Knights new finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1smokepole

Reaction score
I was looking on there sight and they have new finish for there gun barrels nitride finish or stainless
look in the muzzleloader gallery to see.

knight-ultra-lite-nitride-rifle-green-209-primer-mul704ng.jpg

Huh, so woudda thunk? :huh?:

Now it will be the best thing since Al Gore invented the internet! :mrgreen:

Will T/C follow suit? Stop the painting, and start treating?

a1smokepole said:
I was looking on there sight and they have new finish for there gun barrels nitride finish or stainless
look in the muzzleloader gallery to see.

I have several parts that have been Nitrate and I really like them. The finish is extremely durable... and wow! does it clean easy as well as protect.

This is a Nitrate treated bolt that I have been using for 3 years now... It shows no sign of wear and tear...

NECG.jpg

Black nitride coating
A black nitride surface is very corrosion resistant, it doesn't corrode underneath as chroming or rust through as parkerizing does and is very durable. It is NOT black paint or a surface coating.

This link will provide information about the hardening process - using the Nitrate system...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding

Interesting, and nice to have the option if you wanted it. Not sure that it matters a whole lot from a corrosion standpoint... the stainless on Knights is outstanding if you take even semi proper care of it.

I think they should nitride the bolt too. :yeah:

I must be old school I just like plain stainless better but the bolt does look good.

The nitride finish just might seal the deal for me buying another muzzleloader.
Is everything nitride treated, bolt, firing pin ect? Anyone know if the all of the steel parts in the trigger group are treated?

Cattledog said:
The nitride finish just might seal the deal for me buying another muzzleloader.
Is everything nitride treated, bolt, firing pin ect? Anyone know if the all of the steel parts in the trigger group are treated?

So I looked on the site this morning. The gallery pic shows the bolt nitride now. They musta updated it from the pic Squeeze posted. Doesn't give any details on what parts are. They don't show it available to order yet online. I was wondering if the price would be the same or different. :huh?:

In the gallery it only shows the nitride on Mountaineer & UL. I wonder if it will be available on all models? I'm guessing they rolled this out at the show, and now are trying to get something on the site. Probably more to come.

More than anything else, Knight needs to produce a fall-action ML. Both fall & break-actions are what sell most nowadays.

They've tried that...Break actions simply can't compete in long range accuracy as bolt/plunger guns. Knight customers know this...CVA/Traditions/TC customers are willing to compromise range for more compactness and the myth of cleaning ease. Availability and popularity also comes into play because almost every store has a CVA/Traditions or TC MZ on the shelf...
In the end we choose what we like, but I disagree actually and believe should go the other way and drop the break actions from their line altogether and focus on the bread & butter they've built the company upon...
Knight's Break action's etc are OK guns, but are not as good as the competitions anyways.
Just my.02

GoexBlackhorn said:
More than anything else, Knight needs to produce a fall-action ML. Both fall & break-actions are what sell most nowadays.

Sales of the Knight Vision pale in comparison to the DISC based rifles and even their plunger guns. I cant think of anyone that still offers a fall action like the Omega. The old KRB, Shadow and Revolution cost Knight a fortune in losses. I doubt they are in any hurry to make the same mistakes as before.

The KPX variant of the KP1 was rumored over 2 years ago and its still not out.

more than anything else knight needs to learn customer service then worry about new models lol.

GM54-120 said:
GoexBlackhorn said:

Sales of the Knight Vision pale in comparison to the DISC based rifles and even their plunger guns. I cant think of anyone that still offers a fall action like the Omega. The old KRB, Shadow and Revolution cost Knight a fortune in losses. I doubt they are in any hurry to make the same mistakes as before.

The KPX variant of the KP1 was rumored over 2 years ago and its still not out.

My fall-action Omega is harder to clean in crevices, versus that of the break-action Vision.
Back then Knight overpriced their non-bolts/plungers, in a time period where CVA, Traditions and even Winchester were offering budget pricing in the same designs.

Knight will never be able to compete with imports that are far cheaper to make and they wont make rifles off shore. They could use the same basic materials like foreign made steel and stocks but it would still cost them more to assemble them here.

So if there is no way you can compete with import pricing without greater off shore production why would you want to? EBSCO tried that and it ruined them when they owned Knight. Tony Knight had nothing to do with those models.

Those cheaper Remington and Winchester MLs were nothing but rebranded Traditions and BPI/Dikar/CVA rifles with a few small upgrades. They were all totally foreign made.

I have several lightweight falling action and break action muzzleloaders. After shooting all of them I now hunt with the knight ultralight. The trigger is just better than the falling actions (omega) and there is just no slop on the barrel to stock fitment (contender and accura) . The closest muzzleloader to the ultralight might be the accura mr for me. The knight nitride treatment is just icing on the cake for my style of hunting, I. E. saltwater marsh hunting.

I wonder....is the nitride on inside of barrel also?

I agree with the others, Knights is not gonna dabble into the market they aren't really in. If people want a cheap and quite functional ML, there are plenty of options already.

My two hopes....I would like to see a fast twist .45 UL!
And decent shipping prices on the small stuff. Not sure if that has changed, but it used to be pretty high. Not sure why more companies don't use USPS flat rate shipping.

a1smokepole said:
I must be old school I just like plain stainless better but the bolt does look good.

First time I have ever heard stainless being called old school. Grin.

Be nice if they had a custom shop. Then they just keep current production models, but you could get a .45 fast twist UL, or a.32, or... How much more could it be for GM to take any barrel, and machine the Knight action.

Last time I stopped by, there is a company in East TN that currently does this Nitride/treatment on a lot of modern guns including AR platform stuff. The process is called LiFe (Lithium Iron Phosphate). Temps to 1000 degrees and its not a coating - bore is also black from the process.
Time will tell, but SS seems ok with me.

I'm with you Rick I like stainless steel . Had and have plenty of blued /black guns . I just like the look of stainless .

Latest posts

Back