Another visit - with a different rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I tried to get out and do some shooting Saturday afternoon, but when I got to the Rock Pit it was occupied. There was a large group of college students doing their thing in the pit. But, I really have to give them credit, when I got there today to shoot it appears they did a really good job picking up a lot of the debris in the pit and hauling it off. Do not see this very often! And you can not believe what some people bring to the pit to shoot and then just leave it there. Anyway it was really presentable and I for one really appreciated their work.

Today I left town about 10 trying to beat the incoming weather. When I got to the Rock Pit there had been a skiff of fresh snow in the area - since there were not fresh vehicle tracks, I felt pretty confident that I would have the pit to myself.

Todays adventure was pretty much the same as the last two trips, with a couple of changes... I switched rifles and brought out a Western DISC Extreme. Since I was shooting a Western rifle I was using a RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075+ caps - I also switched to the old T7 standby...

This is the rifle...

Western_DISC_Extreme.jpg

Open sights for here in Idaho

Williams_FP_Peep.jpg

Williams_Front_Sight.jpg

Again I was shooting clay birds off the end wall of the pit but this trip for was going to take a little bit more concentration to make the shots than it is with the scoped rifle. This rifle is sighted in the same way I sight in a scoped rifle - it shoots right @ 3" high at 100 yards. It is sighted in for shooting a 300 grain bullet. That is important to remember because it helps explain my first to shots with the 248 gr. bullet I was trying. For me the 3" PBR is very helpful with the open sights. @ 100 yards if I were to hold the fiber optic on the bird it would hide the bird completely. And just so you know the birds are awfully small @ 100 yards and looking through a peep. Knowing that... my first shot I grabbed a 6 O'clock hold on the bird with the bird appearing to be right on top of the fiber optic. The first shot missed the first bird high and right - I convinced myself the problem was the clean barrel and the first shot. Loaded up for the second shot - no patching involved - with a cap and T7 there really is know sign of a 'crud ring' - anyway loaded and back on the bench I took the same hold and took the shot - same thing! I missed slightly high but dead on left/right. At this point then it occurs to me this lighter bullet could easily be higher than the 300 I normally shoot.

Loaded again and this time I put a little air between the fiber optic and the bottom of the bird - that solved the problem - bird gone... For there it was easy sledding shooting the rest of the targets.

This rifle and load really makes me a better shooter than I really am.... The last shot of the day proved that to me... Here is a pictorial of todays events...

LP_Shoot.jpg

In the pictorial it is really hard to see the birds on the wall in the top left picture but they are there...

The best shot of the day the rifle made was the last shot. I finished shooting all the birds on the wall - even picked off a bird laying sideways between the two upper birds. After that I really wanted to try a more difficult shot - so with the bino's I looked around the wall looking for a small chip that I could try.

The middle left picture shows the chip I found. I ran the camera up to 16X trying to get a pic of the chip. It was laying in a strip of snow. I put a red circle around the location. When I found it with the bino's I really did not think I would be able to see it through the peep but I was able to see just a little bit orange. I estimated the size of the chip and placed the fiber bead at what I thought would be low enough to catch the chip. Took the shot chip gone!!! Middle bottom picture. That was good enough for me this rifle is a shooter... Packed up and came home.

Perfect timing - I got about mile back up the road and it stated rain/snowing - hard and fast...

Sometimes things just work out!

It is funny, how something so simple as a good day of shooting can put a smile on one's face! I always appreciate your range reports, especially when I don't get out to burn some powder myself... :yeah:

I really never have anything of great importance - in fact often times I am backwards with the ML community - but it sure is fun to get out of the house and shoot. Health and relaxation - I recommend it to everyone!

sqezer said:
Great shooting buddy. :yeah:

I am really kinda happy with this shoot... I am not really that good with open sights since I have shot scopes all my life - except in the military... The REALLY big thing for me is just to let my eye do the work and quit looking to see if everything is centered!!! hard to do sometimes especially when you are trying to make the perfect shot...

You really need to deliever me a UPS package out here and then spend a few hours shooting either at the farm (if it freezes), or in the pit we could have a ton of fun shooting...

Speaking of which did those parts make it back there?

