Cracked Muzzleloader and deformed BH209 Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently posted a forum asking which loads would be best in my new CVA Accura V2 LR rifle (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31093) . I was finally able to get my hands on my rifle..and on the underside of the receiver, near the trigger, there is a good size crack down the metal. Also the receiver internals where the barrel seats/locks into the receiver (same action as a single shot shotgun) is chewed up and in some places looks...deformed?

I ordered the Black Horn 209 breach plug from http://www.muzzle-loaders.com only to see one side of the breach plug is completely flat. I really don't see how this could have happened in transit and am convinced it was like this prior to shipping.

I really would have thought a CVA LR rifle would had undergone more quality control and am pretty bummed about receiving 2 damaged items :? I'm in Florida. I'll be traveling to VA for late muzzleloader season which opens up the 16th of this month. I'm really hoping all of this gets straighten out this week (or very early next week) so I can travel to VA a couple days early if needed and get this thing sighted in and ready to hunt.

*I tried to add pics of my issues, but i keep getting a message, file to large, any ideas?*

-Travis

Sounds like the same kind of problems I had with CVA.

Is this a brand new gun and then plug? If so I wouldn't use either until you can get it straightened out, if you have something else for the hunt.

Contact both & get ready to return them, providing the problems were as described.

woodshunter007 said:
Hello,

I recently posted a forum asking which loads would be best in my new CVA Accura V2 LR rifle (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31093) . I was finally able to get my hands on my rifle..and on the underside of the receiver, near the trigger, there is a good size crack down the metal. Also the receiver internals where the barrel seats/locks into the receiver (same action as a single shot shotgun) is chewed up and in some places looks...deformed?

I ordered the Black Horn 209 breach plug from http://www.muzzle-loaders.com only to see one side of the breach plug is completely flat. I really don't see how this could have happened in transit and am convinced it was like this prior to shipping.

I really would have thought a CVA LR rifle would had undergone more quality control and am pretty bummed about receiving 2 damaged items :? I'm in Florida. I'll be traveling to VA for late muzzleloader season which opens up the 16th of this month. I'm really hoping all of this gets straighten out this week (or very early next week) so I can travel to VA a couple days early if needed and get this thing sighted in and ready to hunt.

*I tried to add pics of my issues, but i keep getting a message, file to large, any ideas?*

-Travis

So just to provide an update:

I received a shipping label on 12/7/2017 to send my rifle back to CVA. I sent the rifle back same day.

I've sent 4-5 emails that have gone unanswered and called over 15 times only to have my call transferred to customer service, then met with a fast busy signal, then disconnected. I'm suppose to leave Thursday for my hunt, i have no idea what to do. I was told by Jeff @ their customer service department getting a fix in place by 12/13 would be no problem and i'd be good for my hunt.

I just sent this to email to [email protected]

------------------

Hello,

I bought a brand new rile that was shipped to me with a cracked receiver. This rifle has never been shot. I spoke to a guy named Jeff there @ your call center. Jeff gave me a shipping label. You received my rifle 12/7. I advised Jeff that i had a week-long hunt planned in VA starting this weekend and that i would need a fix or a new rifle by 12/13. I also followed up with an email about my hunt, and included a letter with my rifle. I was advised by jeff getting a fix by 12/13 would not be an issue.

I have emailed several times and called over 15 times this morning. I am not getting any replies to my emails and all calls have gone to an operator, and then are met with a disconnect and a fast busy signal.

I've taken off for an entire week and am driving from Florida to VA for this hunt. I've paid an outfitter and have non refundable reservations. I DO NOT HAVE A RIFLE, WHERE IS MY RIFLE?

If i do not hear from you or receive a rifle by tomorrow then I will be detouring my trip and making a stop at:

1270 Progress Center Ave. Suite 100 Lawrenceville, GA 30043

to allow you to replace the rifle and explain to me why it was so hard to keep your word and make good on replacing a product that was faulty. This hunt has been in place for well over 6 months, i refuse to allow you to ruin my plans. If you should choose, you can cut me a check for the $500.00 i spent on your rifle, put it in the mail, i'll go buy a Thompson Center today, and we'll call this incident good.

