think i scewed up!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
So I went to the range today taking along .430 240gr xtp with green harvester sabots, 777 pellets, 777 primers because I had last years supply left and wanted rid of it. I fired 4 caps to foul the bore and loaded 2 pellets and the bullet and fired and hit 1 o'clock from the bull about 3'' high so fired again and now its 3-4'' left about 8 o'clock, barrel cooled and fired 3rd shot and hit about 2'' left of bull, fired 4th shot and 12 o'clock, 5th shot was at 7 o'clock. I swabbed the barrel and still got crazy shots so I scrubbed out the crud ring and still shooting crazy.

I found about 5 250gr Shockwaves and fired one from a primer fouled bore and it hit dead center bull. Fired #2 shockwave and it hit 2'' high, #3-4 shot with #2 and gave me about a 2'' group. I'm worried now that I have ordered 300g .452 xtp and crush rib and smooth sabots that ill be wasting money of the 240gr bullets shotgun. I plan on using BH-209 with the 300gr bullets but it still has me worried ill be out $30 in bullets and sabots.

what you guys think?

Another issue i ran into today was the pellet or loose breech plugs wouldnt thread all the way in and seemed to be catching about 1/4 way in. I scrubbed out the threads and noticed a large bur on the threads inside the barrel so i took a small flat hear screw driver and snapped it off and both plugs felt a little tight in and out but have now loosened up. whats the deal with that?

Another thing i noticed today is my cva optima v2 has a lighter trigger then my savage accu trigger. Is it possible someone did a trigger job on this ML?

I never had any luck with the 240gr xtp's. I attributed it to how short they are. I think you will be happy with the 300gr xtp's. The Speer .430 270 gr Gold Dots shoot really well out of my Omega with the green crush rib. It's all part of the game buying and trying different bullet and sabot combinations. Unfortunately, some that don't work out are wasted or used in other guns. I have no idea with the breech plug, was it a thread that broke and hanging down?

Jackalope said:
I never had any luck with the 240gr xtp's. I attributed it to how short they are. I think you will be happy with the 300gr xtp's. It's all part of the game buying and trying different bullet and sabot combinations. Unfortunately, some that don't work out are wasted or used in other guns. I have no idea with the breech plug, was it a thread that broke and hanging down?

I know its a different animal but my old optima from like 2005 likes the 240gr and my buddies new wolf v2 likes them.

It appeared to be part of the thread maybe like the 2nd thread from the breech end when i knocked it off it threaded a little hard but eventually went smoother. Im wondering what could have cause this and if its going to be safe.

Some bullets work, some don't.

Was this a used gun you just purchased? Hopefully there isn't anymore threads missing or cracked.

try shooting a lower powder charge with the 240 gr xtps, they always shot really good for me at 100 gr down to 85 gr of pyrodex rs.. anything above that and groups opened up..
Could also be if your using last years pellets they have went bad and velocity will be very erratic causing the problem your having, they draw moisture badly once they are opened unless kept in a very dry environment.

Last year's pellets are probably the lions share of your accuracy issues. Get some good powder, and thing should tighten up. Unless your scope or mounts

The CVA triggers since 2010, are just that good. Right out of the box! :yeah:

Jackalope said:

Was this a used gun you just purchased? Hopefully there isn't anymore threads missing or cracked.

I purchased it last summer. I went in looking for the nikon inline xr scope but they had the rifle used with the scope for $30 more than the scope. The guy at the shop said he doesnt even think it had been fired because the bore was mint. I took it home and pulled it apart and no signs of firing so i put some rounds through it and only thing i could get to shoot well was the 250gr shockwave. I think ive had it apart 10 times since cleaning and putting clp on it so it doesnt rust and the plug never had an issue. At first i thought it was the plug but when the BH209 plug wouldnt thread i seen the bur.

ohiohunter2017 said:
Jackalope said:

I purchased it last summer. I went in looking for the nikon inline xr scope but they had the rifle used with the scope for $30 more than the scope. The guy at the shop said he doesnt even think it had been fired because the bore was mint. I took it home and pulled it apart and no signs of firing so i put some rounds through it and only thing i could get to shoot well was the 250gr shockwave. I think ive had it apart 10 times since cleaning and putting clp on it so it doesnt rust and the plug never had an issue. At first i thought it was the plug but when the BH209 plug wouldnt thread i seen the bur.

