MK 85 .54 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was me. It would be wasteful for me to get that one as I plan on dipping the stock. I'd feel bad doing that to that nice wood stock. Good find tho.

03mossy said:
It was me. It would be wasteful for me to get that one as I plan on dipping the stock. I'd feel bad doing that to that nice wood stock. Good find tho.

That is a composite Stock.

Ive only seen 2 of the faux wood TH stock go up for sale. I think B&C made those for Knight but im not sure.

I almost bought one a while back with that faux stock, but the barrel wasn't good enough and I couldn't get it cheap enough. You don't see them very often. My .54 has the black composite :yeah:

Another member tried buying this one but the seller refuses to ship the rifle.

flounder said:

That was me, I tried and tried to get him to ship it, but he wouldn’t. He also had it for 170 bucks then, i tried to give him 250 to ship it, I finally gave up. He also lived in Orem Utah then which is very close to West Jordan. Unless this is a different guy/Gun? I didn’t save his phone number, he went by Bill

Idaholewis said:
flounder said:

That was me, I tried and tried to get him to ship it, but he wouldn’t. He also had it for 170 bucks then, i tried to give him 250 to ship it, I finally gave up. He also lived in Orem Utah then which is very close to Heber City. Unless this is a different guy/Gun? I didn’t save his phone number, he went by Bill

Crazy he wouldn’t ship it. Wonder why the price jump unless some one picked it up and is flipping it.

Jackalope said:
Wonder why the price jump unless some one picked it up and is flipping it.

This was precisely my thought! It is possible that it’s a different gun? But I’d bet it’s the same rifle, West Jordan and Orem are Really close together, What is the chances of 2 Old Wood stock MK-85s turning up that close together Geographically, And posted for sale within a month a part. The guy i spoke with seemed like a shady character, he even mentioned finding a good woman to take care of him, Where did that come from?? I didn’t bother asking

I tried to work a deal for this rifle as well. The man I was trading texts with was willing to ship it but the deal fell apart when we couldn't agree on payment. He wanted me to send payment through "Venmo", which has absolutely no buyer protection. (It is primarily for face-to-face purchases and friends and family.) I wanted to use Paypal and he refused. 76 texts traded before the situation fizzled.

nocomike said:
I tried to work a deal for this rifle as well. The man I was trading texts with was willing to ship it but the deal fell apart when we couldn't agree on payment. He wanted me to send payment through "Venmo", which has absolutely no buyer protection. (It is primarily for face-to-face purchases and friends and family.) I wanted to use Paypal and he refused. 76 texts traded before the situation fizzled.

Dang, 76 texts. Venmo is used a lot here in Utah. I don’t use it myself, but have a lot of family that does.

I’d love to pick up a MK85 sometime in the future. I had one for $75 about a 3 hr drive from here. Wish I would have jumped on it now.

nocomike said:

I don’t see the rifle listed on Utah Gun Exchange anymore, must have sold it? Did the guy go by Bill? The guy i spoke with had the name Bill in the Ad, another thing i found odd was when he answered the phone, his HELLO voice was VERY different than after i told him i was calling about the rifle, like avoiding someone? A person has to be on their toes when dealing online through these Craigslist type outfits etc.

Idaholewis said:
nocomike said:

I don’t see the rifle listed on Utah Gun Exchange anymore, must have sold it? Did the guy go by Bill? The guy i spoke with had the name Bill in the Ad, another thing i found odd was when he answered the phone, his HELLO voice was VERY different than after i told him i was calling about the rifle, like avoiding someone? A person has to be on their toes when dealing online through these Craigslist type outfits etc.
Never got a name. He was very willing to send pics of every aspect of the rifle to me, after I explained to him that he could pull the breech plug with a socket and extension. Though representing himself as the original owner he didn't seem to know much about muzzleloaders or the concerns a buyer would have with determining any signs of neglect, such as pitting in the bore. I agree that caution must be used when dealing with a person when you are not "face-to-face". I insist upon a purchase agreement in email form listing terms of sale including refund conditions in case there is pitting in the bore, specifically. And Paypal purchase is the only form of payment I know of that provides any purchase/buyer protection.

I was told by a pay-pal person that they offer no protection for any type of firearm, including muzzleloaders and air rifles..so you may want to look into that before thinking your protected..
I still use Pay pal for such transaction because there really isn't anything I know of that does protect you. Even USPS m.o. don't always work depends on how cooperative your post office is in dealing with it..

nocomike said:
Idaholewis said:
nocomike said:

Never got a name. He was very willing to send pics of every aspect of the rifle to me, after I explained to him that he could pull the breech plug with a socket and extension. Though representing himself as the original owner he didn't seem to know much about muzzleloaders or the concerns a buyer would have with determining any signs of neglect, such as pitting in the bore. I agree that caution must be used when dealing with a person when you are not "face-to-face". I insist upon a purchase agreement in email form listing terms of sale including refund conditions in case there is pitting in the bore, specifically. And Paypal purchase is the only form of payment I know of that provides any purchase/buyer protection.

dbowling said:
I was told by a pay-pal person that they offer no protection for any type of firearm, including muzzleloaders and air rifles..so you may want to look into that before thinking your protected..
I still use Pay pal for such transaction because there really isn't anything I know of that does protect you. Even USPS m.o. don't always work depends on how cooperative your post office is in dealing with it..

nocomike said:
Idaholewis said:

That may well be Paypal's stance but I only make payments through Paypal with my credit card and I can assure you that my bank does offer buyer protection. So if Paypal refused to assist me in the event of a "bad deal" my next phone call would be to my bank and then Paypal would be forced to deal with my bank after the charge was reversed.

true if using credit card..

nocomike said:
dbowling said:

nocomike said:

That may well be Paypal's stance but I only make payments through Paypal with my credit card and I can assure you that my bank does offer buyer protection. So if Paypal refused to assist me in the event of a "bad deal" my next phone call would be to my bank and then Paypal would be forced to deal with my bank after the charge was reversed.

Squeeze said:

Thats a older one with the set screw in the rear. Looks like somebody took a pair of channel locks to it to remove the plunger. They might not have known about the set screw holding it in.

The rifle i regret selling the most was a NIB MK85 SS Predator in 54cal. It felt as good or better than any ML ive ever held. Balance was superb and the trigger was wonderful right out if the box.

Johnson’s Guns in Adrain Mi has one listed w/ Leupold scope , kinda pricy . Have not seen it in person.

Back