Knight Original Disc Breechplug ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
I have a Knight original orange disc rifle that I picked up with a rusty bore and had it relined to a .32 cal. 1;30” twist .010 deep by Robert Hoyt. I’m in the load development stage with this rifle and I’m shooting .315 RB with a lubed .024 patch, 25 grains of Swiss 3F, CCI 209 primers. So far it shoots ok but not near what I would expect. It seems to me to be excessive blowback in the breech area,from the threads on the BP to the chrome on the bolt after I remove it. I don’t know much about Knights but I know others on here are pretty savvy with them. Does it make a differance with blowback if the front ring/edge of the breechplug mates poorly to the shoulder of the barrel, something I have to check? Should I work on mating those two surfaces together for a perfect seal? Or should I upgrade to the newer style ignition for 209 primers. After shooting aprx. 30 rounds yesterday I noticed the breechplug was very snug to unscrew with all the crud. I use neversieze on those threads too.
Thanks, Magnum

If it were mine I would scrub out the Bp threads thoroughly with a good solvent and a round nylon brush to get all the never seize out, Make sure that the shelf in the barrel that the BP mates too is clean too. Then switch to Teflon tape on the Bp threads. I would also think you might be getting blow by past the primer though the Orange disc, Causing soot in the action. I also would do some searching and find a RPJ bolt and put a Lehigh BP and adapter in.

I never tried Swiss in my custom .32 but did in my Marathon .32, I did not care for it. I thought it left more fouling. My Knight LK .36 likes Swiss though.

I just picked up a deal on a Knight disc, thinking I would use the action for a build. Its in great condition, but came with the original orange disc system. That means Id have to put another ~$200 plus into it to convert to bare primer. That deal gun kind of sunk in the mire... I wasn't thinking of the primer system at that time, and this is my first that came in the orange disc. I have a dozen Knight bolts all bare primer, (Including a .32 conversion)
Bare primer is by far the cleanest system, I shoot Blackhorn in mine. I'm in Point Pleasant if your close.

Back