Success in Kansas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBehindTheDeuce

Reaction score
I had my Cooper pillar bedded and trigger adjusted after some early frustrations but it came into its own after that. Target below is three shot group, then up 3/4 and a confirmation shot.

I saw this guy last Tuesday and couldn’t get a shot...hunted him straight through til Saturday evening. He showed himself at 500 yards and was walking my way, then he worked in exactly as he was supposed to. I almost took a shot at 190 but he seemed to be interested in coming to where the other deer were so I held off to see where he would go next. He slowly made his way to the feeder with the others.

I had him broadside at 100 and went for high shoulder...I put it maybe an inch and a half low but was still fine. He ran 75 yds and laid down. I thought he would roll on his side at any second. He was still that way at dark (first shot was 10 mins before legal light ended) and I couldn’t see if he was moving at all or dead. Outfitter came up after an hour and he was still just sitting there...the deer tried to get up, went about 10 yards and went right back down. He called the warden to get permission to finish him, so I put one in him from 25 yds. He still stood up and the outfitter hit him with a 223. Still made it another 5 minutes.

I used a Nosler 300 gr which had fragmented and sent pieces everywhere. His lungs were in bad shape from the first shot and would have killed him, just would have taken some time...this we know from his first blood trail with lung pieces in it. With multiple shots in him it was impossible to tell what internal damage was from each shot, so I am not sure whether to chalk it up to terminal performance of the bullet or just a tough SOB. He was definitely tough but curious to see what other people think of the Noslers.

Happy to get this guy but wish it had been quicker...I don’t like them to suffer any more than necessary.

E85_E1_C70-_B370-4021-_AB56-_E8_FEA3313_FC8.jpg

Trail cam shot

AA356_D85-0492-4_E7_F-_BF56-8_F93_A11519_A2.jpg

In the field

5575A183-18DB-4A88-A22F-9A709B452170.jpg

That is a heck of a nice buck! Congrats!

Them not dieing as quick as we would like is just something that happens to all hunters at some point. I hate to see it also but it happens, just a fact of hunting. Don't be to hard on yourself over it.

First, awesome buck. I'm glad you had success in my home state.

I've lost one deer out of many whilst mz hunting. It was a 300 grain Nosler Partition.

LarryBud said:

I've lost one deer out of many whilst mz hunting. It was a 300 grain Nosler Partition.

Thanks. Shot him not too far from Larned.

Curious if you felt like the unrecovered deer was due to bullet issues or something else. Definitely will make me think about changing bullets for next year now that my last ML hunt is done for this year. Gonna start reading reviews on them with a keen eye.

Congrads on great Buck!

Which Nosler 300gn are you shooting?

TommyBehindTheDeuce said:
ShawnT said:
Congrads on great Buck!

Which Nosler 300gn are you shooting?

I believe they only make one now, the Ballistic tip. No more Partition.
There are 44cal 300gn handgun bullets too. Was just curious if you were using that one.
The old Partition was also a Handgun bullet just repackaged with sabot for ML.

First off great buck congratulations.

I was looking at those Nosler bullets on Midway USA’s website a week or so ago and reading the reviews. There was 2 or 3 people on there that said the bullet fragmented into 3 little pieces and didn’t do what it was supposed to do. But them again a couple people said they shot straight thru and they didn’t get any exspansion. So it may have something to do with the velocity they are going.

LarryBud said:

Curious if you felt like the unrecovered deer was due to bullet issues or something else. Definitely will make me think about changing bullets for next year now that my last ML hunt is done for this year. Gonna start reading reviews on them with a keen eye.

I've replayed that day over and over in my head. Cross hairs were on target( you know when it's a good shot ) deer staggered and then bolted into the woods. I saw one small blood spot and nothing else.

I can't say it was the bullet. It could have been a first shot flyer which I've since resolved. I now use the Lehigh / Bloodlines. They are wicked and allow for a slight Miss with no penalties.

If I'm going on a guided hunt to KS or anywhere else. Bloodlines for sure.

LarryBud said:
LarryBud said:

I've replayed that day over and over in my head. Cross hairs were on target( you know when it's a good shot ) deer staggered and then bolted into the woods. I saw one small blood spot and nothing else.

I can't say it was the bullet. It could have been a first shot flyer which I've since resolved. I now use the Lehigh / Bloodlines. They are wicked and allow for a slight Miss with no penalties.

If I'm going on a guided hunt to KS or anywhere else. Bloodlines for sure.

Will have to give them a look....

Back