Ramrods/ jags

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV Hunter said:
ShawnT said:
IAMBEAGLER,

Just curious, but do you use a short starter to get the bullet/sabot past the muzzle crown, or just use the ramrod?

Shawn, fwiw...I almost always use my short starter. Some of mine I could just use the rod, but its just habit.
But I could see if someone had a hard loader and was only using the rod it could be tough.
Same here. I use a t-Handle short starter myself. Then it just takes one hand on the rod to load. I like them tight enough to need the short starter but then its easy enough to load with a good firm push on the rod all the way down with one hand. I have not had but one or 2 sabot loads that loaded by thumb that shot very good. I have never shot a conical though. I hate a load that is so hard you have to beat them down. I was just wondering if he was just using the rod and maybe putting too much side pressure when trying to get them past the crown.

ShawnT said:
Oh yea. I remember my cousin had a TC sidelock 32cal many years ago. He stuck a patch/jag down that bore and between the 2 of us we could not pull it out and even dribbled some water down from the bore. In the end we removed the nipple and dribbled a little 3F in there and shot it out. No damage to the rod or jag but he never run a dry patch down it first again. Don't think he kept it very long after that either. :lol:

LOL! Your last sentence made me laugh!! I’ve heard the little .32s can be a bit on the UH OH fouling side LOL! Only makes sense tho with that tiny bore, Blackpowder is fun stuff, but O’ Lordy is it nasty stuff! :lol:

The first few times i came in the house with all of my gear after a shooting session and getting ready to start cleaning, the look on my wifes face was PRICELESS! I pulled the dirty nipple and the ‘Aroma’ filled our little house, she looked at me and said ‘ARE YOU JOKING ME???’ I smiled and said ‘Nope’ :lol:

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:
Oh yea. I remember my cousin had a TC sidelock 32cal many years ago. He stuck a patch/jag down that bore and between the 2 of us we could not pull it out and even dribbled some water down from the bore. In the end we removed the nipple and dribbled a little 3F in there and shot it out. No damage to the rod or jag but he never run a dry patch down it first again. Don't think he kept it very long after that either. :lol:

LOL! Your last sentence made me laugh!! I’ve heard the little .32s can be a bit on the UH OH fouling side LOL! Only makes sense tho with that tiny bore, Blackpowder is fun stuff, but O’ Lordy is it nasty stuff! :lol:

The first few times i came in the house with all of my gear after a shooting session and getting ready to start cleaning, the look on my wifes face was PRICELESS! I pulled the dirty nipple and the ‘Aroma’ filled our little house, she looked at me and said ‘ARE YOU JOKING ME???’ I smiled and said ‘Nope’ :lol:
I don't recall ever seeing that rifle after that day and as far as I remember his last .32. Smallest I remember him messing with after that was a .40 he built from scratch. It was amazing how far that rod shot out with just a tiny bit of powder to. :shock: I don't recall the model of that rifle but it was a real nice looking rifle, and a great shooter. I wish I had it now, especially if it had been a Cherokee. After that little incident he hated the little calibers, Me I love them.

I do use use a short starter but I have used just the rod and that may have been the problem. I really didn't break the rod but the jag broke off and can't get the threads out. Haven't messed with that. I will buy some different bullets and some different Sabots and see if i can get any accuracy from them. I don't have a big selection of muzzleloader supplies here locally and never really been an online shopper so gonna have to look into that to find some different equipment. Like I said b4 I appreciate all the help! Thanks again ! I have a couple other issues I'm trying to resolve with this gun b4 I mess with this problem.

#1. The (lug) that holds the forend screw and the forend itself has a tiny screw that holds the lug to barrel broke off in barrel. Have no idea how to get that out. #2. The firing pin bushing --- won't come out, haven't had any problems firing but can't get it apart to clean and I know eventually needs to come out or will give me trouble. When I first got the gun I had a hard time getting it out because the screwdriver slot was so faint that u couldn't hardly get any pressure on it. I know there is a special tool. The big problem was there was almost no slot cut in bushing. I've been told that the newer ones have a nice deep slot . Just been told that. I will replace the bushing kit if and when I get it out! I know when I bought this gun it was a cheaper gun but didn't want to spend a bunch of money at that point. Would like to get it fixed. Have time to fool with it in near future since all our gun seasons are over now! Hard to believe it's that time already! Man, time flies!

I do use use a short starter but I have used just the rod and that may have been the problem.

That was what i was going to ask. Some of my loads require a short starter or its a bear to load them with just the rod/jag. Get a ball type short starter with a hole in it for the rod. The hole slips over the rod and acts like a "palm saver".

Back