ULA Model 20 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I picked up this ULA model 20 45cal at a gun show last weekend. I don't know much about it. Can anyone give me some info? Thanks

Attachments

• 20180112_174836-1.jpg
    20180112_174836-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 406
It says ultralight arms on the recoil pad and has a timney trigger in it also. I've done some research but could only find info on 50cal. Is it rated smokeless? Anyone know what the twist is? Thanks.

Wow! I've only heard that Melvin made some 45's never heard of anyone actually having one. Those are Smokeless rated. I think I heard they were 1 in 32 twist but not real sure. I would bet GM54-120 will chime in. He will know for sure. What condition was it in? Great Find those are rare.

It looks unfired. Thanks for info on twist and smokeless. I've never really messed with smokeless. Ill have to figure out a load for it. I don't think the guy knew what he had, I paid very little for it.

iablackpowder said:
It looks unfired. Thanks for info on twist and smokeless. I've never really messed with smokeless. Ill have to figure out a load for it. I don't think the guy knew what he had, I paid very little for it.
Good for you then! :yeah: Again not totally sure, I just seem to recall hearing thats what they were. GM54-120 will know for sure. Bet he sees this by tomorrow. I also forget why Melvin quit building .45cals. I'm sure GM54-120 will know that too.
I've wanted an NULA for a Long time but never lucky enough to land one. Maybe I need to get back into going to gun shows. :think:

Those are SUPER rare. Melvin only made a handful before he stopped making the 45s. It should be a Douglas Prem XX 1-32 twist barrel. Mine is a 50cal with a custom slightly heavier contour 26" barrel. 24" is standard. If you paid under a grand you stole it.

I cant give you smokeless load data in this section but yes it is rated for smokeless (sabot loads only). Ask again in the smokeless section of the forum. I know Del's load for his 45cal. Yours and his are the only 2 remaining ULA 45s i know of other than one in poor shape.

Here is mine. Its one of the first 50 made.
xve0Pbv.jpg

Rpke0vS.jpg

Gm,

Do you know why he stopped making those .45s?

because he figured the pressures of shooting them sabotless was too much for the gun. Now the trend is that most use the .45 for sabotless full bore

Thanks for all the info. I will go to the smokeless section and ask more questions. I figured it was a low production gun but didn't realize how rare it really was. When I first started to research it I was afraid it was a knock off when I saw some prices compared to what i paid but when I took it apart and saw the quality of the gun I felt better that it wasn't. Well I'm off to another gun show today doubt I find anything this good again. :D

Attachments

• 20180112_174528-1.jpg
    20180112_174528-1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 310
iablackpowder said:
Thanks for all the info. I will go to the smokeless section and ask more questions. I figured it was a low production gun but didn't realize how rare it really was. When I first started to research it I was afraid it was a knock off when I saw some prices compared to what i paid but when I took it apart and saw the quality of the gun I felt better that it wasn't. Well I'm off to another gun show today doubt I find anything this good again. :D 20180112_174528-1.jpg
With your luck, Take Me with You! :lol:

Squeeze said:
because he figured the pressures of shooting them sabotless was too much for the gun. Now the trend is that most use the .45 for sabotless full bore
Ah Yes!I now remember someone saying that. thanks Squeeze.

BTW something you need to verify.

My NULA will only accept a CCI primer. Either the CCI209 or CCI209M. Win209s wont allow the bolt to close. Im not 100% sure but if IIRC Fed209A wont work in mine either. Some owners have said the Fed209A is what works in theirs and its what Melvin told them to use.

You need to verify if yours takes a Fed209A or the CCIs. Tolerances on the ULA are VERY precise. The breach plug is SUPER efficient at igniting powder and lasts a very very long time. Thousands of shots on a plug is not uncommon.

GM54-120 said:
BTW something you need to verify.

My NULA will only accept a CCI primer. Either the CCI209 or CCI209M. Win209s wont allow the bolt to close. Im not 100% sure but if IIRC Fed209A wont work in mine either. Some owners have said the Fed209A is what works in theirs and its what Melvin told them to use.

You need to verify if yours takes a Fed209A or the CCIs. Tolerances on the ULA are VERY precise. The breach plug is SUPER efficient at igniting powder and lasts a very very long time. Thousands of shots on a plug is not uncommon.

Ok. That is good I do to have. I will vet some federal and cci primers to try.

Back