Questions about shooting an inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbrewer

Reaction score
I'm not new to muzzleloading but I am new to the in-lines muzzle loaders and to this site. I just purchased a new 50 Cal TC Strike inline muzzle loader from Field and Stream. They had the gun marked down $100 off list and then I got an additional $90 off for getting their credit card taking a survey. Then n top of all that there was a $50 rebate from TC! I had been looking at the gun for some time and when I saw the price I bought it. I'm not sure what type of powder or sabots/bullets to use in the gun. I've been hunting with my 54 Cal (Patch Round Ball) Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle for years, but I finally got tired of the misfires. This past hunting season I had a big Doe in my sights and I pulled the trigger only to hear "click". The gun misfired, I re-cocked it but it was too late. Otherwise the gun is very accurate, but it misfires just too much (1 out of 10 shots). I've been having this issue for on and off for years. The issue was not with the powder, it was that the caps didn't go off and it had nothing to do with the weather. I changed brands of caps and tried different nipples and nothing helped, so I decided to buy an inline Muzzleloader that I could put a scope on.

Now for my inline questions.
1. It seems that most people are using Pyrodex or triple seven or buckhorn power. Does anyone still us real Black Powder? I found that worked best in my Lyman and I was planning to use it in the Strike because I have a ton. Is that an issue?

2. There are so many different sabots and bullets out there that I'm totally confused. What grain bullet is best for White Tail Deer? I had a lot of load choices for my Lyman so long as it was a 235 Grain round lead balls! That was my only load choice but I could play around with the patches I used. The gun has a 1-60" twist which is best for round balls.

3. I'd like to buy a scope as well but that is equally confusing. I'd like to keep the cost under $200 if possible. I've read about the many different scopes on line, but I have not seen any in person. The Nikon Inline 3-9 x 40mm looks nice but I don't know if I'd use a the reticles since I typically can't further that 100 yards where I hunt. I just really want a scope that can take the pounding from the recoil.

Your help is appreciated!

Bob

Blackhorn 209 powder
Full power 209 primers, I use Winchester
Try some TC packs of bullet/sabots, I'd suggest 300 grain bullets 1st and 240 grain 2nd
I prefer Weaver scopes
Start with 70 grains, weighed, of the blackhorn and go up to 100 grains, weighed.

After some experience you can get sabots, bullets and primers in larger quantities.

I prefer XTP bullets in my smokers unless I'm using PRB.

You may find that TC "Cheap Shots" work just fine, and they perform great for me too. And they are cheaper to purchase.

Let us know how you like the Stryker and how it shoots.

Come back if you have problems or questions.

AND a big welcome. W

You probably need a long eye relief scope with that rifle due to how they mount. Check out the nikon inline xr, has 5". I don't think too many folks on here have that rifle, but someone will probably chime in and give you some pointers for that particular rifle.

You can use real black powder, sure. Most folks use subs in the modern inlines, but its certainly not necessary. Probably a bullet in the 250gr range is a good start. (XTP is a good choice) Welcome to the board :yeah:

wolfer said:
Blackhorn 209 powder
Full power 209 primers, I use Winchester
Try some TC packs of bullet/sabots, I'd suggest 300 grain bullets 1st and 240 grain 2nd
I prefer Weaver scopes
Start with 70 grains, weighed, of the blackhorn and go up to 100 grains, weighed.

After some experience you can get sabots, bullets and primers in larger quantities.

I prefer XTP bullets in my smokers unless I'm using PRB.

You may find that TC "Cheap Shots" work just fine, and they perform great for me too. And they are cheaper to purchase.

Let us know how you like the Stryker and how it shoots.

Come back if you have problems or questions.

AND a big welcome. W

100gr weighed of blackhorn exceeds the max rating of 84gr weighed!

I have that scope and if it didn't have the stupid circles I would love it 100% but IMO they aren't necessary and too close to the x hair and kind of clutter it up. Its a decent scope but I would find a leupold for the same price and go that route if possible. clearer, more field of view and glass IMO. the Nikon is a nice stock and ive used a prostaff on a 45-70 with no issues so I'm sure a run of the mill prostaff without the bdc would be fine.

I like blackhorn 209 and 45cal xtp with cci mag primer. Also 84gr weighed is a max charge of blackhorn and not 100gr like posted above. 777 is decent but ive never had luck with the pellets so went blackhorn cause its cleaner.

beerbrewer said:
I'm not new to muzzleloading but I am new to the in-lines muzzle loaders and to this site. I just purchased a new 50 Cal TC Strike inline muzzle loader from Field and Stream.
Now for my inline questions.
1. It seems that most people are using Pyrodex or triple seven or buckhorn power. Does anyone still us real Black Powder? I found that worked best in my Lyman and I was planning to use it in the Strike because I have a ton. Is that an issue?

Bob: Yes, Black Powder in your inline will work just fine, it will certainly hold it's own. You seem to be quite familiar with BP, so its nothing new. Clean up in an in-line is easier than your percussion arms.
What distances are you planning on shooting/hunting?

Let me begin by stating that I really appreciate everyone's posts, they are very helpful!....thanks!!

Right now I typically hunt in the North East, Maine (Mid and Northern) and New York, I typically can't see further than 100 - 150 yards, but it would be nice to know that I could shoot my muzzleloader out further. I've wanted to try hunting out west or down south someday.

As for a scope I think I've settled on the Nikon Inline XR 3-9x40 because of the 5" eye relief. I have a similar scope on my Remington 870 slug gun and the reticle circles don't bother me. Funny I did a lot a research on inline muzzle loaders and I missed the "scope mounting issue". I'm not saying that it would have deterred me, but I'm annoyed with myself for missing that. I had narrowed my selection down to the TC Triumph and the TC Strike. I choose the Strike because I liked the unique breech design, the way it opened like a shotgun, the nitrite barrel finish and the cocking mechanism (meaning no hammer to cock back). I hope I can comfortably mount the scope.

How does Blackhorn209 compare with real Black Powder? When I first started in muzzleloading I used Pyrodex. Then someone suggested that I give the real stuff a try, so I did. My Lyman Great Plains Rifle was sighted in a 50 yds and when I switched to the real powder, my shots (using the same 80 grain load) went clear over the target! I found it much more powerful, I got more shots off between having to run patches down the barrel and it was easier to clean. My only issue with real black powder was getting it.

I've never shot real black powder but have always shot black horn in all my inlines and have always been very happy with its advantages. I do shoot 777 in my percussion guns.

Latest posts

Back