245 grain maxiball in 454 suited for Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
any one shoot this combo? its a 1/30 twist 45 cal.
thanks
Ben

I have shot Maxi’s in my 1:30 Green Mountain barrel, they shot ok, I had a Grease Groove bullet made for my 45 that really works well in my 1:30 twist. There is no comparison in this Bullet and a Maxi ball though. The Maxi is better suited to a stock 1:48 Twist.

Here is the new Grease Groove bullet i had made, and a 100 yard target

Who made the mold? what alloy do you cast them in? do you size them? if you size them do you go .001 over bore ? how do you lube them?

Good looking bullets !

zymguy said:
Who made the mold? what alloy do you cast them in? do you size them? if you size them do you go .001 over bore ? how do you lube them?

Good looking bullets !

Accurate molds #46-380, No sizing required, As you can see by the band Diameters they are overbore, When i had this bullet made i wanted a good TIGHT fitting bullet that i could trust would stay put on the powder charge for hunting, i wanted a bullet that started tight, and stayed tight. This bullet does that!! The Alloy i am using is 40:1 (8.5 BHN) I tried dead soft plumbers lead, it shot fine, but about halfway down the bore it would start to get loose from the soft lead giving up, Going up to 40:1 fixed that! Lube is another important thing, i started out using Gatfeo and was shooting decent, but not great? The Gatfeo i was using was on the hard side.
I tried a Bullet in my .50 Cal made by Bullshop (His .504~460) it is what inspired me to have this 45 mold made, the Bullshop bullets were prelubed with Bullshops ‘NASA’ Lube (REALLY REALLY GOOD STUFF!!) I noticed the ‘NASA’ Lube was soft/sticky stuff, WAY softer than the Gatfeo i was using, but was durable and stayed put in the grooves. I tried them at 50-60 yards to see how they acted? I only had 4 bullets to try, i shot this 3 shot Group and saved the 4th Bullet to send to Tom at Accurate molds

Here is the Bullshop .50 Cal Target

I was sold on The Bullshop Bullet! I contacted Dan of Bullshop and asked his permission to have that bullet copied as closely as i could get it, Dan had no problems with me doing that. I ended up having the .50 Made first, then I decided to have the same type of bullet (Oversize band Diameters) made for .45, and .54 Cal

Here is the mold # with the exact dimensions i had it made, Tom can easily make any changes you might want?

Here is how i lube them, i made a cookie cutter from a .458 Win Magnum case

I am shooting a TC Hawken with a 1:30 fast twist Green Mountain barrel. As far as velocity goes i am not sure what you will get from an inline? How hard you can push them? Dan from Bullshop told me that 1,300 FPS From Blackpowder and a Conical was ‘Magical’ (His EXACT words) i fully believe him to be dead on with that! He was talking best accuracy. I Chronographed my 400 Grain Paper Patched bullets just to see what i could get? I was able to get 1,500 FPS from my 28” barrel, I wouldn’t try and push any harder than that.

Here is another bullet that i am Confident would shoot VERY well in your 1:30 Twist, This is my Paper Patch bullet i had Accurate Molds cut for me. The starting point for this bullet was his .460 S&W, i had changes made and here is what i came up with, My bullet is on the right, the Left bullet is the RCBS 11MM, Another VERY good Bullet!

Here is the first target i shot with the bullet above, this was 50-60 yards. I have yet to further test this bullet, i REALLY need to get out and do that! I want to shoot them out to 200-300 yards and see how they do? I didn’t have this bullet made with intentions of long range, this is a Hunting bullet! Big Wide Meplats hit like HAMMERS

And last, but not least the .444-400 Grain cupped base, Swaged bullet from Buffalo Arms. I am shooting this bullet to 500 yards with the same Sidelock rifle as above. No doubt in my mind this bullet would shoot extremely well in your 1:30 twist, same as mine.

100 yard Target with the bullet above, 7 shots

That target is 505 yards from my barrel, ranged with my Leica 1600 rangefinder, my best Group was 3 shots in 7 inches. That target is HUGE, it measures 3 ft wide, by 4 ft tall. I painted the entire target solid white for best visibility, The bullseye is a piece of common printer paper 8.5X11” painted black and hung in the center

The Accurate mold that you have a link to will no doubt be more pleasurable to load than the bullet i had made. But again my intentions was a TIGHT fitting bullet for hunting that i could trust 100% to stay put on the powder and that is EXACTLY what i ended up with. With my bullet and 40:1 Alloy, a short starter is your friend! I have loaded up to 5 of them with my thumb, but it gets REALLY hard on the thumb if you planned to shoot much, A short starter with a flat face is what i use, Then with my Range Rod it is a nice even, steady push to the powder. In my opinion the bullet i had made is an ultimate hunting bullet, at least for my style of hunting.

