The wait begins

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just sent Jeff(Bestill) money for my custom Omega .32 cal squirrel rifle, 26 in. barrel, 1:48(strictly round ball).010 rifling, Boyds Heritage stock (standard walnut), black grip cap, forearm cap, white line spacer butt pad, fleur de`lis(stippling), integrated lug system,209,picatinny rail and bedded lug.. oh yeah laser engraved squirrel on stock :D Should be approx. 5 months.

8) What contour on the barrel? Did you consider a 30 twist? I love mine and all I shoot is RB. I have been thinking the omega might be a real good action to make a nice lighter rifle. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Your going to love the .32. :yeah: Those tree rats will be in trouble. :D

Im excited to build this squirrel killer.
Hurry up barrel maker.

Rice barrels recommended groove depth and twist, said will be extremely accurate so going with what they thinks best..my 1:48 Deerstalker .32 I had shot good with 15-20 gr of powder so will see how this one does, going to try BH in it also, probably 10 gr. or so.
Will go from 1 in. for 8 inches to 13/16 for rest of barrel. No open sights strictly scoped.

may be putting a couple White .504`s up for sale to finance this project. :)

ShawnT said:
8) What contour on the barrel? Did you consider a 30 twist? I love mine and all I shoot is RB. I have been thinking the omega might be a real good action to make a nice lighter rifle. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Your going to love the .32. :yeah: Those tree rats will be in trouble. :D

dbowling said:
Just sent Jeff(Bestill) money for my custom Omega .32 cal squirrel rifle, 26 in. barrel, 1:48(strictly round ball).010 rifling, Boyds Heritage stock (standard walnut), black grip cap, forearm cap, white line spacer butt pad, fleur de`lis(stippling), integrated lug system,209,picatinny rail and bedded lug.. oh yeah laser engraved squirrel on stock :D Should be approx. 5 months.
I know the feeling. Sounds like you are in line behind me. I put a deposit down last week for a custom Omega with a .45 1:20 twist Brux barrel. Jeff told me 4 months. He did say he was getting covered up with orders these last few months. Probably due to the high praise of his work from everyone for whom he has built a rifle!

dbowling said:
Rice barrels recommended groove depth and twist, said will be extremely accurate so going with what they thinks best..my 1:48 Deerstalker .32 I had shot good with 15-20 gr of powder so will see how this one does, going to try BH in it also, probably 10 gr. or so.
Will go from 1 in. for 8 inches to 13/16 for rest of barrel. No open sights strictly scoped.

ShawnT said:
So not much taper. I'd be afraid it would be a bit heavy but that depends on the shooter too. :wink: Still can't wait to see it.

WV Hunter said:
Ok, so what is the difference in the 48 or 30? For those in the know...

The idea is that the faster twist let you shoot lower powder charges to get into the speed of target or standard velocity 22lr and was less finicky on load. I have shot my Ridgerunner with the Oregon barrel with as low as 10gnV of pyroP and it still shot great on paper. My go to hunting load is what I call 18gnV of pyroP. I call it 18 because the measure stem is a little under the 20gnV line. My Marathon has a 48 twist twist ad it shot better at 25gnV.

It will be very interesting to see what load you end up with using the 48twist and a 209 primer. My rifles are #11caps. In the GMB 32 the primers changed the velocity a good bit. They even shot the patched ball out with just a primer but I can't remember the velocity they got with just a primer. :huh?: With the Omega 209 set up using a real good tight fitting patch and ball I would bet you could use a real light load of maybe 10gnV of BH.

Dean, what finish are you going with, Is it a stainless or Chrome Molly barrel?

Sounds like a REALLY fun rifle!! Small bores are addicting! Can’t wait to see your new rifle! :yeah:

dbowling said:

ShawnT said:

One of the Whites a Thunderbolt ? I need a .50 Thunderbolt to complete my set .

Sorry no Thunderbolts.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
dbowling said:

ShawnT said:

One of the Whites a Thunderbolt ? I need a .50 Thunderbolt to complete my set .

Not going stainless I know that want a blued barrel, Jeff was going to check with Rice again to see what we can get it in.
With walnut stock I liked blued over stainless.
Also I read somewhere that a 209 primer in .32 can push a RB out at about 280-300 fps, not sure if that's accurate or not but just seen it the other night searching old threads.
10 GnV of BH was what I was thinking might work also.

FOUND THE CHART

http://www.Hpmuzzleloading.com/technical3.html

With a variety of the primers, I headed for the range with the Green Mountain .32 in-line rifle and my chronograph. I started by snapping a couple of primers to get a little base fouling in the bore. Then I wiped the bore with four clean dry patches, exactly how I would wipe the bore between each and every shot. I figured this would give me the same amount of resistance for each and every primer popped behind the well greased patch and light ball. And for each primer tested, I fired 5 shots across the chronograph, then eliminated the highest and lowest velocity readings. The velocities of the remaining three shots were then averaged. And here are the velocities that were recorded for the following No. 209 primers...including the new "Muzzleloading Primers".

Winchester 209ML ........................221 f.p.s.
Winchester 209 Triple Seven ML.....244 f.p.s.
Remington 209 Kleanbore ML ........318 f.p.s.
Std. Winchester No. 209A ..............336 f.p.s.
Std. Remington No. 209 .................341 f.p.s.
Cheddite No. 209 ...........................347 f.p.s.
Federal No. 209A ...........................381 f.p.s.
And for comparison, we also ran the Precision Rifle "Vari-Flame" through this test, using both Winchester "Small Pistol" and "Small Rifle" primers.
Winchester WSP "Small Pistol" ........116 f.p.s.
Winchester WSR "Small Rifle" .........143 f.p.s.

Another article
http://www.namlhunt.com/mlprimers.html

ShawnT said:
WV Hunter said:
Ok, so what is the difference in the 48 or 30? For those in the know...

The idea is that the faster twist let you shoot lower powder charges to get into the speed of target or standard velocity 22lr and was less finicky on load. I have shot my Ridgerunner with the Oregon barrel with as low as 10gnV of pyroP and it still shot great on paper. My go to hunting load is what I call 18gnV of pyroP. I call it 18 because the measure stem is a little under the 20gnV line. My Marathon has a 48 twist twist ad it shot better at 25gnV.

It will be very interesting to see what load you end up with using the 48twist and a 209 primer. My rifles are #11caps. In the GMB 32 the primers changed the velocity a good bit. They even shot the patched ball out with just a primer but I can't remember the velocity they got with just a primer. :huh?: With the Omega 209 set up using a real good tight fitting patch and ball I would bet you could use a real light load of maybe 10gnV of BH.

Dean, what finish are you going with, Is it a stainless or Chrome Molly barrel?

That's about what I was thinking but could not remember for sure. I have one of the articles printed out but not the one with the chart.

I like blue or matte Blue with Walnut myself. :yeah:

As far as weight Jeff said somewhere 4.5# for barrel/action pl. weight of stock, probably right at 7# Im guessing.

ShawnT said:
That's about what I was thinking but could not remember for sure. I have one of the articles printed out but not the one with the chart.

I like blue or matte Blue with Walnut myself. :yeah:

yep, you never have to worry about a dryball. shooting level, the primer alone bloops the ball about 25-30 yards till it hits ground. the 209s make a pretty good crud ring with black in a small bore. Blackhorn works fine, But will probably need some fine tuning in a 48 twist. you will need a pistol measure, to get the small charges consistent.

Back