Cleaning between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENCORE50A said:
I shot 3 bottles of BH through my rifle and used Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine swabbing between shots, with no issues that I could identify.
But again, much less on the patches than most use. I used the same when cleaning the rifle, which cleaned up no different.

I have used Butch’s Blackpowder Bore shine as well to swab between shots, I couldn’t tell any difference in it and my 50/50 mix of Blue Windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol, the Windex solution is much cheaper to use so I’ve stayed with it

GM54-120 said:
Original Butch's Bore Shine is loaded with stuff including lots of benzenes.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... ch_sds.pdf

Geez! that is really different than the one posted by Encore... but also now I realize the one that Encore put up was for Black Powder so It makes more sense that it has the petroleum based elements removed.

And that is probably the product that I once had for centerfire rifles....

The one posted by Encore is really pretty benign in comparison!

Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:
I shot 3 bottles of BH through my rifle and used Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine swabbing between shots, with no issues that I could identify.
But again, much less on the patches than most use. I used the same when cleaning the rifle, which cleaned up no different.

I have used Butch’s Blackpowder Bore shine as well to swab between shots, I couldn’t tell any difference in it and my 50/50 mix of Blue Windex and 91% isopropyl Alcohol, the Windex solution is much cheaper to use so I’ve stayed with it

The difference between Windex and Butch's Blackpowder Bore Shine is .... nothing more is needed with Butch's, when hunting an entire week or two up-north. That's why I use it, instead of alcohol or Windex.

There is a small amount of preservative in the Butch's., which helps prevents rust for short-term duties. I only shoot 50-100 shots per year, using all three of my muzzleloaders. If I were someone that shot 100-500 times per year, I would switch back to either Windex, windshield washer fluid (Cayugad's favorite) or 70% rubbing alcohol at the range.

I find BBPBS at around $8.60 a bottle, is probably the cheapest thing related to my shooting :wink: A bottle will last most shooters many seasons.

I use a similar method like sabotloader does with windex, but go a little beyond getting more out of the patches. I'll soak a pile then actually wring them out to get every drop I can from them. After wringing them out, I take an equal number of dry patches, then make every other patch in a pile a dry patch. Once I'm through, I'll run them between fingers and thumb, compressing them together, then they go into the air tight container.
When at the range, one patch both sides. Even as little dampness as there is, it still makes loading the next round easy. Use to much and my groups suffer.

sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:
Original Butch's Bore Shine is loaded with stuff including lots of benzenes.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... ch_sds.pdf

Geez! that is really different than the one posted by Encore... but also now I realize the one that Encore put up was for Black Powder so It makes more sense that it has the petroleum based elements removed.

And that is probably the product that I once had for centerfire rifles....

The one posted by Encore is really pretty benign in comparison!

My thoughts too. The black powder version is FAR less toxic. On a side note, some people worry about the ammonia in windex...Well, ammonium hydroxide is in many CF solvents including Butch's.

I see Windex used a lot. I’ve seen both versions; vinegar and ammonia. What’s the difference between them cleaning wise? I would think either one would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik2313 said:
I see Windex used a lot. I’ve seen both versions; vinegar and ammonia. What’s the difference between them cleaning wise? I would think either one would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They both will and they both do... but regualar Blue has ammonia instead of vinegar. Ammonia is a natural metal stripper/cleaner and even tho the the amount of ammonia in the Windex is very low it still cleans - but more imprtantly it evaparates rapidly and carries water molercules with it as it evaporates.

Found it...

This note from Dan Lilja explains why I wen the ammonia direction...

Windex with ammoinia

Dan Lilja of Lilja Precision Rifle barrels has never seen any damage in one of his barrels caused by the use of ammonia. Dan writes: "The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again, I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes examination with our bore scope.

GoexBlackhorn said:
There is a small amount of preservative in the Butch's., which helps prevents rust for short-term duties. I only shoot 50-100 shots per year, using all three of my muzzleloaders. If I were someone that shot 100-500 times per year, I would switch back to either Windex, windshield washer fluid (Cayugad's favorite) or 70% rubbing alcohol at the range.

After Swabbing good my last shot of the Day, i run an oily patch back n forth through the bore good (I have even sprayed oil down the bore and plunged back n forth til oil spit from the nipple) I only do this if it’s a occasion that i don’t plan to clean immediately when i get home which is RARE, but things can come up. My guns ALWAYS get tore down and thoroughly cleaned the same day they were shot, But if something pops up that I can’t get to it til later that evening i do the procedure above.

GoexBlackhorn said:
If I were someone that shot 100-500 times per year, I would switch back to either Windex, windshield washer fluid (Cayugad's favorite) or 70% rubbing alcohol at the range.

I am this someone (i shoot a BUNCH) As much as i shoot i would need to buy stock in Butch’s Bore Shine

sabotloader said:
Found it...[/b]

This note from Dan Lilja explains why I wen the ammonia direction...

Windex with ammoinia

Dan Lilja of Lilja Precision Rifle barrels has never seen any damage in one of his barrels caused by the use of ammonia. Dan writes: "The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again, I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes examination with our bore scope.

Sabotloader, I have used this EXACT same piece by Dan Lilja in the past when arguing the use of Ammonia in bores. If it’s good enough for Lilja Barrels, it’s good enough for me!

Latest posts

Back