RMA# 0054576
Customer #81-0201407
Package ID# JW571
Delivered 12/7/2017

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also going to go harass them on Facebook..maybe that'll get me a rifle...i have no idea what else to do...I want this hunt bad...:(

-Travis

Let me see if i understand this time line.

You did not get a rifle until after Nov26th
You did not get your "hands on it" until about Dec 4th
CVA received your rifle for RMA on Dec 7th

You were promised it back by Dec 13th and your hunt starts the Dec 16th....That sure does not leave much time to get a new rifle ready.

This leads me to the important question......Wouldn't muzzleloader.com handle this for you instead of CVA? If they shipped a defective and possibly dangerous product wouldn't they want to take care of it?

NEVER get ready for a hunt on such a short notice. My rifles are ready a month in advance and dbl checked a week before a hunt. Your chances of getting a muzzleloader sighted in and ready to go in 3 days is just asking for disappointment.

You sir, are correct on all accounts. Bought the gun from Budsgunshop.com Was this a tight time-line? sure was..

this is the reply i got from customer service:

------

Travis,

I’m a bit confused with you to be honest. Jeff has pushed your rifle to the front of the line, ensured it was delivered safely, and even hand walked it over to our gunsmiths which jumped you ahead of people who have had their guns in here for weeks or longer, and some are evening currently missing their season, trying to help you have the gun finished by 12/13. It is 12/12, one day before we were supposed to try and finish up your rifle ahead of time to help you out, and you email us demanding your rifle or you’re going to stop by to get a refund so you can buy another rifle. I guess I don’t understand what else we could really be doing outside of responding with an RMA, a paid shipping label, jumping you to the front of the line, and ensuring your rifle is the first one to be looked at. We are extremely sorry you were experiencing an issue with your rifle but we would at least like the some time to get you taken care of.

With that being said our gunsmiths have looked at your rifle. They have found that your rifle does not have a crack or split and it is in fact a mold or cast mark from where they were originally produced in Spain. I was even going to replace your frame with a new one and the first three I grabbed from the box all had the same exact marks. We can either send you the rifle back as is since it fits in our production guidelines and specifications, we could try to slightly grind that mark down which may look worse than it does now to be honest, or we could replace it but the replacements all have the same cast marks. What would you prefer us to do?

Thank you,

Joe Young
Customer Service
http://www.bpiguns.com

--------------------

and then I said:

--------------------

Joe,

Shouldn't be any confusion....All I was looking for was an update. I've been left in the dark...no replies to anything, all calls get disconnected, no replies to emails, what was i suppose to think? I didn't want to send an email such as the one you read, but what else what I left to do? Following up and reaching out is the cornerstone of customer service.

That being said, thank you for your help. I appreciate the hard-work from everyone involved in the process. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but also had no idea what else to do.

Go ahead and send me the rifle back if it's ok. If this won't be delivered tomorrow (12/13/2017) to my FL address can you send this to an address in VA so that When i arrive 12/15 it can be there and ready to sight in?. I'm leaving FL on 12/14 early in the morning.

-Travis

--------------------

So all in all I don't feel a bit sorry for what I said, thought he made me out to be the A-hole. I just wanted an update. I've been calling their number for hours..it's a fast busy signal after disconnected.

What really shocks me is that they are ok with the kind of issue my gun has. ...that's a pretty decent crack.....not sure what the fix is going to be for this. This is not a tool mark..it's a crack.. (i tried to post pics but was given an error the images are to large). If this is the kind of quality control in place, i assure you this will be my last rifle from CVA. Onward forth to Thompson Center or Knight.

