Remington Ultimate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Rather Remington's current status is promoting it or not, Remington appears to be now cracking down on shooters who insist on using BH209 in the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Remington is stating that BH209 IS NOT an approved propellant.
Now this is something that I've been suggesting since the RUM went into production, but some writer promoted it and off everyone went, even though its never been written in the owner's manual as an approved propellant. Someone at the call desk at Remington told people that they could shoot BH from the rifle, actually more than one shooter was told this. However, it appears things have changed.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. The warranty department stated they had no clue where my gun was due to it not being in their system, even tho they sent UPS to pick it up and had records of it being delivered at their facility. Today I received an email that the gun would be delivered today by the end of day, which the gun showed up via UPS. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I’m curious due to Remington previously telling me I’m fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington’s stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."

My question is why would you want a gun that your made to only shoot one type of powder, if 90 percent of all inlines can shoot BH why would they design a gun that can not, especially when that's the powder most people are wanting to go to?

dbowling said:
My question is why would you want a gun that your made to only shoot one type of powder, if 90 percent of all inlines can shoot BH why would they design a gun that can not, especially when that's the powder most people are wanting to go to?

I would suggest that the rifle itself isn't for 90%+ of the shooters. I know a lot think BH209 is a must go to propellant, but other propellants shoot just fine and can be extremely accurate. I myself used to be of that mindset, until I started shooting some of the targets I've shot with pellets.
Its a different rifle, that's all. A writer started the craze of BH in the RUM, now I guess Remington has to fix it.

I'm not of that mindset but the market for muzzleloaders is, I shot pellets for along time and had no problems with getting great accuracy but the cost for them is now getting ridiculous especially if you shoot a lot. Makes no difference to me what powder people shoot, but I would think it would to a manufacturer who is in a very limited market to begin with and that they would want the biggest market share they can get.
I personally like 777 but don't care for the crud ring only reason I even started to shoot BH to try and get away from it.

ENCORE50A said:
dbowling said:

I would suggest that the rifle itself isn't for 90%+ of the shooters. I know a lot think BH209 is a must go to propellant, but other propellants shoot just fine and can be extremely accurate. I myself used to be of that mindset, until I started shooting some of the targets I've shot with pellets.
Its a different rifle, that's all. A writer started the craze of BH in the RUM, now I guess Remington has to fix it.

dbowling said:
I'm not of that mindset but the market for muzzleloaders is, I shot pellets for along time and had no problems with getting great accuracy but the cost for them is now getting ridiculous especially if you shoot a lot. Makes no difference to me what powder people shoot, but I would think it would to a manufacturer who is in a very limited market to begin with and that they would want the biggest market share they can get.
I personally like 777 but don't care for the crud ring only reason I even started to shoot BH to try and get away from it.

The RUM will shoot any other propellant, including BP. It'll also shoot BH, so will my BP Xpress. However, it is not recommended and people should know that going in. BH just gas cuts the heck out of the BP's in both rifles and the only apparent reason is because of the nitro cellulous properties it contains. I shot BH from Encore platform rifles, and BH and magnum primers, ate flash holes like candy. Guys on this site have attempted to fix the issue, some with exceptional success.
Still these rifles are pretty darn good long range rifles, even shooting pellets, but they can shoot any loose propellant too.

That's different I thought they were limited to pellets only and nothing else,my bad.

ENCORE50A said:
dbowling said:

The RUM will shoot any other propellant, including BP. It'll also shoot BH, so will my BP Xpress. However, it is not recommended and people should know that going in. BH just gas cuts the heck out of the BP's in both rifles and the only apparent reason is because of the nitro cellulous properties it contains. I shot BH from Encore platform rifles, and BH and magnum primers, ate flash holes like candy. Guys on this site have attempted to fix the issue, some with exceptional success.
Still these rifles are pretty darn good long range rifles, even shooting pellets, but they can shoot any loose propellant too.

Whats the life span on those cases? do the fouling primers count as a shot off life expectancy? I have a RUM, Ive never shot. I really just want the action, but Ive been toying with rebarreling it in .50 with LRMP module (HIS system) so its the same gun, BH, or even smokeless compatible.

dbowling said:
That's different I thought they were limited to pellets only and nothing else,my bad.

Actually the ignition system was designed to shoot pellets ;) However both the UF and RUM rifles will shoot loose propellants. I've shot loose T7 from my BP Xpress and it works well. I have 6# of BP, but have yet to shoot it through my BP Xpress.

I recently recieved a new Remington ultimate to build but prior to stripping it down i fired 2 of the primer cases and primer moved out of case .028 so i checked headspace it is officially. 030 loose thats awful it would leak with any powder

bestill said:
I recently recieved a new Remington ultimate to build but prior to stripping it down i fired 2 of the primer cases and primer moved out of case .028 so i checked headspace it is officially. 030 loose thats awful it would leak with any powder

Exactly! That's why headspace is so critical with these rifles. Note also, that the brass case itself can vary .005"

Its why I've worked so hard getting things perfect with my UF.

With the tallent and equipment that you have Jeff, there's a fix for that which would be easy for you and the rifle doesn't need a new BP.

It's getting a 45 barrel and lrmp system.
That will fix it

dbowling said:

I completely agree

Even with the powder limitations, for some reason I can't help but feel drawn to one of the RUM's. There's one at the local Scheels that I have to handle every time I'm there. It's one of the few muzzleloaders that I would consider buying at this time.

SuperKirby said:
Even with the powder limitations, for some reason I can't help but feel drawn to one of the RUM's. There's one at the local Scheels that I have to handle every time I'm there. It's one of the few muzzleloaders that I would consider buying at this time.

If the RUM has the head space set correctly, which it definately should before it hits the consumers hands, it can be a darn good and accurate HUNTING RIFLE. The rifles were never designed or manufactured for target rifles. If you're looking for a target rifle, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Some complain because its not designed to shoot BH. Well what did those same guys use 10 or so years ago and never seemed to be a problem? As popular as BH is, there are still tens of thousands of muzzleloader shooters using other propellants, including pellets. Its surprising the number of hunters who still prefer and hunt with pellets with absolutely zero problems and, they're filling their freezers. The cost of pellets isn't an issue for hunters that use them and that shoot a couple rounds before the season and hunt.
Also note that there are some pretty darn good and ACCURATE shooters, as evidence clearly indicates, that are shooting common black powder through their modern inline rifles, of which the RUM is capable of too.

As for breech plug issues.......... take some time to read some of the posts on this and other sites, where there have been issues with breech plugs since the beginning of modern inline rifles..... and still are. Look at the brand new Knight rifles that are being sent to Bestill for modification. How about all the vent liners being installed, shimming, "O" rings being used because of blow back. CVA rifles .. from the box .. are not capable of shooting BH. You have to purchase a different breech plug from CVA or Western to shoot BH from a brand new rifle. Also, it appears that BH can and will erode breech plug flash holes in production BP's, which have to be replaced. Some with less than 100 rounds, others with slightly more.

I agree, a person shouldn't spend $750 or more on a rifle and have to worry about rather its head spaced properly. That's simply a quality control problem by the manufacturer that quite frankly, should NEVER happen.
IMO, there's no perfect production built HUNTING muzzleloader. There's a lot of good ones, but none of them are perfect. If its perfection in a muzzleloader that one actually wants, then the best way to achieve that is to have a custom built.

Everyone is entitled to a opionion . One shouldn't take offense . Your right it's tuff to find the perfect production muzzleloader .

Latest posts

Back