Cleaning between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
I'm just curious what you guys use to clean between shots while using Black or Triple seven ? I know Sabotloader uses Windex and Encore 50 uses Butches bore shine . I read somewhere that there was a product that would work with 777 or Blackhorn 209
. Is that correct ? If so what is the product ?

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm just curious what you guys use to clean between shots while using Black or Triple seven ? I know Sabotloader uses Windex and Encore 50 uses Butches bore shine . I read somewhere that there was a product that would work with 777 or Blackhorn 209
. Is that correct ? If so what is the product ?

When using a 209 ignition - I do run a slightly damp Windex patch between shots, many others use Alcohol, others just a plain spit patch - just about anything with a little moisture content will work.... they real key is it does not have be wet..

For BH most do not run a patch between shots - well I guess I should I don't because others have said it is not necessary.

But I know in my mind if I were shooting for importance I probably would run a patch because I believe I want the bore in the condition from shot to shot..

When it comes to cleaning I clean both the same way.

Yeah, on the range I use windex lightly damp patches for anything other than BH209. In the field, I just use a spit patch.
No swabbing for me with BH209 :yeah:

When Blackhorn first came out I tested the not swabbing idea; I did 10 shots with a load and bullet that shot good and swabbed between shots then I tried 10 shots with everything the same except no swabbing the no swabbing group was 3/4 inch smaller; I have never looked back I am not hung up on swabbing.
Now guns are different and it may not work the same in all types of gun but my Encores have had as many as 50 shot through them and still group the same so does the Triumph.

Could I guy use the TC #13 solvent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking for something that may do both . Sounds like Butches Bore Shine is the product . Is that a oil based or water based product ?

Spit patch here. Once down the licked side, once down the dry side. My groups are better and more consistent this way. Every 10-15 shots, I'll run a patch with TC Bore Cleaner followed by a couple #11's only to make sure it's dry before resuming my range session.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I was looking for something that may do both . Sounds like Butches Bore Shine is the product . Is that a oil based or water based product ?
Actually if you are going to use black powder and subs other than blackhorn. Moose milk is best

When I'm at the range, trying to dial in a load, I try to clean between every shot. You'll find a lot of different methods and people having success with all of them. Generally, I use one CVA pre-soaked cleaning patch, followed by two dry patches. For me, this is essential when using Triple Seven or IMR White Hot's. When using Blackhorn, I don't think this is as important, as there generally isn't a crud ring to worry about. More than anything, I've just noticed waiting for several shots allows the crud ring to build up more than I'd like. After dialing in the load, I will then usually shoot a 3 shot group without cleaning to make sure the groupings will still be good in the field, should I need a followup shot.

Again, everyone has a different successful method, it just comes down to your personal preference and what is accurate with your gun. Good luck!

Bones816 said:
Could I guy use the TC #13 solvent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure you could but it might be to wet if you are using their solvent patches. You really do not want the patchest two wet... I make these Windex patches (the ammonia in the solution evaps in a hurry and carries moisture with it) - with them I do not even have to use a dry patch after swabbing. Or you could do the same thing with alcohol...

Win_Patch.jpg

Dougs136Schwartz said:

I was wondering the same thing... I actually thought I had some Bore Shine here but I do not. I also looked for the MSDS for the product and did not find one in a quick search... I am thinking there may be some petroleum product in the solution...

But then again the Windex thing works very well for me both patching and cleaning...

Bore_Cleaning.jpg

sabotloader said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

I was wondering the same thing... I actually thought I had some Bore Shine here but I do not. I also looked for the MSDS for the product and did not find one in a quick search... I am thinking there may be some petroleum product in the solution...

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... ne_sds.pdf

ENCORE50A said:
sabotloader said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... ne_sds.pdf

Thanks - and that answers that question... no petroleum

I believe butchs bore shine comes in 2 formulas.
One for blackpowder and one for smokeless which works well with blackhorn

I shot 3 bottles of BH through my rifle and used Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine swabbing between shots, with no issues that I could identify.
But again, much less on the patches than most use. I used the same when cleaning the rifle, which cleaned up no different.

Back