-Travis

What really shocks me is that they are ok with the kind of issue my gun has. ...that's a pretty decent crack.....not sure what the fix is going to be for this. This is not a tool mark..it's a crack.. (i tried to post pics but was given an error the images are to large). If this is the kind of quality control in place, i assure you this will be my last rifle from CVA. Onward forth to Thompson Center or Knight.

-Travis

I’d love to see the pictures and if you email them to me I can probably post them. He’s saying it’s a seam from the casting rather than a crack. I’ll pm you my email if you’ll send the pictures to me to post. I own rifles from T/C and Traditions but none from CVA.

My mistake, i thought it was from muzzleloader.com. I have never dealt with Buds.

Just a FYI. Eds Gunshop in Vass NC is one of the best and closest to your area. Carlos is very good to deal with and knows CVAs as well as many other MLs inside and out. I would check with him if/when you decide to buy another muzzleloader. His pricing is very competitive.

GM54-120 said:
My mistake, i thought it was from muzzleloader.com. I have never dealt with Buds.

Just a FYI. Eds Gunshop in Vass NC is one of the best and closest to your area. Carlos is very good to deal with and knows CVAs as well as many other MLs inside and out. I would check with him if/when you decide to buy another muzzleloader. His pricing is very competitive.

Then Eds Gunshop it is! After this hunt i'll be selling this rifle and looking to get into a high end Knight or Thompson Center. I've heard great things about Green Mountain Barrels, but need to do more research on them. Thank you for the heads up!

-Travis

QuinnTheEskimo said:

-Travis

I’d love to see the pictures and if you email them to me I can probably post them. He’s saying it’s a seam from the casting rather than a crack. I’ll pm you my email if you’ll send the pictures to me to post. I own rifles from T/C and Traditions but none from CVA.

Got the pics ready to go if you want to PM me your email. I would greatly appreciate it if you could hang them on this post just so others can see what I'm talking about.

-Travis

Here’s some of the pictures.
B5_E35_ED1-7967-4_F64-98_ED-877_C2_DA35955.jpg

D4_FA9_A67-957_E-4_C69-_B2_D3-434_DE1_A6_F4_A9.jpg

A811_D52_B-9516-4_E84-_AA0_E-05_A117569_BA4.jpg

Does anyone else have an Acurra V2 that would check to see if this "mold or cast mark" is or isn't on theirs?

To me, in the second picture it looks like a joint in the mold when they cast it. I’m a little surprised that they wouldn’t grind it away before finishing the receiver.

Mine has a mold line there but its not like that.Straight line not that noticeable and easy to tell its a mold mark

OP, I think I have an extra CVA BH209 breech plug I would be happy to send you on my dime, but I will not be able to mail until Monday, 18 December. I am headed home this weekend and will check to make sure I have one, if you are interested.

phenix78_99 said:
OP, I think I have an extra CVA BH209 breech plug I would be happy to send you on my dime, but I will not be able to mail until Monday, 18 December. I am headed home this weekend and will check to make sure I have one, if you are interested.

Greatly appreciated friend! to add insult to injury I got ahold of muzzle-loaders.com and explained the issue. They sent me out a 2nd breach plug. The second plug came covered in black carbon. The threads were knurled up on the breech plug a bit, it's obvious this was a used breach plug.

The first one he sent was new but deformed, the second is serviceable but obviously used.

...you win some and loose some...but I've really had a stressful go at trying to keep this hunt together!

*Icing on the cake* ready? I was just informed by UPS that my rifle missed the next day air plane and will arrive a day late..which puts me driving a day late and sighting in my muzzleloader the night before the hunt with truck head lights...

When it rains it pours...I must have pissed someone off upstairs...

-Travis

If it’s used, it may not seal right in your rifle. New plugs require a small wrench to tighten the plug in place which makes the snout of the new Breech plug seat in your action, I would personally just buy a new plug on your drive, there has to be a store enroute that stocks them. Maybe bring the used plug along and buy one enroute, then you have two to try.

Latest posts

Back