Is there such a bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so for all those words we are back at same question, Is there such a Bullet. I think very hard to answer. That do all three

45cal said:
so for all those words we are back at same question, Is there such a Bullet. I think very hard to answer. That do all three

Ya have to read between the lines there bob. But to get a bullet to be perfect at all three points and in every situation, most likely isn't one. But accuracy first at any distance, then performance IMO.

Just for drill I want to post this up because it really brings forward what I look for in a quality - hunting - bullet

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand the petals. After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs. The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long. I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.

And that is the bullet I want. I hunt very thick cover. I NEED blood. A bullet that stops at the off side hide hasn't given me a blood trail in the past. So, having said that, what is my bullet? Shooting 150 yards max. I shot a pretty big buck several years ago at about 50 yards with a 240 gr 44 cal bullet, semi jacketed hollow point, I'm not really sure what it was. Buck was dead in 50 yards but there was zero blood. Took 2 of us over an hour to find him in the dark. I recovered the bullet in the off side hide. I think I want the Lehighs, right?

We're really limited in all things smoke pole especially projectiles. To give you an idea when I bought my tc bonecollector it was the second or third ever brought to the country and first in my state so the register had to make a template for the gun before I could get it.

All I've found is Hornady XTP magnum 240 gn and FPB 300 gn. I prefer the magnums they've been devastating on everything I've shot. Mind you I hunt open sights stalking through Bush so shots are always under 100 yards.

70c91348339b665411ddfd8e96e54a6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's a dandy looking critter. Congrats. But what is it?.....Red Stag?

Bones816 said:
And that is the bullet I want. I hunt very thick cover. I NEED blood. A bullet that stops at the off side hide hasn't given me a blood trail in the past. So, having said that, what is my bullet? Shooting 150 yards max. I shot a pretty big buck several years ago at about 50 yards with a 240 gr 44 cal bullet, semi jacketed hollow point, I'm not really sure what it was. Buck was dead in 50 yards but there was zero blood. Took 2 of us over an hour to find him in the dark. I recovered the bullet in the off side hide. I think I want the Lehighs, right?

I would certainly reccommend the Lehigh's, either the Bloodlines distributed by Knight Rifles or now Lehigh's own new all copper bullets...

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... zzleloader

As for bullets with Ron's 50gr testing:

150 yards is 20-30 yards past a Round ball !
The OP states 'Max accuracy at varying ranges' - not what your hunting conditions are.
I understand about a particular person area/conditions (different topic), but today's MML have the best powders and bullets available (we will not go into cost) - why would one limit oneself to 150 yards ?

Attachments

• Ron L test 35 50 copy.jpg
    Ron L test 35 50 copy.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 315
bestill said:
Kinetic performance..458 -344 gr bomb
Ron hasn't tested with 50gr - his results show pointed bullets or tips and small HP have not faired well.

I had very good luck with Cutting edge Maximus .45/.40 240 grn bullets on 2 Bull elk. Bull #1 shot at 50 yrds through the shoulder went maybe 10 yrds and fell over backwards with a lot of blood coming out his mouth and nose, and bullet passed through. #2 was shot at 100 yrds behind the shoulder, went maybe 30 yrds then tipped over. Bullet also passed through, not as much blood from mouth. I think these bullets are as close to as you will get to all 3 criteria in Muzz bullets. Accuracy from these bullets were less than MOA in my Knight 1/20 .45. Also shot 2 bullets at 225 yrds and they were 1"apart.

I was going to hunt with 480 cast bullets but I had shot a good size Boar with them and was disappointed in the lack of penetration and over expansion of the lead bullet. Boar was shot at about 70 yrds, hit him high in the spine. Bullet was found in the spine.

