Cva or tc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stcspiderman

Reaction score
Not sure why you couldn’t hit paper with the wolf I would have sent rifle in to cva at that point, I had a wild as my first Inline, I’ve since then moved over to all Thompson center rifles plus a few knights, I do still have the wild and another cva, just prefer the Thompson center rifles, I think you will be happy with either choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve no experience with CVA guns as yet but I’ve got quite a few TC’s, including a Triumph. The Triumph shoots great and I’ve never had any problems with it but I find it a bit awkward to carry compared to some of my other rifles. I’d suggest handling both guns before deciding. I suspect both your choices will shoot well and give you many years of service if they are cared for.

stcspiderman said:
I am in market for new muzzleloader been doing bunch of research was thinking about going with CVA Accura™ V2 Long Range Combo 
I had cva wolf yrs ago i couldn't hit a paper plate at 50yds no matter what i did, whats the range on these 2 guns with scopes is one better then other or just personal preference

Or Thompson center triumph 

Should you ever mention what you did with at CVA Wolf, we could probably tell you what you did wrong. It's highly unlikely the gun was at fault, shooting at only 50 yards. Sometimes switching either bullets or plastic sabots changes accuracy levels. Sometimes eliminating things like Bore Butter or oil-remnants in the bore solves the problem. Sometimes it's even how how you tighten the stock that throws off accuracy. There's so many reasons why that Wolf didn't work-out for you and it was probably easily fixable, with help here on the message board.

I do not recommend buying combos. You can always add a nicer scope later. Either the Accura or the Triumph should please you at the range, as will a Knight Vision. I am not a fan of bolt-action muzzleloaders either. I am not a fan of buying CVA muzzleloaders having those scope mounts sticking out the top of the barrel either. They should come without them mounted.

I have no knowledge of the TC but the 3 CVA Accuras that we have are all tack drivers and are very accurate. We are using the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets with 2 pellets of T7 in two and 100 gr BH209 in one. I have the Nikon Muzzleloader Inline on my V2 and the boys use the Nikon Buckmaster on theirs. CVA Accuras are easy to maintain and we use the rubber O-Ring to prevent blowback. I highly recommend the CVA BP rifle. I would recommend that you get the nitride treated version if you choose a CVA for your BP rifle.

kygWFcyl.jpg

I have the Accura v2 in stainless and its a very accurate weapon using the 209 powder and 300 grain, .44 cal XTP bullets and Harvester green sabots....crush rib sabots. I had some T/C equivalent rifles in my mitts right along side the Accura and I liked the Accura better. Find a gun dealer where you can handle what you're considering before you buy, sometimes little things can pop up that pictures won't show. CVA....T/C, they're both quality weapons by today's standards without having to spend a thousand bucks.

I have not had a CVA since the company changed hands but the two I bought were very poor quality this was in the early 70's.
Since then I have had about 20 different TC's I have 5 right now all excellent quality. My Triumph will hold a minute of angle with a number of loads and bullets it likes 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 and Harvester short black sabot with a Shockwave 250 grain bullet or a Gold dot or a bloodline, I have come to prefer the 250 grain bloodline for hunting and the 250 grain Bonded Shockwave for long range.

Whats the range on cva what grain bullets you powder you using. How much drop is there at 100 150 175?

I think max shot where i hunt 175yds whats best way sight it in? Be 3in high at 100yds would i be dead on at 175 200 new to muzzleloaders not sure if anything like Cf 3006

I have a CVA Accura V2 with the Nitride finish and thumbhole stock. My neighbor has a T/C Pro Hunter F/X. I bought the CVA after shooting his T/C.

Anyway, I prefer the CVA primarily for the following two reasons:

1) The Breech Plug DESIGN (not the breech plug itself) - The only time I have ever used any tool on the CVA QRBP was the first time I installed the two Western Powders Blackhorn CVA QR Breech Plugs ( https://www.westernpowders.com/breech_plugs?product_id=147 ) . After the initial installation, you only use your fingers to remove/reinsert the plug. Yes, it is BS that you have to buy a plug specifically for 209 with the CVA rifles, but at least it comes with the installation tool and pin vise and drill bit (you will use the pin vise and drill bit to clean the breech plug). CVA sells a BH209 plug that is finished in black, but it does not come with the aforementioned accessories. My neighbor is forever fiddling with his breech plug removal tool on his T/C that is supposed to come out by hand; it might after only one shot, but if you send a few down range without pulling the plug on the T/C, prepare thyself to use a tool to remove the plug.

2) The Trigger - This was the main selling point for me, but I will let the rifle do the talking. Grab a small flat head screw driver and go to your local sporting goods store that carries the T/C of your choice and any CVA Accura. First, grab the T/C, cock the hammer, and dry fire it. Next, grab the CVA, turn the small screw behind the trigger guard counterclockwise until you feel resistance, then stop turning. After you have done this, cock the hammer and dry fire it. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will make the decision for you.