Busta said:
Last year's pellets are probably the lions share of your accuracy issues. Get some good powder, and thing should tighten up. Unless your scope or mounts

Im going today for blackhorn 209. Scope base and rings were blue lock tite last month. I got shockwaves to shoot almost touching but the xtp looked like buckshot. shot the shockwaves after the xtp just incase but that showed me it didnt like the xtp.

ohiohunter2017 said:
Busta said:

Im going today for blackhorn 209. Scope base and rings were blue lock tite last month. I got shockwaves to shoot almost touching but the xtp looked like buckshot. shot the shockwaves after the xtp just incase but that showed me it didnt like the xtp.

It didn't like the xtp -- with that particular load.

WV Hunter said:
ohiohunter2017 said:
Busta said:

Another question...

I am new to all of this so trying to understand. If it doesnt like the 777 and the 240gr bullet and the 300gr being the same bullet just a little heavier and blackhorn at say 100gr wouldnt i have issues with that too or is blackhorn and the 300gr bullet a whole other animal?

ohiohunter2017 said:
WV Hunter said:
ohiohunter2017 said:

Another question...

I am new to all of this so trying to understand. If it doesnt like the 777 and the 240gr bullet and the 300gr being the same bullet just a little heavier and blackhorn at say 100gr wouldnt i have issues with that too or is blackhorn and the 300gr bullet a whole other animal?

The 240 and 300 are not the same bullet. Same name, yes.
Every load is unique. You tried only 1 load (one powder type/ one amount of powder/ one bullet type and size/ one sabot/ one primer). Adjusting any of the parameters could make it better or worse.

Pellets suck, because you can't really tweak easily. For example, that load you shot... if you ran the powder amount up or down by 5 or 10gr, it might dial right in and you'd say it was the perfect load in your rifle. Or maybe the sabot needed changed to make it shoot better, etc... you get the picture.

I have great success with loose powder so if you like 777, I would go get some. Try 100 grains of loose with either the Shockwave 250 grain, or the XTP 250 grain 45 cal bullet, with the short black Harvester Sabot. The XTP bullet/sabot combo produces a big hole for 3 shots at 100 yards when I do my part. If you still notice the groups moving, check your base, scope, and rings to make sure they are tight.

ohiohunter2017 said:
So I went to the range today taking along .430 240gr xtp with green harvester sabots, 777 pellets, 777 primers because I had last years supply left and wanted rid of it. I fired 4 caps to foul the bore and loaded 2 pellets and the bullet and fired and hit 1 o'clock from the bull about 3'' high so fired again and now its 3-4'' left about 8 o'clock, barrel cooled and fired 3rd shot and hit about 2'' left of bull, fired 4th shot and 12 o'clock, 5th shot was at 7 o'clock. I swabbed the barrel and still got crazy shots so I scrubbed out the crud ring and still shooting crazy.

I found about 5 250gr Shockwaves and fired one from a primer fouled bore and it hit dead center bull. Fired #2 shockwave and it hit 2'' high, #3-4 shot with #2 and gave me about a 2'' group. I'm worried now that I have ordered 300g .452 xtp and crush rib and smooth sabots that ill be wasting money of the 240gr bullets shotgun. I plan on using BH-209 with the 300gr bullets but it still has me worried ill be out $30 in bullets and sabots.

what you guys think?

