Which speed loader for loose powder and some additional powder questions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

Reaction score
What speed loader do you all use for loose powder? Also, how do you keep static down? I find my blackhorn209 powder sticking to the sides of my current speed loaders and I have to tap them to get most all of the powder out. Do I also need to tap the barrel of the muzzleloader, or is the bullet being seated good enough to push all the powder down? Thanks!

I use TC speed loaders they worked well enough so I never tried any thing else.
For the static problem I use ant static sheets the wife uses in the dryer [Bounce].

I poured powdered graphite in my speed loaders, poured it back out. The residue as enough to reduce sticking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto the dryer sheet. Works like a champ!

I use Lanes Tubes. They work great. I ordered different color lids so I can color code my different volume loads :)

WV Hunter said:

I use Lanes Tubes. They work great. I ordered different color lids so I can color code my different volume loads :)
Can you put a bullet in the tube with the powder?

Bigeclipse said:
What speed loader do you all use for loose powder? Also, how do you keep static down? I find my blackhorn209 powder sticking to the sides of my current speed loaders and I have to tap them to get most all of the powder out. Do I also need to tap the barrel of the muzzleloader, or is the bullet being seated good enough to push all the powder down? Thanks!

This is the loader I have switched to... use to use the TC 4-1 speed loader but this one is more versatile

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... r?a=271210

th

QuinnTheEskimo said:
WV Hunter said:

I don't. When I go out I usually bring 3 tubes full of powder, and one tube with 3 bullets. I think they are a tad wide for both in one, but I have not tried. I haven't had to load super fast in a really long time, so its never been an issue for the extra smidge of time to get the bullet out of the other tube.

I do use actual butler creek speed loaders with some of my rifles, that the loads will fit in. They aren't long enough to hold any more than about 100gr volume with the bullet. And they don't make them anymore.

Bigeclipse, you asked about tapping the powder down. No need, the bullet or bullet sabot combo will push any that might be loose on down. BH likes a firm seat of the bullet. Likely once you get the static squared away in your loaders you wouldn't notice any in the bore.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
WV Hunter said:

I do. I put either a 275gn Bloodline or a 265gn Lehigh in mine and then 120gn V oh BH on top. These are the taller tubes. Then I carry one tube that has just primers in it.

The link to ebay posted by Buckdoehunter is for Lane. He is a member here and also has a Sticking in the classifieds, the Link to his ad is below. Scroll down to his display sitting on the washing machine. 3rd from the left is a bullet and sabot on bottom with powder on top.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24181

Sabotloader, I have a friend that just bought the TC 4-1 that you posted. It looks pretty good. I like that they have it bored out to go over the ramrod as a “T” handle. Might have to get some myself.

88f8b2068d4f17c40f33d001d6ec9dab.jpg

I started using these right after they came out. Each bullet is in its own holder. I take a package out and store it with my powder holder. Makes a nice package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Hunter said:
..........I use Lanes Tubes. They work great..........When I go out I usually bring 3 tubes full of powder, and one tube with 3 bullets.................
Kinda how i go out; works good! However, i don't carry three tubes full; just carry 65 weighed grain in each of the three tube.

:mrgreen:

ronlaughlin said:
WV Hunter said:
..........I use Lanes Tubes. They work great..........When I go out I usually bring 3 tubes full of powder, and one tube with 3 bullets.................
Kinda how i go out; works good! However, i don't carry three tubes full; just carry 65 weighed grain in each of the three tube.

What is funny Ron... a buddy of mine uses the old green speed loaders. He doesn't powder measure ever, just puts the bullet in and fills the loader up full behind it (w pyrodex) and closes it up. I asked him one time how much he shoots, he said he has no clue. I suspect its probably about 105-110gr based on my loaders/bullets. Needless to say, he has no clue if that is the best load for his rifle. As long as he can hit a 3-4" spot at 75yds, he says he's good. :? I will say, he's done this for many many years and not lost one with his ML, so its working for him thus far, but I don't recommend it. :lol: :lol:

Back