Besides that, I love the Nitride finish, thumbhole stock, and soft touch forearm/stock. IMHO, the only downside to the CVA is the lack of metal sling swivel studs, which have not failed on me, but I hear they have on others.

After you decide on the CVA, forget the O-ring in the primer pocket and just use Winchester 209 primers ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900344145/winchester-primers-209-shotshell). These primers are a bit longer than others and will drastically reduce your blowback to a negligible amount, or they might eliminate it, as they did for me, when used in conjunction with the WP plug.

Also, the Durasight Dead-On mount is good, but the DNZ Game Reaper ( https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-cva/ )is the bees' knees. The Durasight may scratch your scope a bit due to the ridges on the inside (like they did my previous Leupold) but the Game Reaper will not, as the rings are smooth on the inside. In addition, the Game Reaper gives you the option for 1" or 30mm scope tubes, while the Durasight only comes in the 1" variety.

Well, I didn't mean to write so much, but here it is. If you are undecided on bullets/sabots/powder, I would suggest Bloodlines/Barnes in the weight of your choice, MMP HPH-24 sabots (if the bullet does not already come with it - for example Barnes MZ Expanders - they come with the HPH-12, which is too thick for my bore), and Blackhorn 209.

My two cents worth...

Re: RE: Cva or tc

stcspiderman said:
I am in market for new muzzleloader been doing bunch of research was thinking about going with CVA Accura[emoji769] V2 Long Range Combo 
I had cva wolf yrs ago i couldn't hit a paper plate at 50yds no matter what i did, whats the range on these 2 guns with scopes is one better then other or just personal preference

Or Thompson center triumph 

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/rifl ... r-triump...

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/cva- ... -scope-p...
My best friend bought an accura v2 in 2016. Ive been on the range with him shooting many times. He's well pleased with it. His load is 75 gr weighed BH .430 xtp, green crush rib sabot, win 209 blue box primers.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

CVA Accura MR (Mountain Rifle) in Nitride, or if you like the longer long range barrels, the CVA Accura PR (Plains Rifle) in Nitride.

Better finish (nitride treated stainless steel guaranteed not to rust, or standard stainless steel), better trigger (adjustable), better breech plug (actually seals, and is really finger removable), better barrel (accuracy guarantee), better hinge pin (no slop lock-up), better BGM (concentric false muzzle, bore, crown), better scope mount (no lapping required), better ramrod (solid aluminum), better stock (soft touch), better Warranty, than any T/C.

"It's Just A Better Gun!"

This ain't your daddy's CVA anymore!

https://cva.com/product-line/accura/

Try one, you'll see!

I have both the Triumph and the CVA Optima and prefer the Optima. It's not picky with loads. I load up with 300 grn Thor and 100 grns Black Horn and a Federal 209A primer.

range is more dependent on shooter abilities then the gun most modern inlines will shoot better then the average shooter can out to 200 yds..it sounds like you should of kept your Wolf and ask more questions while you had it and tried to figure out a accurate load..very seldom is it the guns fault.

stcspiderman said:
What is the range on cva? What kinda adjustments do need make at 100uds to be accurate at 175yds

For the money I would go with CVA, I have a stainless wolf a couple years old and not bragging here but I took a buck at 187 yards the other day and last year I took one at 162, I would go with an accura though, the barrels are more precise due to additional honing process and the action is not loose when it's open all the way, mine is a little wiggly until it is closed. I will probably have the accura mr or plains rifle next year. the Nikon inline scope is great on these guns too because of the long eye relief.

As far as your old wolf you did the right thing getting rid of it if it was an old one, CVA was terrible back then, it's a totally different company now. I know several people that had older cva guns that just could not get them to be accurate. Bergara makes their barrels now and it's a whole new ballgame. Thompson center is a quality product, but dealing with smith and Wesson now who is their owner is something you don't want to have to do trust me, they are terrible to deal with on customer service.

spiderman. just trying to answer all your questions. My wolf is sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards with a 295 powerbelt hp bullet and 2 t7 pellets for 100 gr, and holding 4 inches over the back of a buck at 187 yds the bullet took him just under the spine. I tried 250 dollars worth of premium bullets and blackhorn powder and never could equal the accuracy of the lowly powerbelt and t7 in my gun.

redear said:
I would go with an accura though, the barrels are more precise due to additional honing process and the action is not loose when it's open all the way, mine is a little wiggly until it is closed.

My son's Accura V2 is 'wiggly' when open, it's just how it works with the way the barrel is hinged to the action. When it's closed, no wiggle.

Latest posts

Back