Another issue i ran into today was the pellet or loose breech plugs wouldnt thread all the way in and seemed to be catching about 1/4 way in. I scrubbed out the threads and noticed a large bur on the threads inside the barrel so i took a small flat hear screw driver and snapped it off and both plugs felt a little tight in and out but have now loosened up. whats the deal with that?

Another thing i noticed today is my cva optima v2 has a lighter trigger then my savage accu trigger. Is it possible someone did a trigger job on this ML?

I shoot the Nosler 240 grain with the harvester crush rib green sabot, in my T/C .54 renegade i used 100 gr pyrodex and T/C 3 piece sabot. Got 1" groups all day long.
Recently I tried the Nosler 240 grain JSP with green crush rib in a knight Vision .50 cal. With 100 grains they were doing as you described and going all over. I increased the Powder (BH-209) to 110 grains and got a 1 inch group.
I gave some of the Nosler 204 JSP to a friend and he borowed a T/C Pro Hunter, I told him if he had problems grouping to go to 110 grains (he also shot BH-209) and he had the same results. That afternoon his 10 year old daughter killed her first deer, a 4-point buck.

As far as your Breech threads in the barrel, I have a knight mountaineer that new from the factory had damaged breech plug threads. It was blowing my teflon off the Breech plug. Sent the gun back and thought they would send me a new barrel. They ran a tap down the barrel and called it fixed. The gun shot like a dog with chrono readings all over the place group to group. Even after they FIXED it I could still feel the bad threads as I screwed in the breech plug. Still blows off the teflon on most of the plug. Recently and rather than argue with knight I bought a barrel kit for it and installed it on my mountaineer.
Have not shot it yet, but when spring comes I hope for the best. By the way the Mountaineer is my first Knight and MY LAST.
You might try a tap and some teflon tape I don't know if one burger in the threads will cause problems. I you get the same results with the different sabots and bullets you try, your erratic shooting may be related.

ohiohunter2017 said:
I have seen very few rifles that will not shoot the 300 gn XTP well when matched with the right sabot and powder charge, although some seem to prefer the .44 cal 300 gn XTP over the .45 cal version. Another very similar bullet that has been accurate in just about everything I've tried it in is the Speer 300 gn Deep Curl. I have several CVA rifles and right around 110 gn of BH209 is the sweet spot in all of them for the best balance of accuracy & velocity.

d.winsor said:
ohiohunter2017 said:

what you guys think?

I shoot the Nosler 240 grain with the harvester crush rib green sabot, in my T/C .54 renegade i used 100 gr pyrodex and T/C 3 piece sabot. Got 1" groups all day long.
Recently I tried the Nosler 240 grain JSP with green crush rib in a knight Vision .50 cal. With 100 grains they were doing as you described and going all over. I increased the Powder (BH-209) to 110 grains and got a 1 inch group.
I gave some of the Nosler 204 JSP to a friend and he borowed a T/C Pro Hunter, I told him if he had problems grouping to go to 110 grains (he also shot BH-209) and he had the same results. That afternoon his 10 year old daughter killed her first deer, a 4-point buck.

As far as your Breech threads in the barrel, I have a knight mountaineer that new from the factory had damaged breech plug threads. It was blowing my teflon off the Breech plug. Sent the gun back and thought they would send me a new barrel. They ran a tap down the barrel and called it fixed. The gun shot like a dog with chrono readings all over the place group to group. Even after they FIXED it I could still feel the bad threads as I screwed in the breech plug. Still blows off the teflon on most of the plug. Recently and rather than argue with knight I bought a barrel kit for it and installed it on my mountaineer.
Have not shot it yet, but when spring comes I hope for the best. By the way the Mountaineer is my first Knight and MY LAST.
You might try a tap and some teflon tape I don't know if one burger in the threads will cause problems. I you get the same results with the different sabots and bullets you try, your erratic shooting may be related.

Thanks for the info. I shot 300gr .452 xtp the other night with blackhorn and sent 3 in the same hole at 100yards. I'm happy now. it ws just one loose thread I knocked it off.

Latest posts

Back