Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Western Powders say it is 115 ÷ 0.7, but actually it depends on the powder lot, and on one's powder measure. That is a very very hefty load. 84 grain weight is the recommended maximum.

It's almost 164 grains by volume. If you're doing a 500 grain you'll have a touch of recoil.

45cal said:
Question . 115 grains by weight BH209 is what in volume
I agree with the previous posts. Ouch you and the gun..
BH209 data heaviest bullet listed is 444gr - they DO NOT recommend Max loads (84/120), their highest recommended load is 70/100.. I have to say, there is something they know that we don't..

I had something strange happen to me during deer season . I normally weigh my loads . Just for kicks I thought I would measure my loads by volume for hunting . I 've found that both ways work fine as long as your consistent . If I measure by volume I normally use Blackhorn tubes . Well for what ever reason I thought I would use my old brass black powder measure . It's a brass measure with a funnel attached . I measured out some 120 grain loads of Blackhorn 209 by volume . I shot these loads out of my .45 Omega with a 270 grain Emax . When I shot the gun I thought it had a lot of recoil . The gun shot good so I didn't think to much about kick .

I then was gonna load some quick loads to go hunting . I decided to use my Blackhorn tubes as quick loads but I was still going to use my old Black Powder measure with the attached funnel to measure out my loads and then pour into my Blackhorn tubes . I thought that this may be more accurate way to measure by volume . When I went to pour my 120 grain loads into my Blackhorn tubes it would hardly fit ! What the heck ? ! I checked my brass measure again to make sure I had it set on 120 grains by volume . I did ! I then weighed these loads they weighed 110 grains by weight ! I've never shot that hot of a load . No wonder I thought the gun kicked excessively ! I then went back to weighing out my 84 grain Blackhorn loads. Im kind of a recoil sissy i really dont like heavy loads . Just enough to get the job done !

Do those brass measure normally vary that much ? That's crazy !

None of my BH tubes read the same as my powder measure. They are all pretty consistently 10 gr short, If I measure 100gr in measure it shows 90 in the tubes.

I agree with the previous posts. Ouch you and the gun..
BH209 data heaviest bullet listed is 444gr - they DO NOT recommend Max loads (84/120), their highest recommended load is 70/100..

Rick are you talking about with a 444 grain bullets ? I went on Blackhorn sight I can not find where they say 70/100 . I saw loads 84/120 but only to 300 grain bullets .

115 gr bye weight is appx 165 volume.
Some southwestern hunters are shooting this load in custom built guns with breaks and 325 gr bullets appx 2600 fps definitely trouble in factory guns.
Probably making near 50k pressure

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Twild
My brass measure was waaay more than my Blackhorn tubes . That seemed very odd .
Weigh Black Powder from the brass, just to see...

twild is correct the Blackhorn tubes are off by 10. I have found the clear TC U View measure to be the most accurate when checked against weight.

I know that blackhorn's weight can change with each can purchased but I feel better weighing mine at the level I shoot in my guns. 77 grains weighed will be 77 grains weighed regardless of any change to the volume of the powder. Weight is static measure. I have one gun now that will be trialed using the rs T7 and those charges will get the volume type of measure and tubed.

bestill said:
115 gr bye weight is appx 165 volume.

That is a LARGE gap, and excellent proof why a guy needs to know this stuff and not just guess it!

Back