Don't sell yourself short SL...that's some real fine shooting, especially with a peep. I know a number of folks that couldn't do that with a scope.
:yeah: :D

What I want to know is how the hell he goes from green grass and water cans in the first two pictures to what I have everywhere around me in a day and likely a short trip. If you can tell me how to find grass like that after yesterday's weather that we had, Ill :prayer: to you Sabotloader. lol

MrTom said:
What I want to know is how the hell he goes from green grass and water cans in the first two pictures to what I have everywhere around me in a day and likely a short trip. If you can tell me how to find grass like that after yesterday's weather that we had, Ill :prayer: to you Sabotloader. lol

Smiling hugely after reading you thoughts... The first two pics were taken at home in Moscow - the temp was 39* - then travel east from Moscow about 35 miles to the pit...the temp was about the same but the pit has and does get more snow every year than we do - so even though it is melting there was some left.... In a normal year - I would not even think of getting into the rock pit!

The only reason I am going there now my to farm locations that I shoot at are muddy Palouse clay fields... yicky sticky mud that sticks to everything! Wish it would freeze so I could go to the either farm... The farm I normally go to - the Dinger Farm - the fields are all seed to Spring Wheat which is just starting to pop up - but really muddy!

I had almost a foot of the white yesterday. Heavy, wet, white. Plus it rained for two hours before the flakes came so everything is basically ice underneath. I envy you for having a place to go and pop a few. The sportsmans club I belong to is about 30 miles southeast of home and they mainly had rain yesterday but the roads were about shut down between here than there. The roads are still in tough shape. Plenty warm though.

I had to say something after seeing the pictures. Thanks for a brief spring interlude.

Nice shootin. We had 65 degrees here Sunday and snow Monday.

Looks like fun as always mike!! No such thing as a bad day for me when i am shooting these Blackpowder rifles, even the times when things don’t go as planned, LIKE YESTERDAY! :lol: I shot that new .451 Bore 1:18 twist with my New Elliptical Bullet worse than I have ever shot it? My shots felt great, but they didn’t do what i hoped, Back to the drawing board! Honestly, that’s part of the fun of this stuff to me, figuring out what the Rifle needs to shoot to its full potential.

Idaholewis said:
Looks like fun as always mike!! No such thing as a bad day for me when i am shooting these Blackpowder rifles, even the times when things don’t go as planned, LIKE YESTERDAY! :lol: I shot that new .451 Bore 1:18 twist with my New Elliptical Bullet worse than I have ever shot it? My shots felt great, but they didn’t do what i hoped, Back to the drawing board! Honestly, that’s part of the fun of this stuff to me, figuring out what the Rifle needs to shoot to its full potential.

Looking at the weather map and forecast - looks like you will pushing snow tomorrow!

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

Looking at the weather map and forecast - looks like you will pushing snow tomorrow!

Yep! It’s already doing it! DARN Stuff! :lol:

sabotloader said:
sqezer said:

I am really kinda happy with this shoot... I am not really that good with open sights since I have shot scopes all my life - except in the military... The REALLY big thing for me is just to let my eye do the work and quit looking to see if everything is centered!!! hard to do sometimes especially when you are trying to make the perfect shot...

You really need to deliever me a UPS package out here and then spend a few hours shooting either at the farm (if it freezes), or in the pit we could have a ton of fun shooting...

Yes, Thanks Mike. and yes I will make the trip some day. I told the son if the Elk Trip in the fall goes great I'm sending him and the boys home with the truck & trailer and I'm heading NORTH to IDAHO. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: and your package will go out Monday. :applause: :applause:

sqezer said:
sabotloader said:
sqezer said:

Yes, Thanks Mike. and yes I will make the trip some day. I told the son if the Elk Trip in the fall goes great I'm sending him and the boys home with the truck & trailer and I'm heading NORTH to IDAHO. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: and your package will go out Monday. :applause: :applause:

GOTCHA - bring ur rifle O nevermind - I bet I have an extra...

sabotloader said:
Bones816 said:
Why can't I see the pics?

Gosh! I do not know for sure unless you have a setting on your computer that will not allow then to come through.

try this link and see it the pics show up...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798
Today I’m viewing on my phone and I can see them. I’ll have to check my pc tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back