my CVA optima V2 has a 1.5lb trigger pull !?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

Reaction score
I purchased my CVA optima V2 3 seasons ago. The thing shoots great. I did notice immediately the trigger was pretty light. Anyways, fast forward to 2 years ago. I started getting into long range shooting with my centerfire rifles and competition shooting with my pistols so I got a trigger pull gauge so I could adjust triggers and such. I know the gauge is accurate as I have compared to other people's gauges. Anyways, the other night I decided to finally test my trigger pull on the CVA I own and low and behold it is at a crazy light pull of 1.5lbs. I knew it would be light but did not realize it would be that light. All my hunting rifles where a 2-2.5lb trigger so I am used to light weight triggers (even with gloves) but dang 1.5lbs is light. I am always safe and mindful of my target and beyond and again...it is not like the muzzleloader has accidently gone off or anything like that but knowing it is that light does worry me a little bit. My fear is if I sent it back to CVA I will be returned a muzzleloader with a 3.5lb or greater trigger. I can tolerate a 3lb trigger but I really do not like more than that. Thoughts?

Bigeclipse said:
I purchased my CVA optima V2 3 seasons ago. The thing shoots great. I did notice immediately the trigger was pretty light. Anyways, fast forward to 2 years ago. I started getting into long range shooting with my centerfire rifles and competition shooting with my pistols so I got a trigger pull gauge so I could adjust triggers and such. I know the gauge is accurate as I have compared to other people's gauges. Anyways, the other night I decided to finally test my trigger pull on the CVA I own and low and behold it is at a crazy light pull of 1.5lbs. I knew it would be light but did not realize it would be that light. All my hunting rifles where a 2-2.5lb trigger so I am used to light weight triggers (even with gloves) but dang 1.5lbs is light. I am always safe and mindful of my target and beyond and again...it is not like the muzzleloader has accidently gone off or anything like that but knowing it is that light does worry me a little bit. My fear is if I sent it back to CVA I will be returned a muzzleloader with a 3.5lb or greater trigger. I can tolerate a 3lb trigger but I really do not like more than that. Thoughts?

There are people on this board that know a lot about CVA - triggers so I am sure someone will be able to help you out...

I believe that this may come down to whether you feel safe with the gun or not. Since the Optima V2 trigger is not adjustable, sending it in could very well end up with you getting a much heavier pull. Unfortunately, only the Accura series features adjustable triggers, so you would be stuck with what they give you. With that being said, I do know that a gunsmith should be able to slightly lighten the trigger that CVA sends back to you. I would just caution them to not remove the trigger group in that gun, as it is literally impossible to reinstall without the correct jig from CVA. (Learned this one the hard way.) Keep us informed on what you decide to do and find out!

muzzle-loader said:
I believe that this may come down to whether you feel safe with the gun or not. Since the Optima V2 trigger is not adjustable, sending it in could very well end up with you getting a much heavier pull. Unfortunately, only the Accura series features adjustable triggers, so you would be stuck with what they give you. With that being said, I do know that a gunsmith should be able to slightly lighten the trigger that CVA sends back to you. I would just caution them to not remove the trigger group in that gun, as it is literally impossible to reinstall without the correct jig from CVA. (Learned this one the hard way.) Keep us informed on what you decide to do and find out!

hmm well, I feel confident in my abilities to stay safe with it but less so with others. I purchased another muzzleloader (accura V2 which is on the way) for 2 reasons, one because I found a good deal on a 6month old like new one and second reason was to have a backup muzzleloader for hunting should my primary gun go down OR if someone wanted to hunt with me that did not own a muzzleloader (which happened this year...they ended up using a crossbow which was the only other legal weapon to use during that part of the season). I would not have wanted that buddy to use this ML with such a light trigger. I think I'm just going to keep it the way it is and if someone ends up hunting with me, they can use my new accura and ill use this. I have been hunting with it for 3 years now and I am used to the trigger being as light as it is. Thanks for your input...I would have definitely hated getting a heavy trigger back and we do not have any gun smiths around where I live to be able to lighten it back up.

I bought a used Accura V2 a few years back, it has an adjustable trigger but I was never able to get it above 2 lbs. I contacted CVA about it and they said to send the rifle in, I never did.

