.40 cal 200 gr. xtp in 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr16

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience shooting the .40 cal xtp in .50 cal omega or triumph as far as accuracy and performance on deer?

I shoot them for fun and when I wanted a reduced recoil load for my Daughter.

The shoot just fine out of an Omega. I believe I used the dark blue 40/50 Crushed Rib sabot from Harvester.

I have no doubt that a well placed shot would do the job on a deer. However, unless reduced recoil is the goal, I don't see a good reason not to shoot a larger projectile. Lehighs / Bloodlines are my favorite.

LarryBud said:
I shoot them for fun and when I wanted a reduced recoil load for my Daughter.

The shoot just fine out of an Omega. I believe I used the dark blue 40/50 Crushed Rib sabot from Harvester.

I have no doubt that a well placed shot would do the job on a deer. However, unless reduced recoil is the goal, I don't see a good reason not to shoot a larger projectile. Lehighs / Bloodlines are my favorite.

For hunting....if I was using a 200gr .50/.40 setup, it would be with a Lehigh/Bloodline bullet also.
For target shooting, the XTP would probably be a great choice as they are quite inexpensive.
If shots are under 150, I'd probably jump to the .250gr Lehigh/Bloodline. They shoot excellent out of my Omega :yeah:

I have used the. 40 200 grain SST. Very similar to the 200 grain xtp. They worked well on deer out of my omega. I stopped using them because of jacket/core separation. They are not a bonded bullet. I switched to Barnes 250 grain tmz.

I use the 180 & 200gr. xtp in our Hunters Ed program and they shoot great. I have taken a few deer with the 200gr. xtp out of the .45 and they will KILL. The 200 gr. Bloodline is better and the 200 gr. SST is also a great choice.

I have shot them in my Triumph and my Endeavor they work well with light loads [70-80 grains BH] but lost accuracy and came apart in the gell with heavy loads I ended up using 200gr. 50/40 Bloodline for hunting and SST or Shock Wave 200 gr. for long range target.

thanks guys for the replies this is the info I was looking for.

A friend shoots a 200 grain .40 xtp in his Knight .54. I don't know what model or the load but he says they shoot well.

I just went thru trying to find the xtp 200 grain .40 bullets and finally found a box or two to use in a .45 I've been working with. In this search I found some Gold Dots in 189 grain and also found the 200 grain brother on line but after seeing the actual bullet up close those won't be used. The all copper and all brass bullets at Barnes and Lehigh are interesting but I'll likely stay with the xtps or the speer sporting bullets or noslers for this gun. There are options for the 200 grain .40 out there but they can be hard to find in boxes of 100.

I have no idea where he gets his but that's what he shoots. I wish I'd have seen one of his sabots just for color alone. He went right to his black powder stuff and picked out a bullet and handed it to me. Its an xtp 200 grain .40 cal. He gave me a 180 grain as well and said they didn't shoot as well. He has one muzzleloader, the Knight. Black/ silver. Plunger gun. I had it in my hands and the barrel was stamped .54. His bottle of Pyrodex sat right there with the Hornady bullet boxes. No idea where he has gotten his sabots. I had no idea that there was a sabot available for a bullet that small for a .54.

All right. My bad ears got me into this. My bad. Sorry. I just called him to see what sabot he used with a .40 bullet in a .54 gun and here's what he said he said while I was at his home showing me the bullets....

"When I started loading the Gold Dots in the .40, I put the .40 XTPs in the blackpowder closet thinking they might shoot ok in the muzzleloader if I could find a sabot. And if they don't work there I'll use them for practice in the pistol" I didn't hear all of that with my bad hearing and his back to me while he was grubbing out the bullets. Apparently he hasn't found a source for the sabots and I told him he probably wasn't going to.

There is a White 44x54 sabot for 44cal bullets in the 54. Could it have been 180 and 200gn 44cal bullets? If he is using 40cal I myself would like to know how he is doing it too just out of curiosity. :huh?:

Guess i clicked the submit button a couple seconds after you posted. Now it makes since. :)

For light reduced recoil loads the XTP is great out to 125 yds with great terminal performance. I shoot the dark blue sabot with a sub base out of my 50 Savage SML and Omega smoker. For better performance just move up to the SST 40X200. It gives superb performance even at 22C to 24C speeds. I light knurl to make sure the bullet picks up the spin and that has eliminated the flyers. For woods hunting and the shorter shots the XTP is great and I've never had it fail, as a pistol bullet it can be kind fragile at close, under 60 feet range, if pushed at 2000 MV but the low BC makes it slow down quite fast. Have had a front on shot on 100 lb plus doe and with chest shot the XTP stopped at the back of a ham just under the skin, 36 to 40 inches of penetration and a perfect mushroom, chest and guts like stew. SSTs not recovered but I mostly rib or neck shoot and they all have been pass through. JMHO, W

I shoot both 180 and 200 40 cal XTP'S in my Super 45 XR. Wonderful bullets, both of them. Got a button doe ( yes, you read that right) with the 200 grain driven by 70 grains of 3f Swiss black. 1800 fps, chrono'd not guessed. BANGflop at 25 yards. Absolute havoc in the chest.
Shot a doe with a 180 driven by 50 grains, same powder, 1550 fps. BANGflop. Shot a nice 8 pointer with the 180 and 60 grains of powder. 1750 fps. 50 yard shot, rather marginal hit. He went 50 yards and tipped over. He was turning away and the 180 hit the left lung, got the tip of the right, went through the abdomen ( sucked the jacket somewhere along the way) and wound up under the skin of the right ham. Still weighed 122 grains. Not to shabby...
A properly placed XTP will not disappoint.

Back