Knight UL - Octagon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always thought the Austin & Halleck muzzleloaders looked sharp with the round to octagon barrels and these examples you are turning out are very eye-appealing as well. I wonder how many requests you are going to find in your inbox to do this for others in the near future?? :D

I wish more barrels like that were available. Enjoyable reading

3Na5e18.jpg

Im an absolute sucker for round to tapered octagon barrels. They just look classy without being gaudy.

When it warms up, we'll have to see how it does..

Attachments

• Oct E oct full.jpg
    Oct E oct full.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 282
Drop-sexy muzzleloader. Words I didn't think would ever go together. :shock:

I do believe I would pay extra money to have a barrel like that. Very nice.

Looks great. Harmonics change ? Maybe better or not, or no change. Keep us posted. Thankyou.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Looks very nice Rick . Excellent work !

I've been told that max pressure for a standard Knight barrel is 60,000 psi . Will taking material off the barrel make the max pressure lower ? Or does making the barrel octagon make it stronger ?I wonder if that actually strengthens the barrel as far as barrel whip ? Very very cool workmanship . Mixing old with the new .

I don't think he was worried about that, because he shoots black powder only. Valid point but don't think that much was removed. besides muzzle loading barrels come in all diameters . so does that mean a 13/16 is worse than 2 inch?

I had some concerns about pressure until I realized that he was not reducing the barrel thickness where the ignition and most pressure would be so I suspect he is in good shape.

herschel conyers said:
Looks great. Harmonics change ? Maybe better or not, or no change. Keep us posted. Thankyou.
It will, just as any machining or shortening. They all have harmonics located at each octave...

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I've been told that max pressure for a standard Knight barrel is 60,000 psi . Will taking material off the barrel make the max pressure lower ? Or does making the barrel octagon make it stronger ?I wonder if that actually strengthens the barrel as far as barrel whip ? Very very cool workmanship . Mixing old with the new .
Don't know about Max pressure - doubt I'll ever be close. Check the first few post as they might answer some of your questions.
Octagon-stronger; If one thinks about round tubing vs rectangular tuning of the same wall thickness, diameter and length and which one would flex more in the center under a given load - I would think an rectangular/Octagon would be a bit stronger/rigid - but then again, how to prove/measure on a barrel? I imagine it being insignificant.

jims said:
I had some concerns about pressure until I realized that he was not reducing the barrel thickness where the ignition and most pressure would be so I suspect he is in good shape.
Pressure graphs are around for different powder/loads, but has anyone ever determined the length from the Breech within the barrel that the max pressure last/occurs? The graphs I recall seeing - the pressure curve itself and peak all seem to be similar in duration (not peak pressure).

Let me preface this by saying there’s a lot of people here that know a lot more than I do.

Since he started with a good quality barrel I can’t see pressure being an issue. The only place I could see potentially being a problem is that a double load could maybe be more catastrophic. Regardless of black powder or BH209 I think the flats start long past anywhere that could be concerning. Personally I don’t see this as an issue.

As for harmonics, I am interested in this part. Not because I think you’ve ruined a barrel or something, but if anything it may change your most accurate load. I can see a slight adjustment in powder charge being necessary but I don’t believe that it will be anything major. There’s enough accurate old guns with octagon barrels floating around out there to convince me that the outside shape of the barrel isn’t near as important as the inside of a barrel.

Latest posts

Back