New crown recommendations?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
So, I'm planning to take my TC Northwest Explorer in to have the QLA removed. It occurs to me that I can have the new crown cut a number of different ways. Any strong opinions on what makes the best crown? The purpose of the rifle is to hunt with lead conicals.

Back when I was building PRB rifles I used a ball cutter by hand [it is self centering that way] and wrapped the cutter in a piece of leather and used polishing compound to finish it.

for a muzzleloader, given free range. I think I like a recess, with a target crown taper. Most forgiveness for powder pouring, and the recess lip for greatest bore protection. Really, anything works, as long as its square and properly machined.

Squeeze said:
for a muzzleloader, given free range. I think I like a recess, with a target crown taper. Most forgiveness for powder pouring, and the recess lip for greatest bore protection. Really, anything works, as long as its square and properly machined.
Including the QLA?

LOL well...yeah, it works fine for what it was intended. An aid in sabot loading, as an excuse for easy camouflage for imprecise machining.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Squeeze said:
Including the QLA?

:lol:

There have been folks claiming their QLA works fine with conicals (ie: its properly done) but it seems more folks have claimed to have issues. My guess is alot more are wrong than right, simply because most folks that use QLA rifles shoot sabots and don't even know there is an issue.
I personally like the QLA idea from a functionality standpoint... and since in my QLA rifles I shoot sabots it works for me :yeah:

I would do a recess also like Squeeze mentioned if I was doing it.

Okay, so I finally got my ml back from R&S Gun Service, (4 months waiting) sans QLA, and the crown is not quite as we talked about. The gunsmith thought to do a what I would call a target crown. I thought, okay, well I'll try it. Now it is very difficult to load. It seems, with no tapper or bevel, just a sharp 90 degree angle from muzzle to the inside of the barrel, it is difficult to start a lead conical and get it perfectly centered to push it down the barrel. I looked at my old MK85, and there is a definite bevel, maybe 30 degrees, and at least 1/16 inch, before the lands and grooves. I've been to the range and shot groups with 370 grain TC Maxi-balls, 80, 90, 95 and 100 grains RS, some with and without wads. Accuracy is better than with the QLA, but still far from where I want it to be. (Wads do help.) I realize there are a lot more variables I could try, but I'm wondering, should just get it re-crowned again, with a bit of a bevel, before going back to the range? (Next time, I'm sending it to bestill.)

Attachments

• NW Explorer target crown gif.gif
    NW Explorer target crown gif.gif
    241.9 KB · Views: 254
FredB said:
So, I'm planning to take my TC Northwest Explorer in to have the QLA removed. It occurs to me that I can have the new crown cut a number of different ways. Any strong opinions on what makes the best crown? The purpose of the rifle is to hunt with lead conicals.

I like recessed target crown with relieved rifling tips

bestill said:

So, pretty much like it is, only the ends of the rifling lands would be beveled?

FredB said:
bestill said:

So, pretty much like it is, only the ends of the rifling lands would be beveled?

Yes definitely help bullet start and no damage to bullet

bestill said:
FredB said:
bestill said:

Yes definitely help bullet start and no damage to bullet
I had a barrel on my CVA Wolf cut down for the smaller kids at Hunters Ed and the Gun Smith must have cut the rifling square because it catches the sabot every time.

Back