As far as fun, VERY accurate bullets, NOTHING beats Paper Patched bullets in my opinion!!! They are no doubt my favorite bullets to load and shoot from my bench. But as you can see a good Grease Groove bullet can be every bit as accurate. It really depends on what you want to do? With Paper Patched bullets and Real Blackpowder it is an absolute must to Swab between shots, if you try and reload a paper patched bullet on a fouled bore with Real Blackpowder you will likely strip the paper jacket from the bullet, or at least badly damage it. I use a mixture of Blue windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol 50/50 left in the windex bottle so i can take it to the Range with me, i dampen 1 patch good and swab the barrel getting the rough fouling loosened, then i run 2-3 dry patches to dry the bore, i leave the last dry patch seated against the breech and pop a cap against it. When you pull that patch and inspect there should be a brown burn to the patch (this is with no. 11 Caps) I am now ready to reload. When shooting from a bench for best accuracy, Swabbing between shots should be done regardless of PP or GG bullet. You want everything as consistent as you possibly can make it. I also swear by a Good Over Powder Wad, With Grease Groove bullets my choice is 1/8” Wool Felt, and for my Paper Patched bullets i use a .060 Vegetable fibre Wad. You want a good solid repeatable Gas seal behind the bullet. The only time I don’t recommend an Over Powder wad is if your barrel has a QLA Muzzle. I also pre Weigh my powder charges on a Grain scale the night before i shoot, i get them to a 10th of a Grain. I find that pre weighing my powder charges the night before is much handier than messing with a Volume measure in the field, plus it is WAY more accurate! All i have to do is open a little vial and dump my charge in. The Key to great accuracy is taking out every variable you possibly can, Make every shot as identical to the last 1 as you possibly can make it.

I size that Lyman 330gr Gould mold with a Lee .452 sizing die Tatarsky sized them to 451.5. I don’t have a problem with the Bullets moving off the chargeveuth my 461 WhiteRifles. By the way while advertised as a 330grmold my Bullets come out weighing approximately 346-347gr without lube.

If the gods smile on me I hope to get out and shoot the bullets you sent me. I’ll start off with 70 gr of Swiss 3F and go up to 80gr. I’ll let you know how I do.

edmehlig said:
I size that Lyman 330gr Gould mold with a Lee .452 sizing die Tatarsky sized them to 451.5. I don’t have a problem with the Bullets moving off the chargeveuth my 461 WhiteRifles. By the way while advertised as a 330grmold my Bullets come out weighing approximately 346-347gr without lube.

If the gods smile on me I hope to get out and shoot the bullets you sent me. I’ll start off with 70 gr of Swiss 3F and go up to 80gr. I’ll let you know how I do.

Sounds good Ed! The only difference in what i sent you and what I’ve been shooting is the Hardness factor, the bullets i sent you was back when the mold was brand new to me, and i used this really soft lead, i am thinking they will loosen up on you during loading? It will be interesting to see if they do that in your rifle? After bumping the hardness up to 8.5 BHN (40:1) they QUIT doing that. They start tight, and stay good n tight all the way.

I really LOVE Eds bullet for low speed 45cal loads and im certain they will shoot in a 1-30. I still like the non HP version better but Ron's test showed that they perform virtually the same as the HP.

IMO i would not go smaller than that. The higher sectional density helps it retain its weight and penetrate. Ive just never been a fan of REALs or Maxis for this application. They are better suited to a 1-48 twist.

Keep an eye out for that Lee 457-405-HP mold. I dont think Lee has made them since around 2006. I would pay or trade stuff to have bullets made from this mold. Preferably trades since i got around 50lbs of bullets. :D

GM54-120 said:
IMO i would not go smaller than that. The higher sectional density helps it retain its weight and penetrate. Ive just never been a fan of REALs or Maxis for this application. They are better suited to a 1-48 twist.

I agree GM54, The Lee R.E.A.L.s And TC Maxi’s were designed around the stock 1:48 twist. There are MUCH MUCH better choices for a faster 1:30 twist. My fast twist 50s and 54s have ZERO use For Maxi balls, i am done wasting powder, and Lead messing with them, i have WAY better bullets in all Calibers. Funny thing is my 1:30 twist above actually shot the TC Maxi ball pretty darn well. That particular rifle is the most un finicky rifle i own, it hasn’t argued with anything I’ve tried in it so far.

anyone have a few extra i could try before i buy a mold? Ive got coww, range scrap, and more or less pure to swap with

I need to pour some of my .45 Grease Groove bullets, After reading GM54-120s post above it got me to thinking, i have a brand new Lee .454 Sizer die i have never used, i will polish it up, Run a few through it, and check fit. That should make my bullet MUCH more pleasurable to load.

Lewis, I got to the range today. Unfortunately, the shooting conditions was not great as I had the sun directly in my eyes. To see me try and shoot was comical, to say the least. I manage to find a large piece of cardboard that I had resting over the scope and over my head trying to keep it from blowing off all while concentrating on shooting. Anyway, my White with the 1-20" twist seemed to like 60 or 65gr of Swiss 3F. I tried 70gr but the group opened up a little. If I had more bullets I'd go again at a different time so I won't have to deal with the sun. The 65gr target there are two shots in the left hole. The 60gr also shows promising and I'm sure I could better if it wasn't for the sun.

Attachments

• Bullet.png
    Bullet.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 240
edmehlig said:
Lewis, I got to the range today. Unfortunately, the shooting conditions was not great as I had the sun directly in my eyes. To see me try and shoot was comical, to say the least. I manage to find a large piece of cardboard that I had resting over the scope and over my head trying to keep it from blowing off all while concentrating on shooting. Anyway, my White with the 1-20" twist seemed to like 60 or 65gr of Swiss 3F. I tried 70gr but the group opened up a little. If I had more bullets I'd go again at a different time so I won't have to deal with the sun. The 65gr target there are two shots in the left hole. The 60gr also shows promising and I'm sure I could better if it wasn't for the sun.

Bullet.png

How did they load for you? Did they get loose on the way down? That particular lead is the softest stuff I have ever seen, BUTTERY soft! I personally don’t like it other than to mix it. I prefer this BACO 40:1 stuff

Back