Frosted chamber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeul50

Reaction score
I went out looking for elk the other day(and coyote with the son)...
Only saw two elk, both bulls..both six points...normally that would get me heading into the brush...but my tag is for an antlerless only.......and no antlerless around....
While out and about we talked with another guy that was out searching...he had just purchased a Remington ultimate mzldr in .54 caliber....and he had shot a half dozen times and was pleased with his results..so he was out hunting.....I imagine this happens a lot....
So he asked me if he should be worried about something....he pulled the rifle from his truck in a soft sided gun case and asked if the frost on the portion to the outside of the loaded powder should be a worry...
He said he was using Pyrodex RS(150 gr), and he had a Powerbelt loaded on top...
Although I guided fishing trips on the coast and dealt with frozen line guides(and clients occasionally) I hadn't a clue as to what to tell him about that ice on the outside of his chamber...did ice outside mean that moisture had made its way into the powder....he said he had been keeping the rifle in the gun case in the backseat area of his truck.......
So I am submitting this to you boys of unbelievable, immense knowledge....
Was the powder dry or wet...
There's your clues....what are the answers....
And I doubt I will run into this guy again..so I won't have the answer....

When you say "Chamber" are you talking about inside the action where you put the primer, or the muzzle? Sounds like either the soft case was damp or he put a wet rifle in the case and left it in the truck and it was very cold out. Doubt that the powder was wet. The rifle is also most likely and older Remington Muzzle loader since it is a .54. The new Ultimate is only in .50cal as far as I have heard.

The frost on the gun was located NOT on the section outside the primer...it WAS on the section outside the powder chamber....just want to clarify...
And if that was not a brand new ultimate mzldr it had been hidden in a dark place til just the other day...
The stock wasn't scraped or dirty..nor was the stainless barrel.....it was pretty...
Almost made him an offer to trade for my green stocked knight ul........almost...

Oh so it was just on the outside of the barrel where the powder would be. In that case I would just wipe that off. Doubt very seriously that the powder was affected. I have hunted in some heavy snows with my MK-95 and it still went bang with snow stuck to it. The older rifles are still out there. Plenty in good shape and pop up now and then NIB if you look hard enough.

The Ultimate.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/muzzle ... zzleloader

Original style.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725524448

Interesting...I've never seen it. I wonder if he loaded a house warm rifle with frozen powder and bullet causing frost to form from warmer moist air contacting a surface with a temperature below the dew point of the surrounding air. :huh?:

If this gun was "hidden" away for a long time I'd be more concerned about having a load in it from before.....sure hope the findee cleaned it.

My reference of "hidden away" was because the mzldr looked pristine....he had said he jus purchased the
the mzldr......
If there is frost ONLY on the exterior of the barrel where the powder is located...I would always think negatively until proven wrong...and in this case it would be non-ignition....he was also using musket caps on the gun....this is setup as idaho legal....and it was/has been in single digits in the mornings for about a week...

Mikeul50 said:
I went out looking for elk the other day(and coyote with the son)...
Only saw two elk, both bulls..both six points...normally that would get me heading into the brush...but my tag is for an antlerless only.......and no antlerless around....
While out and about we talked with another guy that was out searching...he had just purchased a Remington ultimate mzldr in .54 caliber....and he had shot a half dozen times and was pleased with his results..so he was out hunting.....I imagine this happens a lot....
So he asked me if he should be worried about something....he pulled the rifle from his truck in a soft sided gun case and asked if the frost on the portion to the outside of the loaded powder should be a worry...
He said he was using Pyrodex RS(150 gr), and he had a Powerbelt loaded on top...
Although I guided fishing trips on the coast and dealt with frozen line guides(and clients occasionally) I hadn't a clue as to what to tell him about that ice on the outside of his chamber...did ice outside mean that moisture had made its way into the powder....he said he had been keeping the rifle in the gun case in the backseat area of his truck.......
So I am submitting this to you boys of unbelievable, immense knowledge....
Was the powder dry or wet...
There's your clues....what are the answers....
And I doubt I will run into this guy again..so I won't have the answer....

put suran plastic wrap over the barrel with a rubber band, then put a layer or two of suran wrap under a spent primer in the primer pocket. The frost is appearing because of the temperatures and high humidity I would think. This will keep the humidity in the barrel constant as when the barrel was sealed, the gun and breech will get cold but no frost should occur.

When bringing a gun in a house from the cold outside Put suran wrap on it and that will keep condensation from forming on the inside of your barrel. The next day or whenever you hunt, take the suran wrap off after you reach your hunting spot. I have heard you can shoot thru the suran wrap and it will not effect your accuracy. Myself I don't know that, I have always been leery of things over my barrel bore and shooting.

In the case of the guy with frost on his gun from sitting in his truck I would leave the suran wrap on the bore and under the primer all the time except when reaching his hunting spot.

My trade was Heating & Air conditioning, I dealt with humidity a lot.

I agree there are things you can do to help prevent situations like this...
I myself put a rubber glove finger over the muzzle..and a piece of sticky Suran wrap over the nipple before placing the #11 cap on it....sealed...and when I decided to shoot there wasn't any difference...
I did try a small piece of duct tape over the muzzle...I don't advise that...the tape stuck really well..bullet made a nice hole thru it..and the recoil was much higher than normal.....

Back