Barnes 250 gr TEZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahunter87

Reaction score
recently switched to using BH 209 and Barnes 250 gr tez in my .50 t/c triumph. using 100g/v of 209 I shot 2 deer with this combo during the late muzzle season and recovered both bullets from the deer. was very pleased at what each tez looked like after expansion. should have made the switch sooner, now just trying to debate on trying the 290 gr tez

Congratulations ! 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 would be a good average load . Could you take a picture of your bullets for the members to see ?

Fast becoming the most favored bullet on ML inline messageboards.
All that might stop you from a permanent change to the 290s, is noting it's increased recoil presence and/or decreased accuracy.

Nothing wrong with increased thumping power in the harvest.... all for the same price as the 250s. So no harm in trying it at the range and capturing another little flower to compare, at harvest-time.

I would also like to see your bullet pictures. This is a recovered Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullet fired out of a CVA Accura MR using 2 pellets of T7 which took a nice buck at about 40/45 yards. I should add that this bullet weighed 246 gr after recovery.

71kcWdVh.jpg

Just curious how far the shots where and was they quartered or broadside? Did the deer run off and leave a blood trail?

I don’t like the idea of not getting a pass thru myself. Deer shot out of a treestand with a higher entrance hole just don’t leave much of a blood trail without a exit hole down low. The 290gr should penetrait deeper just because of the weight.

WPrather said:
Just curious how far the shots where and was they quartered or broadside? Did the deer run off and leave a blood trail?

I don’t like the idea of not getting a pass thru myself. Deer shot out of a treestand with a higher entrance hole just don’t leave much of a blood trail without a exit hole down low. The 290gr should penetrait deeper just because of the weight.

the first shot was roughly 80 yards slightly quartered away. bullet was sitting just inside the hide on the off shoulder... second deer was a mature Iowa buck shot at roughly 60 yards quartered towards me. bullet entered just in front of left shoulder broke left leg went through a rib passed thru his vitals and broke a rib leaving and was just behind the hide on that deer also. the 80 yard shot she dropped and the second shot completely lifted the buck off his feet knocked him over and yes the second shot left a blood trail

+2 on the exit hole.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

GoexBlackhorn said:
Fast becoming the most favored bullet on ML inline messageboards.
All that might stop you from a permanent change to the 290s, is noting it's increased recoil presence and/or decreased accuracy.

Nothing wrong with increased thumping power in the harvest.... all for the same price as the 250s. So no harm in trying it at the range and capturing another little flower to compare, at harvest-time.

will more then likely switch to see what the penetration difference is, as long as the accuracy stays very similar

I like the looks of the mushroomed bullet. But I don’t understand how you can shoot a deer at 40yds with a 250gr bullet and not get a pass thru and think it’s a good thing. Unless you shot him in the center of the chest and it stopped right before it exited it’s butt. It makes me wonder how much penetration are you going to get at 100-150yds if you didn’t get any at 40yds.

Yep. I want an exit hole. What is more likely to increase the chances of that? Heavier bullet or more powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 on an exit hole, The problem is you usually don't get one on long angle quartering shots. That's a good bullet almost as good as a Bloodline,
A little more powder and the heavier bullet will give you the best chance of an exit on those type shots. I often wait for a broadside shot when that is an option,

I don't always get a pass through with 250 gr Barnes Expander MZ's, but they usually drop where they were standing.
My daughter shot a buck this year at 50 yards with a 250 Barnes pushed with 90 gr BH. Slight quartering towards shot.
The bullet tore through the front shoulder and was found in the opposite hide near 2nd to last rib. Perfect "flowered Barnes" as usual.

I am concerned about the bullet not exiting. Especially at those ranges. I have shot numerous deer with the Hornady 250 SST and had a pass through every time.

looking for barnes bulk bullets in the mid michigan area. Not well traveled in this search, my go to has hornady options galore, Help!

Anyone know what the OD is on a 250gr Barnes in a TEZ sabot? I use the 250gr Spit-Fire TMZ with the yellow crush ribbed sabots and when they get over .504" or so, they are just too difficult too load even with using BH209. Thanks.

Acording to the chart it is .501

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

The exit hole is why I use Bloodline instead of Barnes. I need to try some of the new Lehigh bullets and see if they are as good as the bloodline.

Are the Lehighs and the Knight Bloodlines the same bullet?

Bones816 said:
Are the Lehighs and the Knight Bloodlines the same bullet?
Not exactly. Similar design and function but Lehigh is Copper and Bloodline is Brass.

Back