Another Trip to the Rock Pit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got or actually made some free time Tuesday so I packed up and headed back to the rock pit...

This trip I wanted to shoot the Lehigh .452x265CF-HP. I have long said probably the best all-around bullet that I use was the Lehigh/Bloodline .458x275. I really prefer shooting a bullet that is close to bore size so I can reduce the thickness on the sabot carrying the projectile up the bore. For myself I really believe I get better accuracy with the thinner sabot.

This picture shows the .458-275 just for reference...

Lehigh458-275_DOA.jpg

This shows the new all Copper Lehigh .452x265CF-HP

265_Misc_Pics.jpg

The first round of the shoot I shot the 265 to work on the 9 birds on the wall. The 265 worked very well with accuracy being all that I expected. Even on the 2 heart shots that I took. The 3rd heart shot was a miss-calculation on my part. Instead using the 265 I wanted to go back to my elk bullet. The Lehigh/Bloodline .458x300 grain. It shot just a tad lower and I ended hitting the bottom of the bird and blowing the bird up. This bullet is awesome on elk and little - well may a lot to much for deer.

Lehigh300DOA.jpg

This picture shows round one of the morning shoot.

Lehigh_452-265_Shoot.jpg

The second round - I walked another set of birds out to the wall and shot the Lehigh/Bloodline .458x275 grain bullet just for a comparison with the 265... I was completly satisfied whatever I thought I could do with the 275 the 265 would do also - maybe even a tad better.

Another day of rest and relaxation - just like retirement is suppose to be!

Great shooting Mike. Congrads on the Retirement! I did not get to Harvest anything this year (got skunked :( ) with the .452x265CF but loved the way it loaded and shot in my Ulite. While the .458x275 BL shot good for me, I hated loading that one in mine. It was Very tight in my bore, to the point of sometimes struggleing to get it to seat on a BH fouled bore, even after a JB treatment. No such problem with the .452x265CF :yeah:

ShawnT said:
Great shooting Mike. Congrads on the Retirement! I did not get to Harvest anything this year (got skunked :( ) with the .452x265CF but loved the way it loaded and shot in my Ulite. While the .458x275 BL shot good for me, I hated loading that one in mine. It was Very tight in my bore, to the point of sometimes struggleing to get it to seat on a BH fouled bore, even after a JB treatment. No such problem with the .452x265CF :yeah:

Well that certainly makes the 265 more desirable - I hate fighting a bullet to get it down. Fortunately for me the 458 will go down both of my Ulites and the Mountaineer, with what I call normal pressure.

I did not trip a deer this year at all... I kept telling myself wait for the right buck! Lots of does and a few smal bucks but never thr 'right' buck showed.

Elk season was also a bust... we spent a lot of time scouting a new area on priviate land and then when the season came on the owner let his ranch hand convince him to post it so he and his friends could hunt it.

Elk season was also a bust... we spent a lot of time scouting a new area on priviate land and then when the season came on the owner let his ranch convince him to post it so he and his friends could hunt it.

Well that stinks.

I know how that feels too. The Property that is on 2 sides of our farm in Ohio is paper company property. I have hunted it since I was a Kid and the previous owners ran cattle. The Paper company originally let anyone hunt there too. The last few years now the Paper company has been Leasing out the Hunting rights to it, so can't go over there now. :( I saw deer on it but not like usual and they were not moving around like normal from some odd reason. :huh?:

Back