Cracked Muzzleloader and deformed BH209 Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodshunter007 said:
phenix78_99 said:
OP, I think I have an extra CVA BH209 breech plug I would be happy to send you on my dime, but I will not be able to mail until Monday, 18 December. I am headed home this weekend and will check to make sure I have one, if you are interested.

Greatly appreciated friend! to add insult to injury I got ahold of muzzle-loaders.com and explained the issue. They sent me out a 2nd breach plug. The second plug came covered in black carbon. The threads were knurled up on the breech plug a bit, it's obvious this was a used breach plug.

The first one he sent was new but deformed, the second is serviceable but obviously used.

...you win some and loose some...but I've really had a stressful go at trying to keep this hunt together!

*Icing on the cake* ready? I was just informed by UPS that my rifle missed the next day air plane and will arrive a day late..which puts me driving a day late and sighting in my muzzleloader the night before the hunt with truck head lights...

When it rains it pours...I must have pissed someone off upstairs...

-Travis

God is good all the time...it's a shame that quality control (regardless of the company/vendor) is not. I can PM you Saturday to confirm I have a plug, and we can take it from there.

By the way, depending on where you are hunting in VA, I MAY be able meet you somewhere. Otherwise, I will have it in the mail on Monday.

wh007:
Too bad about your issues..
Call Knight - pick it up when traveling thru on I-75. If you're lucky, they'll have one ready to go..

To bad about your troubles setting up. Borrow a gun from a buddy if you have to. At least you should be set for next year, no matter the direction you go.

Good luck on the hunt.

woodshunter007 said:
phenix78_99 said:
OP, I think I have an extra CVA BH209 breech plug I would be happy to send you on my dime, but I will not be able to mail until Monday, 18 December. I am headed home this weekend and will check to make sure I have one, if you are interested.

Greatly appreciated friend! to add insult to injury I got ahold of muzzle-loaders.com and explained the issue. They sent me out a 2nd breach plug. The second plug came covered in black carbon. The threads were knurled up on the breech plug a bit, it's obvious this was a used breach plug.

The first one he sent was new but deformed, the second is serviceable but obviously used.

...you win some and loose some...but I've really had a stressful go at trying to keep this hunt together!

*Icing on the cake* ready? I was just informed by UPS that my rifle missed the next day air plane and will arrive a day late..which puts me driving a day late and sighting in my muzzleloader the night before the hunt with truck head lights...

-Travis

if you buy a new breech plug be sure to buy the tool to seat it to your barrel, I don't think CVA includes it with their breech plugs anymore. Like it was said, a used plug will not seat properly in your barrel. I don't know if you are shooting Blackhorn 209, if so be sure to get the plug for it.

If it was me, I'd be borrowing a rifle and bringing it with me. What you are up against it won't take any little thing to go wrong and you ain't got anything to hunt with.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Threads like this remind me of the Truth stated in my signature . Good luck on your hunt and your next muzzleloader.
Well put in elegant terms....

If you really want to be certain its a casting mark, simply sand/file the ridge down and you'll see it disappear and then just paint it to cover it...If it's a crack then of course it won't and you can send it back to CVA again for a return.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it as it does appear to be a casting mark left from the mold..the fact the two halves have different heights is an indicator. Could it be a crack...or halves that are unjoined completely...??? sure..but it doesn't affect anything as the receiver(especially that end) on a MZ bears little to no pressure when firing.
Just sight it in and go hunt.

Just my 2 cents - I am not sure what it is... doesn't look good and should have never come on the market looking like that...

2873_EA6_B-_A29_C-4_B1_C-9_D0_C-0_A8217_C16256.jpg

The 'Quality Control' guy must have been napping

Even the opening that surrounds the barrel looks like a little kid cut it with a hack saw blade. Edges are not nicely rounded or smooth.

Not good workmanship there.

woodshunter007 said:
phenix78_99 said:

-Travis

PM sent.

Latest posts

Back