Barnes tmz with crushed ribs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

Reaction score
I went to shoot a new to me (slightly used) cva accura v2. I had some Hornady 225grain 44cal ftx laying around so I decided to shoot those. They shot excellent groups. .75 to 1 inch at 100 yards. That being said, I heard these bullets are not the greatest for deer so I went to try the Barnes tmz 290. Damn, it was almost impossible to load those things and yes that was on a clean barrel. I was using the green crushed ribs I had for 44 cal bullets on my Hornady bullets and those were easy to load. My question is can I use crushed rib sabots for the tmz? I believe they are 45 cal so if I can, can anyone recommend where to get them? Can you buy tmz without sabots and save money or do you have to buy the bullet sabots combo they sell? Thanks!

You can shoot the Barnes in a crushed rib sabot. They make them for a flat base and a boatail you just got to get the right one. I believe the flat base is black and the boatail is yellow. You can get them a lot of places on the Internet I know Midway USA and Graf and Sons usually carry them. But you can go to Harvester’s site and order directly from them. It’s usually more exspensive straight from harvester though.

Just use the TEZ 290. It comes with a smaller diameter sabot than the TMZ and loads easily enough in my CVA Accuras, It is a very accurate bullet for me over 110 gn BH209. I doubt you would see much, if any, difference in accuracy than with the TMZ.

It sounds like you were trying to use a 44 caliber sabot with a 45 caliber bullet, a MMP 24 or a Harvester short black [for 300 grain and under] would work much better if that is what is happening.

Give the Hornady 250gr Monoflex bullets a try. They are solid copper just like the Barnes and they already come in sabots that your CVA should like. Both my CVA’s and my Prohunter likes them. The Hornady Monoflex bullets are cheaper than the Barnes bullet already and when you figure in buying new sabots there way cheaper.

WPrather said:
Give the Hornady 250gr Monoflex bullets a try. They are solid copper just like the Barnes and they already come in sabots that your CVA should like. Both my CVA’s and my Prohunter likes them. The Hornady Monoflex bullets are cheaper than the Barnes bullet already and when you figure in buying new sabots there way cheaper.
The only thing I can find like that are 45-70 bullet heads. Is that what you are talking about?

The Monoflex is NOT solid copper like Barnes. It is a copper zinc alloy also known as guilding metal. They work fine but they are NOT solid copper.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/monoflex#!/
Constructed of a copper alloy, MonoFlex® bullets offer hunters a solid that won't separate, and when recovered, retains 95% of its original weight. Copper alloy differs from solid copper in that it is harder, tougher and does not foul or increase pressure the way solid copper bullets do.

You can buy them in bulk as .458s made for reloading 45/70s or you can buy them with sabots in .452. The 458s will limit sabot choices to the MMP Orange or Harvester Black Crushrib. Both of those options will be really tight in many bores. The MMP Orange will run about .506 loaded OD. The Harvester will run about .509 loaded OD with a .458 instead of a .452. You could also use a MMP 3P-EZ and get about .506 if a 3 petal sabot works for you.

Cabelas has the Monoflex .452s in stock with sabots
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=8

GM54-120 said:
The Monoflex is NOT solid copper like Barnes. It is a copper zinc alloy also known as guilding metal. They work fine but they are NOT solid copper.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/monoflex#!/
Constructed of a copper alloy, MonoFlex® bullets offer hunters a solid that won't separate, and when recovered, retains 95% of its original weight. Copper alloy differs from solid copper in that it is harder, tougher and does not foul or increase pressure the way solid copper bullets do.

You can buy them in bulk as .458s made for reloading 45/70s or you can buy them with sabots in .452. The 458s will limit sabot choices to the MMP Orange or Harvester Black Crushrib. Both of those options will be really tight in many bores. The MMP Orange will run about .506 loaded OD. The Harvester will run about .509 loaded OD with a .458 instead of a .452. You could also use a MMP 3P-EZ and get about .506 if a 3 petal sabot works for you.

Cabelas has the Monoflex .452s in stock with sabots
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=8

Since these are for a 45-70 rifle what do you think the minimum operating velocity might be? I have found most often with the 45-70 have a 1600 FPS minimum?

They passed Ron's test IIRC but Hornady does load them to around 2000fps in their ammo.

Notice the hollow point appears to have a larger volume than the Barnes and possibly more serrations.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black- ... khorn.html

50grV BH209
IMG_0966.JPG

80grV BH209
IMG_0508.JPG

GM54-120 said:
They passed Ron's test IIRC but Hornady does load them to around 2000fps in their ammo.

Notice the hollow point appears to have a larger volume than the Barnes and possibly more serrations.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black- ... khorn.html

50grV BH209
IMG_0966.JPG

80grV BH209
IMG_0508.JPG

That is good to know. So is the .458x250 the only Monoflex in .458?

Yes its the only weight in .458 and .452. The bullet is basically the same size though as a 325gr FTX. Its almost hard to tell them apart at a quick glance.

I forgot to touch on this also.
I have found most often with the 45-70 have a 1600 FPS minimum?

Hornady, Remington and Sierra all offer a 300gr JHP that work very well at lower speeds. Im fond of the Sierra if the goal is a slower moving 300gr cup and core HP. Sierra made theirs specifically to function at "trapdoor" type speeds within a reasonable range of course. Thin jacket and soft alloy core. They run through my sizing die like butter.

I cant remember if i sent any to Ron or not but i bet it would perform quite well.

Latest posts

Back