Cleaning Threads in Chamber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you guys get the threads in the chamber where the breech plug screws into really clean? I use the Long Nylon brush, but I never can get it as clean as I would like. Someone mentioned a steam cleaner that may work but looking for alternative ideas.

well, this is a chance to run my "process" by the fellows that have much more experience than I regarding this aspect of cleaning...
using a .54 cal bronze brush (all my muzzys are .50) I turn the brush clock-wise with the threads about half way through the length of the brush and then spray a blast of brake cleaner onto the brush to break up the grease and turn the brush back-and-forth before pushing the brush through the bore. I take the brush off my range rod once clearing the muzzle and then push a patch or two through the bore to clean up the gunk. I have only used this method a few times as I use teflon tape now and no longer have to use grease simply because cleaning the breech plug threads is such a pain and with tape is unnecessary. Now, am I courting disaster with this technique??

Sometimes tape will build up at end of chamber. Just be cautious of that

Ol' sabotloader gave me a hint..clean it good....I take a nylon 12 gauge brush on a section of cleaning rod in a drill.....run it in there for a bit...clean it out and then I put a little oil on a cleaning clothe and wrap that around the brush and run that in there for a few.....and sometimes I run that brush in where the powder sits just,as an extra cleansing...

Long a go I got some brushes made for the purpose they work just fine I put a 2x2 patch over the first has solvent the second is dry patched I use Hoppes Elite. It was long time back and I do not remember where I got them. The handle is heavy wire and has a ring on the end. The brush is 1 inch in dia. and heavy bristle it is 3 inches long and the handle is 5 inches long. I hope they still make them as some day I will need to replace the two I have been using since inlines were first put on the market.

Mikeul50 said:
Ol' sabotloader gave me a hint..clean it good....I take a nylon 12 gauge brush on a section of cleaning rod in a drill.....run it in there for a bit...clean it out and then I put a little oil on a cleaning clothe and wrap that around the brush and run that in there for a few.....and sometimes I run that brush in where the powder sits just,as an extra cleansing...

I do this as well (brush on drill)...Works great!

If you really want to clean the barrel and breach area, you have to go old school. I remove my scope from my inlines, ( I use quick release mounts, and rings) I now use a bucket of warm water, and a little dish soap. I take a jag with a patch and pump the water through. I also have a breach brush which fits into the breach plug area, and cleans the threads. In order to do a complete cleaning, there is no such thing as "easy cleaning". Also the hammer and firing pin area will need attention, and cleaning.

Mikeul50 said:

I use the drill and brush also it will clean very well then spray some brake cleaner down around the threads and it comes out like new and clean.

This does it for me.. with some Windex or a little bore solvent on occasions...

Bore_Thread_Brush.jpg

20 gauge bore brush

Yep.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Breechplug grease really isn't needed with any powder but 777. But if you use it regularly, it keeps the threads fouling softer and easier to remove.

I use an old, (not needed anymore) 54-cal bore brush without a patch around it, to remove the fouling/Gorilla Grease inside those threads, after a hard-thrust spray of Gun Scrubber by Birchwood Casey.

My threads-area of my barrel come clean pretty easy that way.

Latest posts

Back