Knight .52 sale

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest it has no more appeal to me then any other caliber, had one traded it then wished Id kepted it as I never even got to fire it. So that's the main reason its a muzzleloader and I wanted another one to try and getting 2 for one made it a easy decision.
If it kills critters which it will that's all I care about..

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Please don't think I'm trying to be a wise guy . I really don't know when I ask this question . What is the appeal to a .52 caliber ? What is the twist rate on the .52 cals ?

The 1-26 barrel will handle the heavier .458 and .475 bullets better than a 1-28 twist. I was just curious why they came out with that caliber ? Maybe it's so people can have something different ? Why do I have so many different muzzleloaders ? I guess I just like different things . Maybe that's the appeal ?

Dougs136Schwartz said:
The 1-26 barrel will handle the heavier .458 and .475 bullets better than a 1-28 twist. I was just curious why they came out with that caliber ? Maybe it's so people can have something different ? Why do I have so many different muzzleloaders ? I guess I just like different things . Maybe that's the appeal ?
You got to remember when the Knights came out. The shooters then were using mostly black powder, and big was better same today only people want speed.

When Knight launched the 52cal, the bullet used and load combination was unique. It was a .475-375gr Barnes (1.2" long) with a spitzer shape and upto 150gr of loose Triple7 using a "stemmed" breach plug. This combination was claimed to reach about 1950fps. Thats over 3100fpe which was pretty much unheard of at that time. BH209 was not around back then.

You can get about the same performance from a NFPJ plug and 130gr of BH209. The Power Stem plug does not work with BH209.

TB did one of his better reviews on this topic. I pretty much agree with his opinion on this one and the performance i got pretty much matches his too. The 52 with upto 130gr of BH209 is a killer setup
http://www.namlhunt.com/knight52caliber.html

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I was just curious why they came out with that caliber ?
Discussions with G.Edwards when he was with Knight, it appeared Tony Knight just wanted something different as the 54 & 58's have already been out forever. I got the impression that Tony's actions on the 52 were similar to what George Gibbs did in the 1860's - develop a bore diameter that requires your proprietary ammo. Unfortunately, like many things developed - it just didn't take off.
I think it's the best Knight besides the 45- 1:20/1:18. I shoot a 500gr GG HP (MML post 52/500) over 85gr Swiss Black Powder - have only shot it in 1 match and it held it's own with every ML in the match - the shooter let it down as he blew it at 50- ha.

dbowling - you did well.

Discussions with G.Edwards when he was with Knight, it appeared Tony Knight just wanted something different as the 54 & 58's have already been out forever. I got the impression that Tony's actions on the 52 were similar to what George Gibbs did in the 1860's - develop a bore diameter that requires your proprietary ammo. Unfortunately, like many things developed - it just didn't take off.

This makes sense . I hope I don't talk myself in buying one ! Thanks guys for sharing .

talked to knight today and had one of my guns switched to the RPJ, just barely got to them in time as she said they were either shipping out today or in the morning.

No scopes added? If you add a scope to the original rifle the free one is listed with same scope. Are they way over priced on their leupold scopes?

It was 24 hours, from last Saturday 9am to Sunday 9am.

Dougs136Schwartz said:

This makes sense . I hope I don't talk myself in buying one ! Thanks guys for sharing .[/quote}

I think it was merely a marketing gimmick that never worked out. Knight is trying one way or the other to market the .52s they have on hand. As far as it being Tony's favorite caliber, let's not forget that he was a businessman trying to market this new caliber.

If they really want to come out with something new and exciting, how about a .475 bore with a 1 in 21 inch twist? :D

just got a e-mail from Knight saying my order is complete which I guess is their way of saying it shipped..talked to them yesterday and they said they would send me tracking number but didn't receive it, also said Fed-Ex would send me one, which they may once they get to hub and are processed. Should only take a day to get to Indiana as long as stuff doesn't get messed up.

dbowling said:
......... Should only take a day to get to Indiana as long as stuff doesn't get messed up.

At this time of year? :lol: I'd find something to do for a few days. Don't be pressing your nose up to the window waiting for the truck :wink:

yeah I`m not a patient waiter either, just got the tracking and its scheduled for 12/18/17 delivery.. that's why I hate ordering big ticket stuff this time of year you have to worry and wait on them..
Ive got a custom longbow that's coming from Canada that just cleared customs in San Francisco yesterday and as long as they repackaged it right it should make it here alright, but the wait drives me crazy.
Ordered 200 sabots from Knight today and a couple hundred .458 bullets from a couple other places now have to wait on them to. :lol:

ENCORE50A said:
dbowling said:
......... Should only take a day to get to Indiana as long as stuff doesn't get messed up.

At this time of year? :lol: I'd find something to do for a few days. Don't be pressing your nose up to the window waiting for the truck :wink:

Back