Ramrods/ jags

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I have shot several times from summer till now. Shot one shot today just to make sure I was on. It was. Went to reload for first day of muzzleloader tomorrow and broke another jag in the rod. No way to get it out. This was a brand new spin jag from precision muzzleloader. Because the jag broke off the gun slammed down on concrete garage floor. Over the years I have broke many many rods. Range rods and the ones that came with the couple guns I've had. So tired of this. Now I don't know if gun is still on and have no rod for gun. What kind of rods and jags do u guys use. I have bought good range rods. Cabelas and knight. Not sure what else I could Do? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Is your barrel dirty or are your sabots just that hard to push down the barrel?

What powder/propellant are you using? Sounds like a Triple 7 pellets or powder issue. If the powder isn't an issue you seriously need to slow down and think about things before you shoot again and make certain the bullets/sabots are sized for each or maybe try a crush rib sabot with whatever bullet you have. If you're shooting a .50 cal maybe try green sabots and .44 cal bullets in lieu of the black ones and .45 cal bullets if that what you're using/attempting to load. If many jags and rods have been broken on the same gun over time I have to go with operator error for repeating the problem without finding out what it is.

IAMBEAGLER said:
Because the jag broke off the gun slammed down on concrete garage floor.

This statement sounds like you have both hands on the ramrod. You really should not need two hands to load or clean a muzzleloader. One hand should be holding the barrel, with the other one on the ramrod/range rod. I have a Cabela's range rod and several Knight ramrods and have never broken one of these rods. Jag tips could be broken off if they have backed out a turn or two or putting too much pressure on the rod at an angle or both. I don't think changing to a different type/brand of ramrod or jag will resolve your problem. I think the root of the problem lies in whatever is causing you to apply so much pressure to the rod.

To help your more I think we need some more info on the rifle and load (Powder, Sabot, and bullet) you are using. Do you swab the bore between shots?

When are they breaking?when first starting to load?Maybe you should be using short starter.But something is still not right with your setup.

No way to get it out sounds like a sidelock you're using. ML hunting this weekend sounds like you are in Pennsylvania.
You have several prior posts here, all indicative of you wanting a White Muzzleloader.

We need more info from you..... powder / bullets / sabots / cleaners and oils for swabbing and storing. Need to know things like swabbing habits / swabbing agents / are there oil remnants still in the bore when shooting / what sabots you're using / bullets names / gun make and model......etc....etc...

Sounds like you need to swab between shots. The Knight Range Rod should be able to handle it. Good luck!!

Need more info. Broken jags and over the years broken "many many" rods?
Something isn't right...no way you should ever need to put so much pressure on a rod/jag so that it would break.

:huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:

WV Hunter said:
Need more info. Broken jags and over the years broken "many many" rods?
Something isn't right...no way you should ever need to put so much pressure on a rod/jag so that it would break.

:huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:

I agree here, something is most definitely wrong in your technique. Do you Swab the bore after each shot? How do you clean your rifle after you are done shooting, or do you wait for a few days to clean?

Delrin Rods are considered unbreakable, i have them in all of my rifles, they are EXTREMELY flexible and would not be that great of choice for hard pushing due to the ease of Flexing, you learn to hold down low on the rod, moving your hands up as you seat the bullet, once you learn a method they work fine (i mostly use slip fit Paper Patched bullets that load with my thumb and index finger on the Rod) if you were to grab the top end of a Delrin and try pushing you would likely bend it around in a circle. Treso makes a VERY good sold stiff Coated fiberglass Rod, i use as a range rod, and for Cleaning. A solid brass Rod is another good option (i have 1 and really like it) They are obviously HEAVY (like 3 pounds!) which helps in pushing a tighter bullet down. And Personally i would avoid ANY jag that is Solid Brass Get the ones like Treso that have a Steel threaded insert inside the Brass, the solid Brass ones Can break easily. I have never broke a Ramrod, or a Jag, Something you are doing is BADLY Wrong!

