Knight disc elite and blackhorn powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I skunked you

Reaction score
I got a knight disc rifle that uses red plastic jackets and was wondering if this is alright to use. Been using 777 and works great but leaves crud ring after each shot.
Is blackhorn clean burning and leave little residue after shooting. Thanks

I have the same question as I have one of the old BK85's that has the conversion kit to 209 primer. It takes the red plastic caps that holds the 209 primers. I had deep sixed two of these rifles in a corner when I started shooting my encore years ago and more recently my T/C strike.

The Elite can shoot blackhorn fine with either the red fpj primers or bare primer setup.

The MK/LK/BK (plunger type) guns are not recommended to use BH209 in them.

If you want less crud in either of those guns you could use Pyrodex or Real Black also.

BH209 will work in the Elite and FPJs but you need to be very diligent about keeping the flash channel clean of carbon with a drill bit. Swap to the bare 209 primer conversion and its far more forgiving. The bare primer flash channel is 5/32" and seals better. Setup correctly a bare primer conversion is nearly blowback free and the flash channel will stay even cleaner.

Blackhorn209 leaves absolutely no crud ring. You can load many shots without swabbing. Many find that you still get excellent accuracy without swabbing at all. BH209 fouling is almost slick to me. Seems like the follow up loaded easier than it did on a squeaky clean barrel.

I tried BH209 with the red FPJ, I hated them, blow back that I could feel on my face. I replaced that system with the bare primer plug, not the current Knight version, zero blow back.

Well tried the bh209. Shot about 6 shots with it and all were within 1in at 75 yards. Observation were extremely filthy around Breech plug area and bolt assembly, couple of the primers looked like they were push out instead of dented in where the firing pin struck them. Although I didn’t have to clean between shots the barrel was absolutely filthy when cleaning. Was shooting 90 gr volume and Barnes t-ez 250
Gr. And cci magnum primers.
I think I’m getting blow back because of how dirty Breech plug area and some of the deformed primers. Also the barrel was extremely filthy.

Would going to bare primer plug and bolt fix these problems? Read people have shot great in warm weather conditions but when hunting in cold 15-20 degree weather didn’t work and had hangfires or simply wouldn’t ignite.

Lehigh bare 209 primer plug with NFPJ adapter for the bolt. A few of these are still around for about $40 but you will also need to buy some vent liners. A 4 pack of vents is about $25 for Lehigh made vent liners. About $20/4 regular Savage vent liners.

The other option is the bare primer bolt BODY from Knight and a Bestill bushing plug. His plug also works with the Lehigh NFPJ bolt adapter. The bushing plug is custom fit to your rifle with the primer of your choice.

Knight sells a bare primer kit with the bolt body and plug. Their plug though is not as good in the long run as the other options.

Lehigh no longer makes the Plug Kit due to a contract with Knight, but they are available from a guy that bought out the remaining stock.

His name is Buddy Truckley. Email him at the following address.

[email protected]

The kits are 1 for $45 or 2 for $80 delivered.

As Gm stated you then just need a ventliner.

After that it "May" be possible you will need a shim or 2 to head space the plug for your rifle so that the primer center don't back out of the cup from the back pressure. This is not a big deal to do, and may not need to be done, just depends on your rifle.

Chances are if you use a Win209 with the Lehigh plug, blowby will either be light or virtually none at all. If primers are sticky coming out just recock the rifle and fire without a load in it. The firing pin will push the primer anvil back into the cup. Its a bandaid but works fine with the NFPJ bolt adapter.

Lehigh Bullet and Badger Ridge Industries both sell Lehigh vents but i think Badger might be out of them atm.
https://www.lehighbullets.com/product/v ... ech-plugs/
https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p1 ... hVentLiner

Lehigh Bullet and Badger Ridge Industries both sell Lehigh vents but i think Badger might be out of them atm.

Arrowhead just discontinued the Lehigh Ventliner due to "inconsistent availability" they said. They now just carry the Flathead.

ShawnT said:
Lehigh no longer makes the Plug Kit due to a contract with Knight, but they are available from a guy that bought out the remaining stock.

His name is Buddy Truckley. Email him at the following address.

[email protected]

The kits are 1 for $45 or 2 for $80 delivered.

As Gm stated you then just need a ventliner.

After that it "May" be possible you will need a shim or 2 to head space the plug for your rifle so that the primer center don't back out of the cup from the back pressure. This is not a big deal to do, and may not need to be done, just depends on your rifle.
anyone else have these plugs. I emailed him twice got no response.

Not that I am aware of. Buddy is usually very quick (within a day) to respond. Maybe he is out of town or something. Another member recently emailed him and Buddy told him he still had them.

I have had at least 5 of them. All originals from Lehigh before the Knight contract started. Very very well made plug from 17-4 stainless. IMO thats a better steel for a plug than 416SS. Machine work is beautiful too.

GM54-120 said:
I have had at least 5 of them. All originals from Lehigh before the Knight contract started. Very very well made plug from 17-4 stainless. IMO thats a better steel for a plug than 416SS. Machine work is beautiful too.
how do you load primer with the conversion adapter. Is this something that you can easily drop or lose in the woods. Not exactly sure how it works.

Yes, you drop a bare primer into the holder. It tales a bit more dexterity when cold but no real biggie.

I did a comparison this Fall, sparks & blast from a regular red jacketed primer system, compared to the Lehigh type. The amount of flash, a few sparks, and blast from the Lehigh plug was VERY noticeably better(shot primers only, dark background).

My buddy had a few ignition issues over the years. I ended up giving him one of my few remaining Lehigh plugs. He bagged 3 deer this Fall with superb ignition.

King pin said:
GM54-120 said:
how do you load primer with the conversion adapter. Is this something that you can easily drop or lose in the woods. Not exactly sure how it works.
You Pull the bolt out of your rifle and place the adapter into the face of the bolt then put the assembly back into the rifle. It will not fall out of the rfle unless you remove the bolt from the rifle. The Bare Primer will slide into a slot in the back of the adapter. I don't have a pic of the adapter installed in a bolt, but this is a picture of 2 Kits from Buddy.

5mvVpye.jpg

In this picture you can see the slot in the back of the adapter that goes toward the face of the bolt and the place in the breech plug for the ventliner.

k0BCjel.jpg

Thanks for the information and pictures. I did get an email back and I’m going to purchase one. He has a price of 45 for one 80 for two. Do these plugs wear out fast? I guess it would be nice to have a backup. I probably shoot about 100 rounds a year.

King pin said:
Thanks for the information and pictures. I did get an email back and I’m going to purchase one. He has a price of 45 for one 80 for two. Do these plugs wear out fast? I guess it would be nice to have a backup. I probably shoot about 100 rounds a year.
The only part of the Plug that wears out is the Vent liner. The vent liner has the flash hole in it. When it wears out you just replace the vent liner. That is the primary reason to have the Vent liner. Just be sure to order one or 2 before you try shooting it. put some Grease, Anti-Seize on the vent liner threads.

Latest posts

Back