I did take the the butt stock off so I could get a good look at the inside of the trigger assembly. Everything looked good. I’m only guessing that the trigger spring is either the wrong one or it was made weak. Maybe the spring is installed wrong, I’m just not sure without having an assembly diagram.

I’m not sure how much of the trigger you can see with the Optima butt stock off but maybe try it and take a look.

Do a bump/drop test with yours and see if your rifle passes.

I do like a light, crisp trigger and the Accura is a joy to shoot, that’s the reason I never sent it in.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I bought a used Accura V2 a few years back, it has an adjustable trigger but I was never able to get it above 2 lbs. I contacted CVA about it and they said to send the rifle in, I never did.

I did take the the butt stock off so I could get a good look at the inside of the trigger assembly. Everything looked good. I’m only guessing that the trigger spring is either the wrong one or it was made weak. Maybe the spring is installed wrong, I’m just not sure without having an assembly diagram.

I’m not sure how much of the trigger you can see with the Optima butt stock off but maybe try it and take a look.

Do a bumb/drop test with yours and see if your rifle passes.

I do like a light, crisp trigger and the Accura is a joy to shoot, that’s the reason I never sent it in.
I will examine it later thanks. I have done the bump/drop test (always do on new firearms) and the sear does not fall so from that aspect...it is safe. The biggest thing is if I ever lent it to someone else when we go hunting. I guess I will be lending them the accura V2 instead (assuming that thing does not have a crazy light trigger as well haha).

I also have a optima V2 nitride got it off Amazon. It has a great trigger, but also a very light pull, no creep. I decided to take it out the last week of deer season here (first week of January) and killed two deer. The last one was at 80-90yds. Next time I take it hunting I won't cock the hammer till I'm ready to shoot. They are very accurate guns!

Bigeclipse said:
BuckDoeHunter said:

Do a bumb/drop test with yours and see if your rifle passes.

I will examine it later thanks. I have done the bump/drop test (always do on new firearms) and the sear does not fall so from that aspect...it is safe. The biggest thing is if I ever lent it to someone else when we go hunting. I guess I will be lending them the accura V2 instead (assuming that thing does not have a crazy light trigger as well haha).

At least with the Accura you can adjust the trigger. I've actually found that they don't go quite as light as I prefer, but I realize that I like extremely light triggers because I hunt without gloves in warmer weather.

I have an optima v2 stainless thumbhole and it too has a 2lbs ish trigger it literally scares the crap out of me. If I'm on the range with a normal rifle I will pop the safety while getting my eyes right on the scope and then slide my trigger finger down to fire. When I fire the CVA I get my eyes right in the scope and then cock the hammer and don't screw around at all while its cocked. I hunted with that gun 2 weekends ago and had several deer come in and kept giving me awkward shots and when it finally went broadside I cocked the hammer back to find out it was a possible shed buck so I switched over to the doe but not before lowering the hammer. I cocked the hammer and lowered it about 3 times cause it bothers me so much. Doing a lot of target and Varmint shooting with a savage rifle with accu trigger I like a gun with a nice, crisp, no creep trigger but not on a hunting gun. I thought about sending it to CVA but like posted above never know what you will get back.

ohiohunter2017 said:
I have an optima v2 stainless thumbhole and it too has a 2lbs ish trigger it literally scares the crap out of me. If I'm on the range with a normal rifle I will pop the safety while getting my eyes right on the scope and then slide my trigger finger down to fire. When I fire the CVA I get my eyes right in the scope and then cock the hammer and don't screw around at all while its cocked. I hunted with that gun 2 weekends ago and had several deer come in and kept giving me awkward shots and when it finally went broadside I cocked the hammer back to find out it was a possible shed buck so I switched over to the doe but not before lowering the hammer. I cocked the hammer and lowered it about 3 times cause it bothers me so much. Doing a lot of target and Varmint shooting with a savage rifle with accu trigger I like a gun with a nice, crisp, no creep trigger but not on a hunting gun. I thought about sending it to CVA but like posted above never know what you will get back.
Yeah that about sums it up for me. Honestly cocking the hammer and letting it down has become second nature for me. The accura I just got has a 3lb trigger. I wish it could go down to 2.5lbs but I’m not going to complain either. This gun I will let friends use while I use the hair trigger optima haha

Back