I appreciate the replys. I've hunted all day in very cold temps and just wore out. When I have more time I will answer all the questions and figure out why I'm having issues. I did get to shoot at and kill a coyote with the gun in question today. If I knew how to do pictures I think u guys would like. Thanks very much and I really enjoy this forum.

IAMBEAGLER said:
I appreciate the replys. I've hunted all day in very cold temps and just wore out. When I have more time I will answer all the questions and figure out why I'm having issues. I did get to shoot at and kill a coyote with the gun in question today. If I knew how to do pictures I think u guys would like. Thanks very much and I really enjoy this forum.

Save the pics to your computer and then when you create a post there is an ATTACHMENT button at the bottom left. Click on it and you can add pics from your computer. Pretty easy.

No I haven't messed with it much yet. I got an old ramrod rigged up to get me through muzzleload season. From all the responses seems that I'm doing something wrong. I've shot a muzzleloader for years and thought my bullet/sabot combo went down a little tight but thought that's how they were supposed to be. So maybe try different bullet/Sabot. When I got this gun years ago couldn't find anything accurate enough and stumbled on the precision bullet and they were pretty accurate so have stayed with them. Maybe try different. I have an older cva optima pro .50 thumbhole stock. Just seems to me that when they make those long jags several inches and those short threads that it can be too much pressure on the threads. Jmo kinda wondered of anyone felt same way. So gonna look at doing different things to alleviate the issue. I love the forum and read it everyday. Thanks. I'm sure I will have other questions!

IAMBEAGLER said:
No I haven't messed with it much yet. I got an old ramrod rigged up to get me through muzzleload season. From all the responses seems that I'm doing something wrong. I've shot a muzzleloader for years and thought my bullet/sabot combo went down a little tight but thought that's how they were supposed to be. So maybe try different bullet/Sabot. When I got this gun years ago couldn't find anything accurate enough and stumbled on the precision bullet and they were pretty accurate so have stayed with them. Maybe try different. I have an older cva optima pro .50 thumbhole stock. Just seems to me that when they make those long jags several inches and those short threads that it can be too much pressure on the threads. Jmo kinda wondered of anyone felt same way. So gonna look at doing different things to alleviate the issue. I love the forum and read it everyday. Thanks. I'm sure I will have other questions!

Its probably the sabot is too thick. Maybe try a crush rib and see how that goes. It definitely shouldn't be "hard" to push down. Most of my rifles for the best accuracy it takes a little force to get it down, but its not anything I would consider hard. Also, depending on what powder you are shooting, and if/how you are swabbing between shots can make a difference. In my BH209 rifles, no swabbing. In non BH rifles I always swab between shots with at least a spit patch... and it will be a smidge harder when dirty, but shouldn't be difficult. I watched a buddy shoot T7 3 times and and he got his ramrod stuck trying to clean it due to the crud ring.

I cant swab a .32 with a dry patch first at all. It has to be a wet one first or its almost sure to stick. Another lesson learned the hard way. :D

Squeeze said:
I cant swab a .32 with a dry patch first at all. It has to be a wet one first or its almost sure to stick. Another lesson learned the hard way. :D
Oh yea. I remember my cousin had a TC sidelock 32cal many years ago. He stuck a patch/jag down that bore and between the 2 of us we could not pull it out and even dribbled some water down from the bore. In the end we removed the nipple and dribbled a little 3F in there and shot it out. No damage to the rod or jag but he never run a dry patch down it first again. Don't think he kept it very long after that either. :lol:

IAMBEAGLER,

Just curious, but do you use a short starter to get the bullet/sabot past the muzzle crown, or just use the ramrod?

Unless you’re breaking the ramrod/jag at the very beginning of loading I don’t know what you’re doing.The further down the barrel it is the harder to break.

ShawnT said:
IAMBEAGLER,

Just curious, but do you use a short starter to get the bullet/sabot past the muzzle crown, or just use the ramrod?

Shawn, fwiw...I almost always use my short starter. Some of mine I could just use the rod, but its just habit.
But I could see if someone had a hard loader and was only using the rod it could be tough.

Latest posts

Back