Globe Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

Seems like this sight is no longer available for purchase. Kinda sad; i think i like it. The shield can be rotated which allows one to control the brightness of the fiber optic. This seems to be a real nice feature. It is good the globe protects the fiber optic .

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

Broke trail on the way in, and saw a few deer tracks. Quit snowing late yesterday.

IMG_2755.JPG

It was -7° when i left the house. At 4900' it was -14° when the shooting started. Aim was the bottom of the black circle. Load was 250g XTP, 90g Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Seems i could/should have shot better? Sure seemed warm when i carried the target back to the truck. It was 1° when i headed for the house.

IMG_2754.JPG

Warmed up here; decided to do some shooting. Mine was the first vehicle to leave the highway, so i had the fun of breaking trail through fresh fluff.

IMG_2764.JPG

Cut fresh lion tracks; decided he was a big old tom with my expertise. :mrgreen: Went ahead, and did some shooting. Load was the same as the OP; range was 101 yard.

IMG_2759.JPG

Conditions for shooting were perfect. The shot target disgusted me; decided to sell the rust bucket rifle. Made six shots; decided to check out the lion tracks.

IMG_2765.JPG

Wondered if he had just made a kill because of the blood, so parked the truck, and followed him up the ridge. From time to time the tracks looked too small to be a tom; made me think the lion may have been a female, but just couldn't decide. Saw a deer that for some reason didn't know i was there. Every now and again i saw blood in the track; decided the lion had a leaking foot. When the lion started up toward the highest steepest mountain in the area, i said 'good bye'. Took the final picture of a track with a large drop in it.

IMG_2773.JPG

The Tracks of the lion are pretty cool. Shame about the rifle. Is this the same Rusty Omega you were going to sell or a different one. :huh?: Thought you may have broke it up and parted it out. The camo style looks different on this one.

I like the front sight.. Also, keep finding interest in open sights (Western) shooters at Friendship - maybe an in-line (any rifle) open sight match??
I also think you need a nick-name with all these interesting Lion tracks - LionLaughlin, that may be too long..

I have that ghost ring and peep sight set on a factory Pro Hunter barrel. It's a great set up and has been my favorite open sight setup I've tried so far. I had planned to try a setup like yours, with a better peep for the rear sight and the globe sight for the front. Then MN allowed scopes and I stopped messing with it.

Here we can only use iron sights or 1X scopes. No matter how hard i try, i just am unable to make friends with the 1X scope. Just recently found the globe sight on the shelf, and gave it a try. The ghost ring left a lot to be desired, so the FP sight was tried, and it is much better. The FP sight adjusts in ¼ minute clicks just like a scope, which helps when adjustment is necessary.

I had been looking for on of those to try, although I heard they are fragile? I haven't handled one to know. What are your thoughts on durability in the field?

I had been looking for on of those to try, although I heard they are fragile? I haven't handled one to know. What are your thoughts on durability in the field?

IMG_2793.JPG

You can see the body of the sight surrounds the aim point with a 1/8" aluminum ring.

IMG_2798.JPG

The fiber optic light catcher is exposed to the world, when the shield isn't in place. It seems part of the sight is very durable, whereas part of the sight isn't. Under the exposed fiber optic light catcher is a metal ring protecting the sight itself. The fiber optic of the actual sight is the same as the fiber optic exposed.

IMG_2756.JPG

The fiber optic is protected by the sliding ring when it is set for minimum light.

Back