Trajectory Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am shooting a .490 PRB out of an InvestArms Hawken with 50 grains of Triple Seven for general fun, targets, and plinking. It hits right around the bullseye at 50 yards. If I increase the powder to 70 grains, what effect will that have on the trajectory of the round ball? I will go out to the range and pattern it when I can, and I realize that different rifles react differently to different powder charges, but if everything else was equal, would it still be mostly on target and just print higher? Maybe lower if it's still rising at that point?
This is just a question to help me understand what different dynamics might be affected when the powder charge increases.
Thanks.

roundballs don't really follow the usual formulas. I have seen the BC of a pure lead .490 ball as 0.069. There is a roundball ballistics calculator http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/rbballistics/rbballistics.html
70 grn should be about 1600 fps
but you typically need more information the the charge volume. speed and weight are the formulas. Overall, theres nothing better than actual field experience. try it and see how your gun does.

Latest posts

Back