cva question....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I found a cva .45 caliber rifle in a used rack this morning that looks pretty clean. Its an inline, break action. Be darned though if I could read the stamping on the barrel without my glasses though. It looks to have a 25-26 inch barrel and the plug requires a wrench, which according to the tag comes with the rifle. Definitely not either the Accura or Optima.....any suggestions as to what it may be? Got a price of $150.00 and I am sort of in the market for a .45.

In a break action im only aware of the Optima, Accura and Apex in 45cal. They did not make the Apex with a NON QRBP...i think. They made several sub types of Optima like Pro and Elite. Ive never seen a CVA Wolf in 45 but tis possible they made some in 45 very early on.

What you might be calling a break action might be the Kodiak or Kodiak Pro. It is a falling block action like the T/C Omega.
136414i_ts.jpg

158298i_ts.jpg

4897740_01_cva_kodiak_pro_magnum_muzzlelo_640.jpg

Its the Kodiak, thank you. Black/blued. If this gun is clean, is it worth 150? I want to see down the bore before I make any decisions. Definitely a 45 cal. How accessible are breech plugs....anyone know?

GM54-120 said:
......They did not make the Apex with a NON QRBP...i think. ........

FYI, They made the Apex Bergara Barrels with the Non-QRBP in 2009 for sure. I have a brand new one here in a bubble pack that I purchased at a real good price for a project, that hasn't happened yet. The serial number ends with -09. They changed to the QRBP in 2010.

Any ideas on the rate of twist in the rifling? 1/28?

Thanks for the help guys. I went back to the shop where this gun is at and we pulled the plug for a better look at things. The gun appeared to be very well kept except for a tiny bit of rust at the muzzle on the outside, not in the barrel. We ran a bore camera down the pipe and everything looks wonderful. The action was clean and the breech plug didn't have any issues. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Then to decide what to do for optics.

It comes with a pile of stuff. There are at least two packages of spitfire bullets with sabots. There are 4 packages of powerbelts in assorted sizes. There are two partial boxes of the T-7 pellets. Ya'll know where the pellets are headed. The powerbelts? Who knows but I won't be shooting them. I'll likely be picking up some harvester sabots for it along with some other bullets.

I don't need this critter but I have wanted a .45 cal ever since I got rid of the Winchester bolt rifle I had in .45, so..... In the back of my mind I am thinking I'll keep this as a T-7 granular gun. Maybe even black. The two Idaho boys have me interested in maybe doing lead conical bullets if there are any that will fly from a 1-28 barrel. I'll get it home then have the winter to ponder all of these things. lol

Winchester offered a slightly better version of the Kodiak. It was still made by BPI. It was called a Winchester Apex. The composite stock was nicer and the barrels were slightly different too iirc.

I now have another smoke pole in the closet....and the .45 I've been wanting to add. Really a clean gun. Looks like a fun one.

Sounds like a fun project. Some of the other fellows know which conicals will shoot well out of the 1-28 twist.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

ronlaughlin said:
It uses this breech plug. To reliably ignite Blackhorn it can use the same modification as the standard QRBP.

I just ordered a couple of the plugs so I can start out with a new one when I have this scoped and have time for the range. I may make the conversion to the old plug instead of tossing it. I'll likely start out the shooting with some T7 granulated but won't rule out the 209 as I really like the way it shoots.

Back