight using 64 grains by weight blackhorn 209, w209 primer and 250 grain Barnes tmz. The load is accurate and low recoil. If you use the search, I chronographed the load for a dope chart.

I have a Knight DISC EXTREME,my load is 90 grn BH209 By volume with a 200 grn T/C shockwave coming out about 1950 I would think,killed several deer and coyotes bobcats,never lost an animal yet.Complete pass thru on all,Buck this year was hit in left front shoulder came out right rear flank.

Thanks guys. My TC rifles have a tighter bore, so the Barnes T-EZ works much better than the TMZ, for example. I have some TMZs from experimenting, and I think he'd like to use those if possible.

I know what you mean about the SST, aka TC Shockwave. I had one a few years back that I swore I could reload and shoot again, as only the tip was deformed. Interestingly enough, in my 450 Bushmaster rifle the FTX worked much better than I thought it would last week taking a nice buck. So, Hornady occasionally gets it right.

Shawn - nice shooting. Thanks for the information.

Hi all, I posted to another thread that I am having to make a last minute switch from my smokeless conversion to my knight ultralite 50 cal for this muzzleloader season. I have some Blackhorn powder, both versions of MMP black sabots, and some Parker 275gr ballistic extreme bullets. I have read through several internet posts and surprisingly didn't find much for this combination. Any of you have any experience or recommendations for this combination? I also have some Barnes TMZ I believe 290gr but have to verify weight. Our muzzie season is right around the corner so looking for a quick and easy load to get the knight ultralite sighted in and ready to hunt. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back