I HAVE to go burn some powder in this new rifle today!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones816

Reaction score
I've got the itch, bad! I still don't have any BH so I'll use the 777s I have and I have 3 Hornady XTPs with green mmp sabots and I have 20 TC 250 gr Shock Wave in Super Glide sabots. This will be the first time firing this gun. I'll shoot the 3 XTPs first at 50 yards and see where we go from there. I'd like to get zeroed at 100 with the TCs and probably just 2 pellets. Soon I'll pick my new bullet, either the 275 gr Bloodline (if it'll fit) or the 265 gr Lehigh. Then I'll be switching to BH too. Hoping to have only minimal changes to the trajectory. What do you all think?

Sounds like a fun day. Dont forget to swab between shots. Take some photos to share.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I will not forget. 7* out right now so I'm waiting a couple hours, hopefully it will get above 10*!

Single digits is cold. Enjoy and have fun! :yeah:

Re: trajectory... its hard to say. One of my rifles had a 5" difference going from 240 Deep Curls, to 250 Bloodlines. Surprised me at the difference but that's why we shoot to make sure where we are. Both bullets shot good groups. You'll just have to shoot and see how yours does.

777 is pretty dirty . If your bullet fits tight going down the bore you will have to swab between shots . I've found that I get better accuracy swabbing between shots with 777. Some use spit patches others use Windex ect.. about any water bas cleaner will work . I use a damp patch followed by 1 dry patch . Sabotloader is the man to talk to when dealing with 777 he is very knowledgeable . I'm just trying to help you get started

Bones816 said:
Swab after every shot? Anything on the patch?

I shoot a lot of T7 and heavier charges than just about everyone except IIRC one other on this site. I use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. I swab after EVERY shot. Patches must not be wet, but only very slightly damp. We that use T7 and heavy charges know that if the patch is to wet, it destroys accuracy.

Well I left before reading your replies. I was swabbing with a dry patch. Damn it! On the 4th shot I had a miss fire. Never had that happen before. I waited it out and then removed the breech plug. Pellets dropped out but the bullet/sabot is stuck. Not cool. Double damn it! I’m home now but idk how I’m gonna push that thing out.
Things started out so well too.
I fired two primers and then shot a 3 shot group with the XTPs and two T7 pellets.
c1fb3532d8b4b612e16978658c611a6e.jpg

I swabbed (dry patch) stupid between shots then had to quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! I use Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine for swabbing at the range, or during Hunting Week, when I fire daily.

As I approach 70 years-old in a few years, I need 45-50 degrees, when spending 2-3-4 hours at the state-provided gun range. It could be 4-6 weeks longer for me, before Lower Michigan starts thawing out.

11* when I left but I had the range all to myself.
Now I have to get that bullet out!

It’s out. I guess I’ll clean it up and go back tomorrow!

Hang in there Bones, its all part of the game and fun.

herschel conyers said:
Hang in there Bones, its all part of the game and fun.

Oh yeah, I'm good with it. I'm learning every day even though I've shot black powder since like 1977! Not all the time but off and on. I was really hoping to get the Shock Waves lined up today but maybe tomorrow.

I can not get the crud ring out with a dry patch. Is that what it was stuck on?

I would say yes.
When you guys swab, with spit or windex , do you remove the breech plug?
Also, since I’m sure it was build up of fouling, I’m more concerned with the miss fire. I think though that the build up of crud on the end of the breech plug caused that. Yes?

I don't shoot T7, but do shoot Pyro in several of my rifles. I always swab with either a spit patch, or a lightly damp windex patch. Its just up and down a couple times to knock the heavy stuff down. BP stays in. Just makes it easier to load, and keeps it consistent.

My buddies that shoot T7 have to swab for sure, the crud ring is too heavy if they don't. One of the nice things about BH - I don't have to swab! :yeah:

At least you gotta be happy with your initial group....even if it was up close. :D

WV Hunter said:
I don't shoot T7, but do shoot Pyro in several of my rifles. I always swab with either a spit patch, or a lightly damp windex patch. Its just up and down a couple times to knock the heavy stuff down. BP stays in. Just makes it easier to load, and keeps it consistent.

My buddies that shoot T7 have to swab for sure, the crud ring is too heavy if they don't. One of the nice things about BH - I don't have to swab! :yeah:

At least you gotta be happy with your initial group....even if it was up close. :D

I was happy. I had just made adjustments to my scope and was switching to the Shock Waves when the malfunction occurred! A word to all... I put a Vortex Crossfire II on this rifle. It's nice and clear and I think it will do the job but... the clicks on the turrets are mushy. I don't really like that. Tomorrow is another day.

Looking just fine. :yeah: That crud ring will get harder with each shot if you don't swab between shots. No need to remove the plug to swab. I too just use Windex, just a very light spritz from the spray bottle so that the patch is barely damp. I have it in an old Eye glasses cleaner bottle in each range boxes. Run that up and down in short strokes till you reach the BP then pull it out and flip the patch and run it down again. Then do the same but with a dry patch. If I am hunting with T7 or Pyro. I use a spit patch.

When you switch over to BH you will not need to swab unless you have an oddball rifle like my KRB, It needs a dry patch swab, but it is an odd critter.

I'm all set to go back to the range tomorrow. I'm jacked! Hopefully my Windex won't freeze! I'm thinking if all goes well I'll run out of bullets! That's ok, I'm narrowing down my choices. And I want to burn up these pellets so I don't feel so bad about buying the BH! I've checked my local Walmarts, no black powder stuff in them. Sad. $40 at my local sporting goods store. Hoping to find it for $35 or less.

GoexBlackhorn said:
Me too! I use Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine for swabbing at the range, or during Hunting Week, when I fire daily.

As I approach 70 years-old in a few years, I need 45-50 degrees, when spending 2-3-4 hours at the state-provided gun range. It could be 4-6 weeks longer for me, before Lower Michigan starts thawing out.

I'm 61 and in NE Wisconsin.

Latest posts

Back