Squeeze, Thanks for the Trade :yeah:

RS

52, I get what you are saying. There are bullets that will work at those distances. Maybe I'm having the wrong discussion. I don't think most Avg Ml HUNTERS put in the time to shoot that far. I don't think we have the Avg guys on this site. I think that a large portion of ML hunters shoot there rifles the weekend before season to see if they still go boom ( I believe this is correct for most CF hunters also ). What I see is new guy going into Cabelas buying the new Long Range gun and new bullets guaranteed deadly at 300 yards and heading to the woods the next weekend. Because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Like I said we are probably having 2 different discussions.

twild, I'll go one step further and say I'd bet that even the vast majority on this site aren't shooting deer past 200yds. But I get what 52 is after.

twild said:
52, I get what you are saying. There are bullets that will work at those distances. Maybe I'm having the wrong discussion. I don't think most Avg Ml HUNTERS put in the time to shoot that far. I don't think we have the Avg guys on this site. I think that a large portion of ML hunters shoot there rifles the weekend before season to see if they still go boom ( I believe this is correct for most CF hunters also ). What I see is new guy going into Cabelas buying the new Long Range gun and new bullets guaranteed deadly at 300 yards and heading to the woods the next weekend. Because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Like I said we are probably having 2 different discussions.

That is spot on. In my hunting circle, I'm the only one who shoots recreationally, and or is a member of a club with range facilities. There's a few of them that shoot bows and such in their own backyard. Out of all of them, none will even shoot 10 shots a year outside of hunting. Probably 3-5 shots, and if its on paper at 50-80 yards (wherever they happen to walk to at the closest public range. That's "good and ready for this year" Maybe a few more the first outing with a gun to get the scope sighted. Typical is to get about halfway and call it good.
In the last decade or so, I remember 2 times I even had to do some tracking for myself, they were both bow, and recovered. IIRC everything with the muzzy died in sight, or at least earshot so I knew right where it was. I spend days every year after one or another of them shoots at something, and everyone gets called in to "help track"..
While back, a few of us spent the better part of a day chasing after a wounded 8 pt, till we finally ran it down and finished it. That evening hanging and skinning it, we discovered it had part of an arrow and broadhead high in a front leg,(older and already half rotten) and no sign of anything with a gun.(except the final 12ga slug at close range to the head) Went back the next morning and started back at the beginning again, and finally found the 7 pt we were supposed to be after with a slug hole high and far back. Already dead by then. LOL we got some pretty determined trackers, wish we had some better shooters..

twild said:

Agree. Which brings up another question on the bullets tested. Some of those bullets which may have failed in the comparison distance, might well work very well within many hunters maximum distance and charge used.

Squeeze said:
twild said:

That is spot on. In my hunting circle, I'm the only one who shoots recreationally, and or is a member of a club with range facilities. There's a few of them that shoot bows and such in their own backyard. Out of all of them, none will even shoot 10 shots a year outside of hunting. Probably 3-5 shots, and if its on paper at 50-80 yards (wherever they happen to walk to at the closest public range. That's "good and ready for this year" Maybe a few more the first outing with a gun to get the scope sighted. Typical is to get about halfway and call it good.
In the last decade or so, I remember 2 times I even had to do some tracking for myself, they were both bow, and recovered. IIRC everything with the muzzy died in sight, or at least earshot so I knew right where it was. I spend days every year after one or another of them shoots at something, and everyone gets called in to "help track"..
While back, a few of us spent the better part of a day chasing after a wounded 8 pt, till we finally ran it down and finished it. That evening hanging and skinning it, we discovered it had part of an arrow and broadhead high in a front leg,(older and already half rotten) and no sign of anything with a gun.(except the final 12ga slug at close range to the head) Went back the next morning and started back at the beginning again, and finally found the 7 pt we were supposed to be after with a slug hole high and far back. Already dead by then. LOL we got some pretty determined trackers, wish we had some better shooters..

Out of the approx 10 hunters in my camp, I'm the only one who shoots a ML beyond verifying its sighted in, and hunting. Most all of them own only 1. They think I'm crazy because I have a bunch. I don't shoot as much as I'd like to, but certainly ring off some range sessions each year.

Yeah squeeze.... sounds like them boys need some shooting lessons. I know a number of folks the same way. One that hunts at our lease has $29 scopes on all his guns, and there is always an issue - I've tracked more than I care to talk about. Ironically, he killed a really big one for our place this year...dropped it like a rock. Then gimped a doe the next day at 40yds.

Back to the OP.
I thought of this bullet 1st along with the Bloodline.

What more could you ask for a bullet. But this one FAILED Ron's 50gr test.. So did the heavier 325gr Bloodline.

Attachments

• Ron 50gr test Barnes 250 TEZ.jpg
    Ron 50gr test Barnes 250 TEZ.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Back