The wait begins

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have one of the clear view measurers it seems to be pretty accurate with small charges, Ive got a .45 under hammer pistol Ive been shooting 10 gr in with it. More then likely will shoot BH if can get a good load worked up..be less hassle with tiny bore.
Was reading last night where with just primer/patched ball no powder(380 fps), either Toby Bridges or another guy were hitting a target at 100 yds and getting decent groups, not sure if a 47 gr ball going 380 fps could hold good groups at 100 yds maybe 50.

Squeeze said:
yep, you never have to worry about a dryball. shooting level, the primer alone bloops the ball about 25-30 yards till it hits ground. the 209s make a pretty good crud ring with black in a small bore. Blackhorn works fine, But will probably need some fine tuning in a 48 twist. you will need a pistol measure, to get the small charges consistent.

dbowling said:
As far as weight Jeff said somewhere 4.5# for barrel/action pl. weight of stock, probably right at 7# Im guessing.

ShawnT said:
That's about what I was thinking but could not remember for sure. I have one of the articles printed out but not the one with the chart.

I like blue or matte Blue with Walnut myself. :yeah:

What stock are you planning to use? Is it a boyds?

theres no way they were shooting 100 yards with primer alone. Those speeds are ballpark correct for primers, but even if you lobbed them, I doubt they would penetrate saran wrap at 50 yards. Pedersoli makes a 5.5mm 'parlor gun' (.177) that's fired by shotgun primers alone, But I doubt even that would do 100 yard targets

Boyds Heritage Standard Walnut

ShawnT said:
dbowling said:
As far as weight Jeff said somewhere 4.5# for barrel/action pl. weight of stock, probably right at 7# Im guessing.

ShawnT said:
That's about what I was thinking but could not remember for sure. I have one of the articles printed out but not the one with the chart.

I like blue or matte Blue with Walnut myself. :yeah:

What stock are you planning to use? Is it a boyds?

that's what I think also as with anything on the net take it with a grain of salt.. I know I wouldn't want to be at 25 yds and get hit with a 47 gr ball going 380 fps at least not w/o protective clothing on.

Squeeze said:
theres no way they were shooting 100 yards with primer alone. Those speeds are ballpark correct for primers, but even if you lobbed them, I doubt they would penetrate saran wrap at 50 yards. Pedersoli makes a 5.5mm 'parlor gun' (.177) that's fired by shotgun primers alone, But I doubt even that would do 100 yard targets

Back