New project omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
Just recently got an omega in the cheap...I love my omegas but this one is by far the worst shape I have ever gotten one in...but...it’s a .45! Something I don’t have..someone painted the entire thing :/ rattle can paint from the looks..the bore is pretty dirty as well but I thunk I can get that takin care of with some elbow grease and some bore paste. I paid 50$ for this thing..if anything I have an extra action for one of my other omegas..but I’m hoping to make this thing useable..wouldn’t mind making a carbine out of it as well..sure is ugly as of now tho, the breech plug came right out tho so maybe he bore isn’t as bad as I think..I will disassemble it tomorrow after work and see what I got myself into
dc4f562efe1a60c701d97fa35eb91989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id say you done alright on that one. It ought to clean up good as it is stainless.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Nice find. It's probably just fine under that sweet paint job.

My buddy I work with does a lot of trading and stuff online..he got this in trade and I asked what he needs for it. Said he traded a few knives for it that were worth around 40$. I offered 50 and he said deal..it came with some t7pellets but I’m pretty fond of my bh209

Dirty bore or rusty bore?
Either way, that's a nice buy, only surrendering a Ulysses S. Grant. :yeah:

Nice find and price! I have cleaned up a few Old Sidelocks that were in really rough shape, so far i am batting 100% on them shooting good even though the bores were rough, These old guns are tough! My weakness is TC Hawkens, and Renegades. A friend here close by just recently bought a brand new in the box Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle in .50 Cal, he has an old like brand new TC Hawken .54 Cal he told me he would sell, i sure hope he makes me a good deal on it, i would really like to have it for the Stock. Again, Good find! Clean it up good and put her back in service!

Get it cleaned up and hydro dip it. Or cerakote it.
That might make it look great again.

Might need some work on the bore but that paint job looks just fine to me. Can always send it to "Bestill" and have a smokeless build. I'd never pass up an Omega of any type for that money. They are great platform for SML build. W

The bore is pretty nasty...I’d love to make a sml out of it, im gonna see just how clean I can get the bore.i don’t have a lot of 45 cleaning accessories..I got it apart..the spray paint is terrible..chipping everywhere and it was a blued barrel at one point. I will check towards rate tonight but I thought all omegas were 1-28

Also I should mention the action won’t stay closed. Haven’t tore into that issue yet

Great tutorial on snugging up the action, I bought a used one with a broke trigger and had to go thru that whole process when I replaced it.

I've owned a couple of 45 caliber Omegas that were 1-28" twist .

I've heard a lot of people say that some of the 45 calibers were 1-20 but I find it hard to believe after TC had so many complaints with the Black Diamond 1-20 they offered replacements with a 1-28 twist so I just don't see TC repeating this when the Omegas were introduced.

Saxtonyoung said:
I've owned a couple of 45 caliber Omegas that were 1-28" twist .

I've heard a lot of people say that some of the 45 calibers were 1-20 but I find it hard to believe after TC had so many complaints with the Black Diamond 1-20 they offered replacements with a 1-28 twist so I just don't see TC repeating this when the Omegas were introduced.

First production of .45 Omegas were 1/20 twist. Sabot technology was lacking, and these barrels at that time had accuracy issues. TC offered the same deal as the BD's, they exchanged for 1/28 twist barrels.

I have 2 .45 cal 1-20 Omegas and 1 .45 1-20 TC Encore . They did make them but very hard to find . All early models . Fishawk knows what he is talking about . He found me 2 of my fast twist TCs.

So I dug this thing back out. Man is the bore nasty, idk is it’s fixable or not. The action was actually rusted shut when I got it, been soaking the entire thing in penetrating oil, I brought it to work today to strip the barrel of the spray paint. But these are a few pics I took...am I wasting my time?
d6dd96055891a9f8aa1c31ada18d6547.jpg
de3b907f4d2c50cbcdb4730e2219eeaa.jpg
ecd8f5e96183c6dd4fad5c832a791cec.jpg
79c8d9b624d0cb8a06d4555d85319053.jpg

If you can salvage action?

There's factory barrels out there available at fair price and stocks or boyd stock

Latest posts

Back