BH209 i am a believer now!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I wanted to try this for awhile but new breechplug, price of the powder, etc I figured stick with pellets until I had to scrub the crud ring out of my 50cal optima v2 TH. I said screw this crap and ordered the BH breech plug and later picked up a jug of BH at Walmart. I picked the jug up twice and put if back because of the price but I figured my sanity was worth it. I tried 777 100gr pellets and 120gr mag pellets with 250gr shockwave and .430 240gr xtp and couldn't get them to group with the 240gr xtp being the worst. I'm talking 12-15'' groups all over the paper.

I purchased a TC u view measure, BH209, cci 209 mag primers, powder spout, .452 300gr xtp, smooth and crush rib sabots. I started with the smooth for a little tighter fit, 70gr weighed/100gr volume. Man that TC measure is a little whacky to deal with comparing weighed vs volume the closest I could get was maybe 1-1.5gr over and under 70 weighed. I just weighed up 5 old pill bottles and took the electronic scale to the range with me tonight and fired 3 primers and poured the charge and marked the ramrod and fired. After the first 3 shots they started getting a little tighter and #5, 6, 7 after a little scope adjustment all went through the same hole! I was ecstatic! My rifle that's best group was 3'' on a good day with shockwaves now put 3 shots in the same hole at 100yards. I was very impressed that after 7 shots I didn't need to swab, brush, water, jackhammer anything. Each bullet seated like the first but my concern was the primers are very dirty and the breech plug was very dirty. I also had a lot of greasy substance on the muzzle/crown of the rifle. Is this normal?

I have to say I am very glad I let you guys talk me into the bullets and powder combo and answering all my questions. I might try 110gr volume here soon to see how it groups but I may just leave well enough alone.

Thank you MML.

BH residue tends to be a bit moist but it doesn't affect the following shots. Sounds like you either need to shim your firing pin bushing, switch to the Winchester W209, or try placing an o-ring under the primer to seal it up.

Hornet22savage said:
BH residue tends to be a bit moist but it doesn't affect the following shots. Sounds like you either need to shim your firing pin bushing, switch to the Winchester W209, or try placing an o-ring under the primer to seal it up.
How large should the O ring be? I have some I use for broadheads but might be a little too large. Should the O ring be flush with the rim of the primer?

I use the Winchester 209M primers (Blue Box) in my Optima and hardly get any blow back. The O ring would probably totally eliminate it. I did get the CVA BH breech plug.

ohiohunter2017 said:
Hornet22savage said:
How large should the O ring be? I have some I use for broadheads but might be a little too large. Should the O ring be flush with the rim of the primer?

Here are the one's ShawnT turned me on to for my Knight KRB7:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k517

halloflin said:
ohiohunter2017 said:
Hornet22savage said:

Here are the one's ShawnT turned me on to for my Knight KRB7:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k517

Actually got them cheaper here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Buna-O- ... 2749.l2649

Personally I like the shim kit for the firing pin bushing much better than the o rings you need to change the o ring in 20 or less shot normally the shimming of the firing pin bushing is a permanent fix and I would also recommend a drill to clean the carbon out from under where the 209 goes.

Lee 9 said:
Personally I like the shim kit for the firing pin bushing much better than the o rings you need to change the o ring in 20 or less shot normally the shimming of the firing pin bushing is a permanent fix and I would also recommend a drill to clean the carbon out from under where the 209 goes.
I agree. I used o-rings in 3 different CVA rifles because it was quick, easy and it worked, although, when you use an o-ring, you usually have to use a quick, sharp snap to close the rifle, especially with a new o-ring. If you don't, the rifle may close and latch shut but the hammer won't catch when you pull it back, a bad situation if it occurs when hunting. Because of this, and the before mentioned need to check and change the o-ring when needed, I finally got the shim kits for all 3 rifles and shimmed the firing pin bushings to give a .002-.003" primer crush using Winchester 209 primers. It's easy to do and only has to be done once and everything stays clean, no blow back at all.

Lee 9 said:

Where can i get this bushing kit and what am i drilling the carbon out of? I used a 1/8 drill bit recommended by blackhorn and gave it about 5 turns before each firing but it bottoms out and doesn't go all the way through the flash hole just a little farther then the primer sits. Is this what your referring too?

ohiohunter2017 said:
Lee 9 said:

Where can i get this bushing kit and what am i drilling the carbon out of? I used a 1/8 drill bit recommended by blackhorn and gave it about 5 turns before each firing but it bottoms out and doesn't go all the way through the flash hole just a little farther then the primer sits. Is this what your referring too?
You can order the shim kit from CVA, it is on their web site. The drill is for the Flash Channel (not the Flash hole) and is where you are using that 1/8" bit now.

https://cva.com/product/firing-pin-shim-kit/

Lee 9 said:
where do the O rings go? slip them over the primer and seat the primer?

ohiohunter2017 said:
Lee 9 said:

In the primer pocket. The primer then sits on top of the ring.

halloflin said:
ohiohunter2017 said:
Lee 9 said:

In the primer pocket. The primer then sits on top of the ring.

Not being argumentative but wont the primer sitting on the O ring burn the O ring or make it sit too high and not a good ignition.

It actually works but to me its a bandaid solution. Shimming the firing pin bushing OUT in a CVA is the best option. The reason is simple....

1) Shims are a permanent solution as long as you stick with the same primer.
2) More of the primer stays IN the primer pocket. The primer is better supported when more of it is IN the pocket.

Shim the bushing out to get a .003 crush on the primer. If you do this using a Win209 there is more or less no chance you will get it too tight with any other brand of primer. Shim a Fed209A to crush to .003 and a Win209 will crush about .006 which is really pushing it in a break action.

CVA says that the shim kit should be used only to level the bushing with the breach face. Messing with it to create a crush fit is unnecessary. The o-ring fix is simple and works. If too much crush fit is an issue simply choose the shortest primer you can find. You have to change the o-ring every twenty-thirty shots? So what. You can buy a whole pack of 100 for a few bucks.

And what do you think CVA would say about putting a o-ring in the primer pocket? It can easily cause the hammer not to function. It does not matter how you go about it.....If the headspace is too tight...you got a problem. CVA also says you can not use 100gr of 3FG but 3 pellets is fine.

Its pretty simple to get a mic and measure some primers.

GM54-120 said:
And what do you think CVA would say about putting a o-ring in the primer pocket? It can easily cause the hammer not to function. It does not matter how you go about it.....If the headspace is too tight...you got a problem. CVA also says you can not use 100gr of 3FG but 3 pellets is fine.

Its pretty simple to get a mic and measure some primers.
Yes you are correct about the hammer. This is where the mic comes in. If hammer cock is an issue choose the shortest. What would CVA say about the o-ring? Maybe nothing since they wouldn't have liability. They make (?) and sell the shim kit that goes in their guns. If the o-ring wouldn't work a person could then try the shim kit. Jmo but I wouldn't go that route unless I had too. I would in fact like to know what CVA would say about the o-ring.

Latest posts

Back